Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #201 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
You're saying MF Doom has been relevant since KMD? lol.
He has one of the highest rated albums of all time with madvilliany. He's worked with every great producer. His music has been remixed by the likes of thom yorke and other alt rock stalwarts. He did a rap album about adult swim(this may not seem relevant but it was).

Every rapper(generalization) cites Doom as an influence.

Going back to his delivery, if you look at every track that doom has shared the same beat with, doom is clearly better.

kewli, busta and q-tip lightly trying to rap over lightworks
Busta Rhymes, Talib Kweli & Q-Tip - LightWorks - Vidéo Dailymotion

while doom slices through it with razor sharp edge
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #202 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
He has one of the highest rated albums of all time with madvilliany. He's worked with every great producer. His music has been remixed by the likes of thom yorke and other alt rock stalwarts. He did a rap album about adult swim(this may not seem relevant but it was).

Every rapper(generalization) cites Doom as an influence.
None of this actually answers my question, though. He certainly wasn't relevant in the long gap between Mr Hood and Operation Doomsday, and he honestly didn't make much of a splash until Madvillainy, which Madlib actually made into a good album. Without him it's just another mediocre Doom release. His career arguably peaked with Dangerdoom, which imo was corny and uninteresting.

p.s. Thom Yorke is just showing love for a fellow pedophile.

Quote:
Going back to his delivery, if you look at every track that doom has shared the same beat with, doom is clearly better.

kewli, busta and q-tip lightly trying to rap over lightworks
Busta Rhymes, Talib Kweli & Q-Tip - LightWorks - Vidéo Dailymotion

while doom slices through it with razor sharp edge
Didn't care for it. As always, his delivery sounds almost intentionally sloppy. Maybe that's his thing. I'm not into it.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #203 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
p.s. Thom Yorke is just showing love for a fellow pedophile.
If you want to stick around here I suggest you drop posting this crap in every post.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #204 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
None of this actually answers my question, though.
perhaps you would care to go back and answer some of my prior questions you decidedly ignored?

Quote:
He certainly wasn't relevant in the long gap between Mr Hood and Operation Doomsday, and he honestly didn't make much of a splash until Madvillainy, which Madlib actually made into a good album. Without him it's just another mediocre Doom release. His career arguably peaked with Dangerdoom, which imo was corny and uninteresting.
Not true. Yes he had a tumultuous period after the kmd, but, among other things, he still helped promote fondle em records, which later become stones throw label. Arguably the two most prominent underground labels of the past two decades.

Quote:
p.s. Thom Yorke is just showing love for a fellow pedophile.
I'll concede that this is a very funny remark

Quote:
Didn't care for it. As always, his delivery sounds almost intentionally sloppy. Maybe that's his thing. I'm not into it.
What you keep calling sloppy I keep hearing as very dexterous and pinpoint, if you don't mind humoring another example:


Last edited by Sparky; 07-13-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #205 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
perhaps you would care to go back and answer some of my prior questions you decidedly ignored?
I just scanned our conversation and I can't find any questions I didn't answer other than the request to name a rapper who stayed relevant longer/had a more illustrious career. I was calling into question the premise of that request. I could name any number of rappers who had longer and/or more illustrious careers, but that would only lend credibility to what I see as a faulty premise.
Quote:
Not true. Yes he had a tumultuous period after the kmd, but, among other things, he still helped promote fondle em records, which later become stones throw label. Arguably the two most prominent underground labels of the past two decades.
You're setting the bar pretty low for 'relevance,' then. I guess I could say then that Too $hort has stayed relevant since 1987.
Quote:
What you keep calling sloppy I keep hearing as very dexterous and pinpoint, if you don't mind humoring another couple example:

Maybe sloppy isn't the right word. How about awkward?

That track honestly isn't bad. He has his moments. Believe it or not I used to be a fan.. I've heard enough of his music to know what I think of it.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #206 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
I just scanned our conversation and I can't find any questions I didn't answer other than the request to name a rapper who stayed relevant longer/had a more illustrious career. I was calling into question the premise of that request. I could name any number of rappers who had longer and/or more illustrious careers, but that would only lend credibility to what I see as a faulty premise.
You're setting the bar pretty low for 'relevance,' then. I guess I could say then that Too $hort has stayed relevant since 1987.
I disagree. The amount of media attention too $hort has gotten ranges from minuscule to non-existent, not using this as an barometer of his talent or influence since his career began, but i don't think it's at all comparable to doom. Doom has been covered in the new yorker. Too $hort hasn't left a mark like doom has. It's debatable, i understand.
Quote:
Maybe sloppy isn't the right word. How about awkward?
I can see it. I think Doom has been rapping so long now he has to find ways to make it interesting for himself. His contrived off kilterness is something i enjoy and makes it more interesting for me to listen to.

For example how he raps on this track(with yo boi ghost)



hope to fix the problem with the wack opinion doohickey

It's all too apparent neither of us have any hopes of changing each others view on the matter but good chit chatting it
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #207 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
I just scanned our conversation and I can't find any questions I didn't answer other than the request to name a rapper who stayed relevant longer/had a more illustrious career. I was calling into question the premise of that request. I could name any number of rappers who had longer and/or more illustrious careers, but that would only lend credibility to what I see as a faulty premise.
You're setting the bar pretty low for 'relevance,' then. I guess I could say then that Too $hort has stayed relevant since 1987.
Maybe sloppy isn't the right word. How about awkward?

That track honestly isn't bad. He has his moments. Believe it or not I used to be a fan.. I've heard enough of his music to know what I think of it.
Holy bull**** Batman!
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #208 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I disagree. The amount of media attention too $hort has gotten ranges from minuscule to non-existent, not using this as an barometer of his talent or influence since his career began, but i don't think it's at all comparable to doom. Doom has been covered in the new yorker. Too $hort hasn't left a mark like doom has. It's debatable, i understand.
My point was that if Doom doing some promotion for some obscure label counts as 'staying relevant' then so does dropping a new album every 2 years. Obviously I don't actually think $hort is still relevant in 2013.

You're crazy to say he made less of a mark than Doom, though. He helped to invent the entire west coast sound.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #209 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Is "Venomous Villain" any good?
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #210 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Is "Venomous Villain" any good?
Pretty good. Not as good as Vaudeville Villain though. Fall Back/Titty Fat is one of my favourite DOOM songs though.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.