Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #51 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default

Okay, I'm sorry about the whole film studies thing. I just have found a certain group of film studies students on the internet to be very annoying, I don't hate people who have taken the classes or anything. I just disagree with the idea that by taking classes in which you study films, you somehow know more than I do about the said films and film in general when you can't even show that you have actually seen a film that isn't on the AFI top 100 or IMDB top 250 and when your reviews/discussions of films are unoriginal arguments about how important certain films are. I think that is bullsh*t, but many people don't. I should have put way more time and effort into #99 to write what I really meant.
__________________
My Music Collection

Last edited by RoemerMW; 10-23-2008 at 09:18 AM.
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #52 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
Film studies is actually really similar to Film Production. Well, the course that I studied anyway. We never had to listen to anybody talk about them, but instead explored the production/ creation of them and its significance in reception etc. And it was called 'Film Studies.'
Yeah, I was referring to generic film studies courses that only involve only watching films and listening to why they are so important and such or something like that. The name itself isn't really important, but most courses where all you do is watch films or hear people talk endlessly about them are generally called film studies and most courses where you actually make them and such tends to be called film production or something similar, but it can go either way. Just out of curiosity, where did you study?
__________________
My Music Collection
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #53 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
i would love some traditional animation that isn't anime

Not to knock miyazaki, i love all those movies, just getting sick of only having one art style
Anime isn't really a genre. If it is it's an incredibly broad one.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
____
 
FaSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 5,253
Default

Same art syle or not, Miyazaki is teh ****.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What? No. No. No. No no no.
FaSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFilmBuff View Post
Yeah, I was referring to generic film studies courses that only involve only watching films and listening to why they are so important and such or something like that. The name itself isn't really important, but most courses where all you do is watch films or hear people talk endlessly about them are generally called film studies and most courses where you actually make them and such tends to be called film production or something similar, but it can go either way. Just out of curiosity, where did you study?
Well I'm in Australia and so I've studied at Monash University and RMIT but you probably have noooo idea where or what they are Haha. But yeah, I agree with what you're saying, luckily I have never come across any film courses like that but if I did I would find it incredibly pointless and stupid.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #56 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
Well I'm in Australia and so I've studied at Monash University and RMIT but you probably have noooo idea where or what they are Haha. But yeah, I agree with what you're saying, luckily I have never come across any film courses like that but if I did I would find it incredibly pointless and stupid.
That's cool. Do you have any film or video related job? I hope to become a film director, but I'd honestly be content doing anything related to video, with the exception of sports broadcasting. I hate recording sports games.
__________________
My Music Collection
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFilmBuff View Post
That's cool. Do you have any film or video related job? I hope to become a film director, but I'd honestly be content doing anything related to video, with the exception of sports broadcasting. I hate recording sports games.
Fair enough. Very nice! Do you have any film or video-related jobs at the moment? Or are you still studying? I've worked in film before, but only freelance jobs for independent film-makers, pretty amateur stuff really. At the moment I'm a student teacher and I teach English, Literature, Media, and Film Studies (ha! )
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #58 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
Fair enough. Very nice! Do you have any film or video-related jobs at the moment? Or are you still studying? I've worked in film before, but only freelance jobs for independent film-makers, pretty amateur stuff really. At the moment I'm a student teacher and I teach English, Literature, Media, and Film Studies (ha! )
I'm only a high school student, but I've done a few freelance jobs for bands. I have a chance at doing a commercial for a business, and I'm going to be one of the head editors on a video a local film group is making for my high school (It's a documentary on a local high school that they're going to try and sell to alumni). I'm also working on a short film at the moment. Other than what I've already mentioned, I've only done videos for school projects, my school's website and my local newspapers website, and a few machinamation (movies made using videogames) videos that turned out horribly.
__________________
My Music Collection
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default


96: The canonization of George Lucas as a director
Yes, American Graffiti, THX 1138, and Star Wars Episode IV are all good. But how the f*ck are those three films good enough for anyone to consider him one of the greatest directors of all time? There are hundreds of directors who have made better films, and more of them at that, than George Lucas. But on just about every top directors list ever made, George Lucas is bound to turn up. Also, I love how many people seem to think that he directed Star Wars Episode V and VI when in fact, he didn't. I like the first three Star Wars films, but only on a really basic level. I fail to see how directing 4/6 and writing Star Wars is that d*mn great of an achievement.
__________________
My Music Collection
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFilmBuff View Post
I'm only a high school student, but I've done a few freelance jobs for bands. I have a chance at doing a commercial for a business, and I'm going to be one of the head editors on a video a local film group is making for my high school (It's a documentary on a local high school that they're going to try and sell to alumni). I'm also working on a short film at the moment. Other than what I've already mentioned, I've only done videos for school projects, my school's website and my local newspapers website, and a few machinamation (movies made using videogames) videos that turned out horribly.
Cool, looks like you have a future in it Keep up the work!
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2018 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.