What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #10531 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,773
Default



I wrote this on facebook, but I'm too lazy to write another few paragraphs to describe this amazing documentary.

Such an amazing documentary. Peaceful protests started by thousands of monks because of 2-3 monks being beaten by police. The number of protesters snowballed to reach more than 100,000 people walking the streets peacefully and even when the military used force, not once did the protesters turn violent. It's a shame that even after such powerful demonstrations the protests were quelled by the military. This documentary captures really powerful and moving parts of humanity. The power to respond to violence with peace with everyone joining together in the cause for change. People like this give me hope for humanity as a whole, only if it is a faint glimmer only to be snuffed out soon after. My heart goes out to people who still suffer under such rule. It's a shame, a shame great people like you have to live in fear because of your government who refuse to give up their power.

Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #10532 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Really? I haven't seen this particular movie, but based on watching House I've found his American accent so good that I actually used to think he was American.
Maybe it is because I am so used to hearing him with his middle class voice that anything else from him just doesn't sound right. Even Christian Bale who I really rate as an actor doesn't always convince me with his American accent. However Dominic West and Idris Elba (both from The Wire) have superb accents and I actually thought that they were both American as they hadn't done a huge amount of over here and not known to me. Colin Farrell does a great accent too.

Back on track:



For a zero budget film this was surprisingly good concerning sex trafficking in this country. It didn't resort to too many tired gangster cliches and had something to say about the sad state of our country even if it couldn't expand on them due to budget constraints.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #10533 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Maybe it is because I am so used to hearing him with his middle class voice that anything else from him just doesn't sound right. Even Christian Bale who I really rate as an actor doesn't always convince me with his American accent. However Dominic West and Idris Elba (both from The Wire) have superb accents and I actually thought that they were both American as they hadn't done a huge amount of over here and not known to me. Colin Farrell does a great accent too.
It's funny that you say that because my wife and I just watched The Fighter the other day and were talking about how impressed we were with Christian Bale's accent in that movie. Not only is he able to do a great American accent but he was able to do a convincing regional Massachusetts accent, something even American actors usually butcher.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #10534 (permalink)
eat the masters
 
debaserr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,467
Default

He was great in that, I might re-watch that movie with just his scenes.
__________________
Last.FM
debaserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #10535 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_lips_sink_ships View Post


I wrote this on facebook, but I'm too lazy to write another few paragraphs to describe this amazing documentary.

Such an amazing documentary. Peaceful protests started by thousands of monks because of 2-3 monks being beaten by police. The number of protesters snowballed to reach more than 100,000 people walking the streets peacefully and even when the military used force, not once did the protesters turn violent. It's a shame that even after such powerful demonstrations the protests were quelled by the military. This documentary captures really powerful and moving parts of humanity. The power to respond to violence with peace with everyone joining together in the cause for change. People like this give me hope for humanity as a whole, only if it is a faint glimmer only to be snuffed out soon after. My heart goes out to people who still suffer under such rule. It's a shame, a shame great people like you have to live in fear because of your government who refuse to give up their power.

I will keep my eye out for this. I have not heard of it before but I love a well put together documentary no matter what the subject matter but when it is about a subject I don't know much about then there is much more reason for me to watch it.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #10536 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default



After watching this, I was like wtf did I just watch. I will definitely re-watch it some time in the future because I didn't really walk away from it with any grasp on what was going on.



Finally got around to watching this and I loved it. My only small beef with it is that there are points when a lot of talking goes on but what they show on screen is only a few sentences when it seemed like a larger bit of dialogue occurred.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #10537 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post


After watching this, I was like wtf did I just watch. I will definitely re-watch it some time in the future because I didn't really walk away from it with any grasp on what was going on.
Is Naked Lunch celebrated because it's so off the wall or is it because it's a film so original that it is cool to mention it in threads like this to garner interest? The answer is both. Anyone with a passing interest in movies should watch this at least once.

A valiant attempt at filming a virtually unfilmable novel.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #10538 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Is Naked Lunch celebrated because it's so off the wall or is it because it's a film so original that it is cool to mention it in threads like this to garner interest? The answer is both. Anyone with a passing interest in movies should watch this at least once.

A valiant attempt at filming a virtually unfilmable novel.
have you read the novel?
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #10539 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post


After watching this, I was like wtf did I just watch. I will definitely re-watch it some time in the future because I didn't really walk away from it with any grasp on what was going on.
be thankful Cronenberg didn't incorporate all the imagery from the book

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post


Finally got around to watching this and I loved it. My only small beef with it is that there are points when a lot of talking goes on but what they show on screen is only a few sentences when it seemed like a larger bit of dialogue occurred.
welcome to the world of silent movies
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #10540 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,480
Default



My mom had to watch a 10 minute segment of it for her health class, and I was quite interested in watching the whole thing after I overheard some of it. I'd always been seen as "effeminate", and maybe I am. I don't consider myself that way. I just say I'm Tim. With a brother who's the conventional beer drinking, country listening, and sports watching type, I've always felt a little bit different. Oh, and my other brother is the conventional beer drinking, ROCK listening, and sports watching type. He also weight lifts in his spare time and still hasn't settled down with a woman, though he's 30.

The film overall was quite enjoyable. I'm used to hearing about women in the media, whether it be incessant bullying from other girls or eating disorders and self esteem issues. It's almost as if men are going through the same thing, just a different way. I'm not keen to dissect its effectiveness, but rather just an interesting perspective on masculinity and the media. You can watch it in its entirety on Google Video.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.


Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 09-07-2011 at 12:40 AM.
CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.