Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 21
Default

I agree, work of an artistic nature has soo many wonderful qualities. I think one of the root problems currently is that we live in a society of quantification. Everything must have a value and worth assigned - which just doesn't fit into the artistic perspective. Something can be trash to one person but a masterpiece to the next. For example many people must consider cave paintings to be primitive and unworthy of their time, but to me there's such immense beauty at sites like Cueva De Las Manos or Laas Gaal. Art's too subjective to be confined to one price - and I think the nature of art is so enigmatical it's an area that's bound to be underfunded and disregarded as important..
TiersenYann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiersenYann View Post
I agree, work of an artistic nature has soo many wonderful qualities. I think one of the root problems currently is that we live in a society of quantification. Everything must have a value and worth assigned - which just doesn't fit into the artistic perspective. Something can be trash to one person but a masterpiece to the next. For example many people must consider cave paintings to be primitive and unworthy of their time, but to me there's such immense beauty at sites like Cueva De Las Manos or Laas Gaal. Art's too subjective to be confined to one price - and I think the nature of art is so enigmatical it's an area that's bound to be underfunded and disregarded as important..
Question

Do you think art should be free or that it should become a product for profit?

Im asking for your personal opinion cause ive always thought art should be free and accessible to anyone but i also think artists should be able to live of their art.

i has a dilemma.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Earth Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Hey man. I wonder why The Monks only made one album? Must have been because of illegal file sharing back in the 60's.
Your comment is a logical fallacy. Computers did not exist in the 60s.

"I wonder why those cavemen stopped singing?"--illegal downloads:

...doesn't work, bro.


Different world...different reasons. Most likely a poor marketing strategy. The fact that people bought Neil Young or Bob Dylan albums tells me that it's not that the music sucked. Crappy music sells millions of copies every day.
Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
Your comment is a logical fallacy. Computers did not exist in the 60s.

"I wonder why those cavemen stopped singing?"--illegal downloads:

...doesn't work, bro.


Different world...different reasons. Most likely a poor marketing strategy. The fact that people bought Neil Young or Bob Dylan albums tells me that it's not that the music sucked. Crappy music sells millions of copies every day.
My comment was a sarcastic remark.

Funnily enough computers did exist in the 60's, if you know the history of them...
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Earth Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiersenYann View Post
Haha. You would have thought if you could do all that yourself (it would be awesome if every artist could) - you would have much more bargaining power when labels start approaching you..
I've been signed several times. Bargaining power? Labels are banks that loan artists money to polish the band into a marketable product, from the way they dress to the kinds of social issues the bands back. Once the label molds the band and it's image, they throw in some tour support and sell the band to fans with a marketing package that includes radio, venue support and SWAG. If the label doesn't recoup in X amount of time, they drop the band and write them off on their taxes. The only way you have any say in your art is if you've already made your own record and proven you can sell lots of records by yourselves. Some labels have tiny networks, and some have huge networks. A full package deal from Halogen Records will be completely different than a full package deal from Atlantic. You need to know a lot before you sign with the devil. Just get yourself an good entertainment attorney, you don't really need the label until your lawyer advises you.

Other than those items, Labels are completely useless. If an artist already has a following and sells their own records, books their own shows, they don't need a label, they need a distribution house and a tour manager.
Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Earth Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
My comment was a sarcastic remark.

Funnily enough computers did exist in the 60's, if you know the history of them...
I have a PhD in literature with a minor in philosophy. I've taken a few university level history classes in my day. The difference in technology between now and the 60s is like comparing a plastic ice scraper to a Go-Pro digital camera.



The World Wide Web did not exist.
Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
I have a PhD in literature with a minor in philosophy. I've taken a few university level history classes in my day. The difference in technology between now and the 60s is like comparing a plastic ice scraper to a Go-Pro digital camera.



The World Wide Web did not exist.
I wasn't comparing them was I?
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #38 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
I have a PhD in literature with a minor in philosophy. I've taken a few university level history classes in my day. The difference in technology between now and the 60s is like comparing a plastic ice scraper to a Go-Pro digital camera.



The World Wide Web did not exist.
For some reason I want to say Zero knows that. But I could be wrong. Edumacation is a powerful bro.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Earth Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Default

I know. Ha! I'm just mess in' too.

This looks like a cool site. Is the gang pretty regular here?
Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Earth Rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I wasn't comparing them was I?
Well...you compared them when you used The Monks example in reference to "illegal downloads in the 60s."

It's called juxtaposition.
Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.