Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
If your going to make an argument than it should always be backed by valid evidence, otherwise its simply just an opinion.
Art is different. Art shouldn't be looked at mathematically. Arguments need evidence but when it comes to what moves people the most, the cold and calculating approach is ridiculous.
James is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Art is different. Art shouldn't be looked at mathematically. Arguments need evidence but when it comes to what moves people the most, the cold and calculating approach is ridiculous.
I understand your argument but music has often been open to scientific critique over the years, take Theodore Adorno for instance.

If I had come on here with a post declaring that modern pop music is $hit without providing any scientific evidence, I would have been shot down quite quickly, because it simply would have been viewed as a ranting opinion.

I personally believe that rise of sampling and arpeggios in music has led to a decline in the creativity of pop music. To me its a serious problem when artists are getting signed who cannot write their own musical compositions, which is why were hearing more and more redundant rhythms and beats.

In short Cyndi Lauper and Lady Gaga can compose and play their own music, Rihanna and Britney Spears cannot. It makes a world of difference to me when I listen to their songs.
William_the_Bloody is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,124
Default

I did my own study and this is what I found. groundbreaking stuff imo



wow
Ninetales is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 895
Default

I already mentioned the million song data set last year on this thread, post #26:

http://www.musicbanter.com/pop/70178...sterday-3.html

I may as well have not bothered. But then, when I read remarks from jerk offs who only seem to appear on threads they claim to hate, I don't know why they bother either.
Lord Larehip is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I did my own study and this is what I found. groundbreaking stuff imo



wow
I realize there have been a lot of threads dumping on modern music but that is not my sole intent.

This isn't about the old versus the young, its about the general decline in pop music due to manufactured pop artists that cannot compose their own music.

When you have pop artists relying on dj's to use samples and arpeggios to make your music, your going to have more and more music sounding redundant and the same as LL points out in the study.

I did say there has been a turn around, (Lady Gaga, Pharrell Williams, Goyte, Foster the People ect) but there is still a widespread culture in the corporate music world to simply sign an artist based on their image, and hire a producer to slap together a crappy sampled R & B or dance beat and run their vocals through pro tools because they can't do it on their own.
William_the_Bloody is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I did my own study and this is what I found. groundbreaking stuff imo



wow
Honestly, this couldn't be more accurate. I've seen at least 3 threads today that are bashing modern music. We get it.
__________________

CWH
Key is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I did my own study and this is what I found. groundbreaking stuff imo



wow
Numbers don't lie.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Well if modern pop music was good than there wouldn't be so much discontent.

In addition to scientific studies, its also the continuous topic of concern amongst music magazines, entertainment sites, blogs and the such...

The Quality Of Popular Music Has Declined - Starpulse.com

How Mediocrity Became the Music Industry Status Quo
William_the_Bloody is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,428
Default

Good lord just shut up about all the facts and blog posts and whatever. Who gives a **** if there is discontent about a genre or about what modern music is, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. Don't throw pointless pieces of information down people's throats in order to possibly make a point, especially when its about music which is easily the most opinionated subject on earth. You're not saying anything that hasn't been said before and it all just boils down to....if you don't like it, don't bother with it. It's really that easy.
__________________

CWH
Key is offline  
Old 11-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Good lord just shut up about all the facts and blog posts and whatever. Who gives a **** if there is discontent about a genre or about what modern music is, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. Don't throw pointless pieces of information down people's throats in order to possibly make a point, especially when its about music which is easily the most opinionated subject on earth. You're not saying anything that hasn't been said before and it all just boils down to....if you don't like it, don't bother with it. It's really that easy.
F that, its my post and I can bloody well write what I want! I didn't ask you to read or respond to it.

I made this thread because I like pop music and I'm generally concerned about the decline in its quality. So I'll throw as many stats as I want, if you don't like it tough, so once again....

Pop music too loud and all sounds the same: official | Reuters

The Quality Of Popular Music Has Declined - Starpulse.com

How Mediocrity Became the Music Industry Status Quo
William_the_Bloody is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.