Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #321 (permalink)
Screwed by life
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house painted silver
Posts: 3,933
Default

Cuz he hated your Elvis album in the Album Club. He was like "Get your grandpa music sht outta here"
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #322 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

I didn't hate it!
It was nice enough, but not something I'd come back to.
I was born in 1981 in Europe. Gimme a break on Elvis.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #323 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 5,010
Default

You won't see me running out to buy an Elvis album either. Bleh. I was stationed on the same post as he was in Germany, so my disdain grew from there, and it's not even that. His music just an't my thing.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #324 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I didn't hate it!
It was nice enough, but not something I'd come back to.
I was born in 1981 in Europe. Gimme a break on Elvis.
I understand not liking Elvis, but what does where or when you were born have to do with it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #325 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I understand not liking Elvis, but what does where or when you were born have to do with it?
Just saying that I didn't grow up with his music and that Elvis doesn't have anywhere close to the legend status here as he has in the US. It's easy to grow up and barely even know much of his music. When I think Elvis, I mostly just think Hound Dog.

Just like it's no wonder that I have no relationship with or interest in KISS. They were just never on my radar and no one around me ever played them or mentioned them, basically ever.

So, given what kinds of music I'm mostly into, there was just no way I'd go out of my way to make myself familiar with the music of Elvis. I'd need a motivation that I don't have.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #326 (permalink)
Screwed by life
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house painted silver
Posts: 3,933
Default

Yeah fck him and John Wayne. Its interesting Janzoon brought that up cuz i was born in 83 and in Puertorico and i like Elvis music. And i don't like it just cuz of his status, i like it cuz his voice is great and so are some of his songs.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #327 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Just saying that I didn't grow up with his music and that Elvis doesn't have anywhere close to the legend status here as he has in the US. It's easy to grow up and barely even know much of his music. When I think Elvis, I mostly just think Hound Dog.

Just like it's no wonder that I have no relationship with or interest in KISS. They were just never on my radar and no one around me ever played them or mentioned them, basically ever.

So, given what kinds of music I'm mostly into, there was just no way I'd go out of my way to make myself familiar with the music of Elvis. I'd need a motivation that I don't have.
You like vocalist-centric music. He made vocalist-centric music. I'd think that would be in your wheelhouse to some extent.


Anyway, what does it matter if you grew up with someone's music? I'm sure most of the music you listen to currently isn't stuff you grew up with either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #328 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 5,010
Default

Usually, the people that like Elvis are similar to Joe Dirt's parents.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #329 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
You like vocalist-centric music. He made vocalist-centric music. I'd think that would be in your wheelhouse to some extent.


Anyway, what does it matter if you grew up with someone's music? I'm sure most of the music you listen to currently isn't stuff you grew up with either.
What I grew up with shaped a lot of what I'm going for in music, even as I explore and widen my horizons. I'm mostly listening to pretty modern music. Very few records in my collection that are from before the 80's. I've never taken an interest in 50's popular music, really. Whatever 50's rock/pop I've absorbed over the years rarely did anything to grab my interest. You can definitely draw lines from what I got into in the 90's when I was a teenager, to much of what I'm into now.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not the guy on this forum who is most invested in voraciously consuming every rarity released in the 50's and 60's.

At this point, I think I own zero 50's albums and that 90% of the CD's I have that are from the 60's are Joan Baez albums.

I've got truckloads of 90's albums. I don't think that's a coincidence w.r.t. my musical environment as a teen.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #330 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
What I grew up with shaped a lot of what I'm going for in music, even as I explore and widen my horizons. I'm mostly listening to pretty modern music. Very few records in my collection that are from before the 80's. I've never taken an interest in 50's popular music, really. Whatever 50's rock/pop I've absorbed over the years rarely did anything to grab my interest. You can definitely draw lines from what I got into in the 90's when I was a teenager, to much of what I'm into now.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not the guy on this forum who is most invested in voraciously consuming every rarity released in the 50's and 60's.

At this point, I think I own zero 50's albums and that 90% of the CD's I have that are from the 60's are Joan Baez albums.

I've got truckloads of 90's albums. I don't think that's a coincidence w.r.t. my musical environment as a teen.
You seemed to like the Dave Tarras stuff I shared with you a while back and that was from the 20s or 30s. I have faith in your ability to enjoy music from before the 80s that isn't Joan Baez.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.