Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Prog & Psychedelic Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,097
Default

I really appreciate your continuing contributions to this thread, Nea, which is why I'm sorry to say that "Hummingbird" doesn't do much for me. The studio version is pretty decent - nice acoustic guitar in the intro, and I like the way the tempo picks up for the first, "Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away" But after that initial surprise, the song doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Anyway, feel free to be as rude as you like about this one:-



Dr Strangely Strange are rather second-tier progfolkers, making only a few albums that met with mixed reviews. Heavy Petting, for instance, with its Roger Dean cover, is described by most internet sites as having just the one worthwhile track, which I am posting here for the kind attention of you and other MBers. ( The guitar solo in the middle is by Gary Moore, aged 17.)
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
I really appreciate your continuing contributions to this thread, Nea, which is why I'm sorry to say that "Hummingbird" doesn't do much for me. The studio version is pretty decent - nice acoustic guitar in the intro, and I like the way the tempo picks up for the first, "Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away" But after that initial surprise, the song doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Anyway, feel free to be as rude as you like about this one:-



Dr Strangely Strange are rather second-tier progfolkers, making only a few albums that met with mixed reviews. Heavy Petting, for instance, with its Roger Dean cover, is described by most internet sites as having just the one worthwhile track, which I am posting here for the kind attention of you and other MBers. ( The guitar solo in the middle is by Gary Moore, aged 17.)
Are you kidding? That was great.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Judy Dyble and Jackie McAuley are Trader Horne. I found this track on a compilation of bands related to Fairport Convention. (I'm not absolutely certain, but think this would fall under Acid Folk.)
Trader Horne / Morning Way
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Judy Dyble and Jackie McAuley are Trader Horne. I found this track on a compilation of bands related to Fairport Convention. (I'm not absolutely certain, but think this would fall under Acid Folk.)
Trader Horne / Morning Way
Hey! I also came across Trader Horne recently while looking around at progfolk artists!
For decades, I suspect, they had been completely forgotten, but now the internet has made their music more available again. The track you've posted is pretty sweet; beautifully clear guitar and female vocal , though I would've liked a bit more piano. It turns up tantalizingly for about half a bar at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Are you kidding? That was great.
I'm glad you liked the Dr.Strangely Strange, Neapolitan, but I wouldn't rush out to buy their complete discography, if I were you. In fact, I'd recommend the same caution with Amazing Blondel, who for me are just too light, too nice. This track is ok because we are spared the rather weak, ingratiating vocals that spoil most of their material imo:-

__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Shelagh McDonald is a Scottish folk singer. I guess her music leans more on the British Folk Rock side, but there is some Prog elements in it imo. I really like the piano in this song, there a little bit of Jazz/Rock fusion going on too.

Shelagh McDonald - Waiting for the Wind to Rise
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Groupie
 
bob_32_116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: 32S 116E
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Judy Dyble and Jackie McAuley are Trader Horne. I found this track on a compilation of bands related to Fairport Convention. (I'm not absolutely certain, but think this would fall under Acid Folk.)
Trader Horne / Morning Way
Judy Dyble has released a number of solo recordings since the turn of the millenium. Particularly acclaimed has been the album Talking With Strangers, produced with a lot of input from Tim Bowness of the progressive rock duo No-Man (of which Steven Wilson is the other half). Talking With Strangers is a pretty good example of progressive folk, especially the long closing track "Harpsong". Lisnaholic would like this album as it has lots of piano.

Here is the title track:


Incidentally, she pronounces her name to rhyme with "Bible". I mention this because I have heard her played and mentioned a couple of times on a community radio station, and the announcers invariably pronounce the name as though it rhymed with "nibble".

Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-04-2016 at 11:38 AM.
bob_32_116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Shelagh McDonald is a Scottish folk singer. I guess her music leans more on the British Folk Rock side, but there is some Prog elements in it imo. I really like the piano in this song, there a little bit of Jazz/Rock fusion going on too.

Shelagh McDonald - Waiting for the Wind to Rise
^ This is an excellent track, Neapolitan. I like the kind of low-key approach it has, and the way the elements you mention slowly reveal themselves; the jazzy piano, which, (predicatable comparison, I'm afraid), reminded me of Bryter Layter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
Talking With Strangers is a pretty good example of progressive folk, especially the long closing track "Harpsong". Lisnaholic would like this album as it has lots of piano.

Here is the title track:


Incidentally, she pronounces her name to rhyme with "Bible".
^ Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check out "Harpsong" in a minute. Also thanks for the pronunciation tip about Judy Dyble - there was I thinking she was married to:

__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Fuchsia there is so much to say about the music I don't know where to begin. It was recorded in the transition years between Psychedelia to Progressive Rock, and it seems where it has a foot in each. There are times they remind me of Genesis, and other times like ELO.

Fuchsia - Gone With The Mouse
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,922
Default

Here are a couple of groups that haven't been posted yet. Perhaps a bit more rock oriented, but there are enough folk and prog elements in both bands to include them here (IMO)...



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
Welcome to the new mb. A haven for straight white depressive snowflakes playacting as anarchists.


She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
Here are a couple of groups that haven't been posted yet. Perhaps a bit more rock oriented, but there are enough folk and prog elements in both bands to include them here (IMO)...



Stewart Copeland was the replacement drummer in a later version of Curved Air before he joined the Police. He was also romantically linked to the singer, Sonja Kristina.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.