Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Mt. Rushmore is an impressive abomination when you think about it. Carving those dudes' faces into a mountain? And those 4 faces? They're not the 4 I'd have chosen, that's for sure.

Anyway, if they carve up a mountain into Jazz faces I'd like to see:

Fletcher Henderson, Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Who aren't the 4 what you would have chose?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Mt. Rushmore is an impressive abomination when you think about it. Carving those dudes' faces into a mountain? And those 4 faces? They're not the 4 I'd have chosen, that's for sure.
Not to mention that it was a sacred site for the Lakota Sioux before it was defaced by the US government.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Who aren't the 4 what you would have chose?
The Mount Rushmore faces of course: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and T. Roosevelt.

The first 3 are standard I guess and if were going to spend a gazillion dollars on carving president busts into mountains I think they're fair choices. My real problem is with TR. I just don't like him. Who to replace him with? If it has to be a US Pres I would stick with the originals and throw John Adams or James Madison up there
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

Coltrane, Ayler, Taylor, Coleman.

Both based on personal preference and what they brought to the scene.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
Coltrane, Ayler, Taylor, Coleman.

Both based on personal preference and what they brought to the scene.
Cecil Taylor?
I like the list. Mine would have looked more like it if I had listed my 4 favorite artists. Ornette Coleman for sure
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
The Mount Rushmore faces of course: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and T. Roosevelt.

The first 3 are standard I guess and if were going to spend a gazillion dollars on carving president busts into mountains I think they're fair choices. My real problem is with TR. I just don't like him. Who to replace him with? If it has to be a US Pres I would stick with the originals and throw John Adams or James Madison up there
I'd love to take this to PM or another thread. But why you would take down TR, I have no idea.

Not to mention, he loved what would become Jazz.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Cecil Taylor?
I like the list. Mine would have looked more like it if I had listed my 4 favorite artists. Ornette Coleman for sure
Yup, Cecil. Ornette's more of my 'influence' one - Probably just because I haven't been wowed by much that I've checked out, and becuase I simply haven't checked out enough. Since he played a really big role in Free Jazz and his compositions really helped move it along, I kind of owe a lot to him just for that, since Free Jazz is my favorite subgenre of Jazz.

Plus, in a couple of years when I'm more versed in his music than I am now, I'll definitely have more good things to say about him.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
musiclistsareus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Armstrong, Ellington, Davis...yeah the 4th one is tricky. Who is the Teddy Roosevelt of jazz? Monk or Coltrane would be my suggestion(though Parker is another understandable choice)

Last edited by musiclistsareus; 12-20-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: left something out
musiclistsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Coltrane, Russell, Armstrong, Coleman. Debating whether or not Zorn deserves a place in there, but I figure this is more of a foundations of jazz kind of thing right? Like the founding fathers.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.