Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Let it drip
 
Sneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,421
Default

the one truely special thing interpol have produced is NYC. what a song. the dears i used to bum a lot. gone off them a tad since.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
i'm always surprised when people who systematically hate everything the NME likes say they like interpol, after raggin on them for being joy division rip offs.....but it's cool anyway, cuz i fucking love interpol.....
1. I've never said Interpol sounded like Joy Division ripoffs. In fact, in another thread I said, "And Interpol are a good band, and really don't sound all that much like Joy Division (as anyone who's heard more than "Love Will Tear Us Apart" will tell you)." The whole Interpol = Joy Division thing was just the byproduct of lazy journalists.

2. If you've read anything I've said about the NME, you'd know that I think that the NME occasionally hypes good bands, but that for the most part they hype boring, derivative, flash-in-the-pan shit. Interpol are band that are universally liked, no one but the British Press likes 90% of the bands they hype.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Croatian sensation
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
1. I've never said Interpol sounded like Joy Division ripoffs. In fact, in another thread I said, "And Interpol are a good band, and really don't sound all that much like Joy Division (as anyone who's heard more than "Love Will Tear Us Apart" will tell you)." The whole Interpol = Joy Division thing was just the byproduct of lazy journalists.

2. If you've read anything I've said about the NME, you'd know that I think that the NME occasionally hypes good bands, but that for the most part they hype boring, derivative, flash-in-the-pan shit. Interpol are band that are universally liked, no one but the British Press likes 90% of the bands they hype.
well, i could have used your help a few months ago in the interpol thread, personally, aside from the dark tone of the music, i never found interpol to be all that similar to joy division, but stu disagrees with me on that one...and yes, i have to agree that i'm getting a bit annoyed by the nme, especially after seeing that "the esential bands of 2005" cd.....i mean honestly, they do try a bit too hard to force their opinion on what's hot and what's not....
__________________
Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd
adidasss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 390
Default

Actually the ironic thing is I think I've heard both bands, I know Interpol, for sure and I think The Dears, too, compared to Joy Division I love both band's sounds, they're both dark in their own way and the Dear's No Citis Left is a great sonically superior effort
shiftael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftael
Actually the ironic thing is I think I've heard both bands, I know Interpol, for sure and I think The Dears, too, compared to Joy Division I love both band's sounds, they're both dark in their own way and the Dear's No Citis Left is a great sonically superior effort
How is that ironic?
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Croatian sensation
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
How is that ironic?
yeah, i think he/she lost their trail of thought....
__________________
Last.fm | Goodreads | Letterboxd
adidasss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
butt say x
 
mosesandtherubberducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: so i read the question as "Where YOU live" which was kinda funny instead of "Where you live"
Posts: 1,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
yeah, i think he/she lost their trail of thought....

I do that a lot...Hehe, me and my friend were going to try to learn Slow Hands on guitar and then get some drums and a bass just because we thought it would be fun...well, it fell apart...
__________________
Can I have a youtube video for a sig? There's a thing that says "Wrap [YOUTUBE] tags around selected text"
mosesandtherubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
3,5,0,1,2,5, GO!
 
Yanqui_UXO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesandtherubberducky
That shouldn't influence if you like them or not. You should like bands you like because you like them not because of the other fans or what is said about them.
i know what you mean, and it shouldn't. but for a lot of people, looking at the fans makes the music seem uglier. kind of like when you love a band, then the radio finds out about them and plays it, then all these fake kids start throwing the band name around like it's their job. it turns it off.
__________________
God Bless Our Dead Marines
Yanqui_UXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
butt say x
 
mosesandtherubberducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: so i read the question as "Where YOU live" which was kinda funny instead of "Where you live"
Posts: 1,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanqui_UXO
i know what you mean, and it shouldn't. but for a lot of people, looking at the fans makes the music seem uglier. kind of like when you love a band, then the radio finds out about them and plays it, then all these fake kids start throwing the band name around like it's their job. it turns it off.

AMEN, but it makes the stupidity of the pop-cult-ure followers easier to with stand if you know that deep down inside they are stupid and don't know good music because they have to be told what to like and that they are silly for not knowing the right names of the songs.
__________________
Can I have a youtube video for a sig? There's a thing that says "Wrap [YOUTUBE] tags around selected text"
mosesandtherubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
MyFavouriteAccident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesandtherubberducky
I do that a lot...Hehe, me and my friend were going to try to learn Slow Hands on guitar and then get some drums and a bass just because we thought it would be fun...well, it fell apart...
hey man, my band played that song, and its the hellest fun song to play, i suggest reputting ur idea together, you'll love it. interpol are a great band. i agree, specialist is probably their best.
__________________
"My knuckles have turned to white, there's no turning back tonight, kiss me one last time..."
MyFavouriteAccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.