Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Well?
****, yeah! 0 0%
Give me the banhammer 1 12.50%
Just make Occult a mod instead. 6 75.00%
This thread is getting locked by a SJW. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
A) I'm not British as you well know
B) It's "talk well" (yes yes that was the joke I know ha ha bloody ha)
C) It's what it's damn-well called, because the owner has a licence to sell beers off the premises, unlike a pub, where the alcohol is meant to be consumed there.
All businesses have licenses.

Quote:
You ****in' Americans. What do you call them? Liquor stores I guess.
Yes, because that is what they sell.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #42 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 14,718
Default

The people have voted me mod.
__________________

¡¡¡brigada juvenil anarquista!!!
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
All businesses have licenses.

But with alcohol, only pubs can sell it, unless you run an off-licence, in which case you're licensed to .... ah, why am I bothering? You're getting so like Frownland it's concerning me. You're just not listening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
The people have voted me mod.
I suspect Russian involvement.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
But with alcohol, only pubs can sell it, unless you run an off-licence, in which case you're licensed to .... ah, why am I bothering?
Why not just liquor store though? That's already differentiated from the pub. Unless...do you guys call restaurants food stores in Ireland?

Quote:
You're getting so like Frownland it's concerning me. You're just not listening.
Ja, quit being so intelligent and sexy, Batface, you're cramping my style.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Why not just liquor store though? That's already differentiated from the pub. Unless...do you guys call restaurants food stores in Ireland?
Seriously? First of all, we don't use the word "liquor". It's "spirits" for anything like vodka, gin, whiskey etc. We do use "liqueur", but that's another thing. Also, we don't use store, but shop. So it would be a spirit shop, which might just sound, hmmm, weird. I reckon it's also to do with licencing laws, so that you can sell beer after hours or before the pubs open. Hell if I know: I don't really drink. But there are off-licences all over here and I assume UK too.

Point of fact, restaurants we call restaurants, smaller ones cafes, the Brits sometimes call them "caffs" (you probably say diner) and then there are the Italian Bistros, which, oddly, we call bistros.
Quote:
Ja, quit being so intelligent and sexy, Batface, you're cramping my style.
Every day I die a little more inside.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Seriously? First of all, we don't use the word "liquor". It's "spirits" for anything like vodka, gin, whiskey etc. We do use "liqueur", but that's another thing. Also, we don't use store, but shop. So it would be a spirit shop, which might just sound, hmmm, weird. I reckon it's also to do with licencing laws, so that you can sell beer after hours or before the pubs open. Hell if I know: I don't really drink. But there are off-licences all over here and I assume UK too.
There are all kinds of licenses in America, so off-license sounds weird to us. Just call it a Local Alcohol Distribution Center like a normal person.

Quote:
Point of fact, restaurants we call restaurants, smaller ones cafes, the Brits sometimes call them "caffs" (you probably say diner) and then there are the Italian Bistros, which, oddly, we call bistros.

Every day I die a little more inside.
So what do you call pubs and why do you need to distinguish them from stores?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Seriously? First of all, we don't use the word "liquor". It's "spirits" for anything like vodka, gin, whiskey etc. We do use "liqueur", but that's another thing. Also, we don't use store, but shop. So it would be a spirit shop, which might just sound, hmmm, weird. I reckon it's also to do with licencing laws, so that you can sell beer after hours or before the pubs open. Hell if I know: I don't really drink. But there are off-licences all over here and I assume UK too.

Point of fact, restaurants we call restaurants, smaller ones cafes, the Brits sometimes call them "caffs" (you probably say diner) and then there are the Italian Bistros, which, oddly, we call bistros.

Every day I die a little more inside.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #48 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,421
Default

Yes Trolls we have them.

I call them off licenses too.

Some call them offies, for short.

The Sikhs usually run them here and they are great guys, well most of them are one of them was an old cunt but he's sold up now. Over the past few years, the Sikhs have been selling food in the shop too. It's usually snack food like pakoras, samosas and that sort of thing, they make it in the shop. I like it a lot and think it was about time.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #49 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
So what do you call pubs and why do you need to distinguish them from stores?
You drink, eat, play music, watch the sport, play pool or darts in them. They're a 'public house'.

You can't do any of that in an off license other than purchase items then leave.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
You drink, eat, play music, watch the sport, play pool or darts in them. They're a 'public house'.

You can't do any of that in an off license other than purchase items then leave.
Exactly, quite different places that you wouldn't get mixed up unless you hella misspoke, so why differentiate based on licensing? Or like I asked earlier, are there so many unlicensed places that you guys had to start making the licensing part of the nomenclature?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.