Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk > Hardcore & Emo
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #51 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

Dude, you are wrong Urban.
Most modern music is stemmed from early blues, but is modern music early blues? No.

And don't say " I never said that these bands were emo"

I know you didnt say that, Don did, and that is why we are telling him he is wrong.
bungalow is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #52 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Just because they both started off from the same point, doesn't mean they're the same genre. Taking Back Sunday sounds nothing like Circle Takes The Square, I wouldn't group them into the same genre at all. Also bands can be influenced by something. He also said "with no real hardcore attachements" the genre being emotionally driven hardcore, has to have hardcore in it.
Didn`t you say to me in the metal thread that Black Sabbath are no longer considered metal because metal has changed as a genre?

If thats true then why shouldn`t emo change as well , you`ve already said you agree with him it`s started off in the same place.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #53 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbill357
Dude, you are wrong Urban.
I`m not saying i`m right about anything.

All i`m saying is that Don is the only person trying to address why emo became so popular , everybody else picks holes in his arguements yet bury their head in the sand when I ask people to offer an alternative explanation.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #54 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

I know, but emo isnt what became popular.
It is pop punk being mislabeled as emo.

And as for what Crowquill said about Black Sabbath, good point, but I think they were never metal in the first place.
bungalow is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #55 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

This isn't a sabbath debate so shut up about it, we gave facts for all that it doesn't validate your arguement at all.

There is still tons of bands playing real emo, and all the other "emo" bands are basically pop groups with guitars. If you listen to saves the day, taking back sunday, anberlin, bayside, the used etc and all these other supposed "emo" bands you'll realize half it is either pop music or hard rock with post-hardcore influences. They have a genre they belong to it, and its easy to see that. A genre can't change so much as too where its not even the same thing, paramore emotionally driven hardcore? Nope.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
I'm gonna stop being immature about this now. I just wanna say that it's not the end of the world that you or anyone were wrong and the only reason I resorted to childishness was because several people kept calling me an idiot and a moron, etc. In future, try to respect what others say when you think they're wrong, even if you think they have a hidden agenda. I do like making jokes and making light of situations whilst linking them with facts, but this is presumably unknown by most and seem to think I'm out to prove someone wrong for my own pleasure or whatever. I enjoy having a laugh above all, and I just happened to find it funny when someone resorts to name calling when they believe they're correct. So when I respond, all I'm doing is trying to joke around but at the same time trying my best to educate the misled. But this is a very difficult task because when some people think they have knowledge of a particular concept they will store a construct in their brain and it will almost never be changed. I don't like arguing in topics such as these, so hopefully this will be my last post on the matter.
I find this to be the funniest post in this entire thread.
Good Job Don!
bungalow is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #57 (permalink)
hiu
Account Disabled
 
hiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,174
Default

It's quite simple really. Emo as it is known to the mainstream music buying public became popular because some mid 90s bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate dabbled in a sound not unlike that of similar bands around the same time such as Nirvana (they were both Sub Pop bands) but also with this hardcore sound from DC during the 80s. Now of course Cobain dies and the younguns need a new form of music that they supposedly can relate to. We now come to the present day.
hiu is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
This isn't a sabbath debate so shut up about it, we gave facts for all that it doesn't validate your arguement at all.

There is still tons of bands playing real emo, and all the other "emo" bands are basically pop groups with guitars. If you listen to saves the day, taking back sunday, anberlin, bayside, the used etc and all these other supposed "emo" bands you'll realize half it is either pop music or hard rock with post-hardcore influences. They have a genre they belong to it, and its easy to see that. A genre can't change so much as too where its not even the same thing, paramore emotionally driven hardcore? Nope.
Shut up?
Oh dear , shame you had to resort to that.

I can actually see you do have points , I just think you are being extremely naive.Every genre has genuine bands, every genre has bands that jump on the bandwagon or have little to do with the original scene and emo is no different.Emo stopped being just about 'emotional hardcore' years ago , thats where it`s roots came from and now it`s diversified into 'pop music with hardcore influences' as you say yourself.You don`t have to like it but you can`t deny thats what the public mainstream idea of emo is , and that is what it will be remembered as years from now.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #59 (permalink)
Dinosaurus Rex!!!
 
A_Perfect_Sonnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
I`m not saying i`m right about anything.

All i`m saying is that Don is the only person trying to address why emo became so popular , everybody else picks holes in his arguements yet bury their head in the sand when I ask people to offer an alternative explanation.
Don's initial thread was incorrect, and the source he used was also incorrect. I don't really see what point you guys arguing because all you are really trying to say is these mislabeled "emo" bands are really emo because you think so and so does everyone else in the mainstream (which incase you haven't looked lately, and take for example our last presidential election, is LARGELY uneducated about anything) despite historical inaccuracies. It's like saying to a black person "Hey, you may know more about this, but since me and a bunch of people still think you can have slaves because some media moguls told us you can still have slaves, we have slaves. Think of it this way, it's just an evolution of The Emancipation Proclamation." You aren't right, and you have yet to show any slight proof that you are other than your own misled opinions.
A_Perfect_Sonnet is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #60 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Just because thats the public view of emo, doesn't mean its true. The public view of punk is good charlotte and simple plan. Just because the media took a genre and used it for their own benefit doesn't mean everyone needs to give in and say rites of spring isn't emo anymore my chemical romance is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.