Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Default What's the appeal of Prince?

Since his death he seems to have achieved near mythic status, but I grew up in the 80s and was never hugely impressed, albeit only judging it from his singles. I decided to watch one of his early hits on Youtube, "When Doves Cry"


Honestly I find it quite bland and mediocre.
Captain_Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,109
Default

nobody actually listens to Prince
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 23,917
Default

Yeah I know, you'd wonder, wouldn't you? A guy who at sixteen could play every instrument, write, compose, produce, engineer, promote his own music. A guy who crossed genre AND race boundaries, a man who brought "black" music to a mainstream audience but refused to have it categorised as black, a man who made being small cool, who brought sex firmly into the forefront of music and left us with a catalogue of hits the like of which it is hard to imagine being surpassed.

Who could care about him, huh?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
quarantined
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,374
Default

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 23,917
Default

Now if you'd added "Philip" to the thread title, well then...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee
 
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,040
Default

I kinda agree, Price was just so-so.
__________________
Stop and find a pretty shell for her
Beach Boys vs Beatles comparisons begin here
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Coconut View Post
Since his death he seems to have achieved near mythic status, but I grew up in the 80s and was never hugely impressed, albeit only judging it from his singles. I decided to watch one of his early hits on Youtube, "When Doves Cry"


Honestly I find it quite bland and mediocre.
Can you tell us what you've heard?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
bro this all sucks
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
quarantined
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Can you tell us what you've heard?
He mentioned it in the OP, if you have took the time to read it you would have known it was "When Doves Cry." CC heard that one song and it was ample enough material for him to dismiss Prince as "quite bland and mediocre." Yeah, it's one song but sometimes you gotta make a command decision base on what you know and decide whether or not to further explore that particular musical artist. No harm, no foul in doing that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 04-19-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah I know, you'd wonder, wouldn't you? A guy who at sixteen could play every instrument, write, compose, produce, engineer, promote his own music. A guy who crossed genre AND race boundaries, a man who brought "black" music to a mainstream audience but refused to have it categorised as black, a man who made being small cool, who brought sex firmly into the forefront of music and left us with a catalogue of hits the like of which it is hard to imagine being surpassed.

Who could care about him, huh?
still nobody can name more than 2 Prince songs

it's the Bob Marley effect
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DianneW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: S W France S. Deux Sevres
Posts: 842
Default



too many good songs ..homework...name that song...brilliant stage presence..good all rounder...
DianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.