liquid swords more like lightsaber - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I don't know what else to get from this. You say Asher Roth is only famous because he's white and your entire argument for this is "well my friends and classmates agree with me."
Dude, come the fuck on, that's not how he phrased it at all.

He said he noticed a lot of similarity between Roth and Eminem's voice, and he also noticed that a lot of other people that he has access to have made the same observation or agree. And that's not shocking--you've never heard anyone make that comparison?

His point was that all the comparison to Eminem by word of mouth was probably a helpful factor in Roth's increased stardom.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,967
Default

Listening to I Love College, which was his big song, you can't hear any similarity at all. I don't think that's how he got big. I think I Love College simply got thrown around to the right people and then was all over the radio and place and it's totally understandable as to why. It's a fun and catchy song. I didn't hear them playing anything from his mix tape on the radio or them saying "and here's the next Eminem!" Like many artists, I think his stardom simply came down to him making a radio friendly pop song and it sticking. I don't see why this is such an insane thing to say.

No one in any Asher Roth said, except for Kirby, were going "eminem eminem eminem." They were all trashing I Love College, which I think says more about how he got where he is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Listening to I Love College, which was his big song, you can't hear any similarity at all. I don't think that's how he got big. I think I Love College simply got thrown around to the right people and then was all over the radio and place and it's totally understandable as to why. It's a fun and catchy song. I didn't hear them playing anything from his mix tape on the radio or them saying "and here's the next Eminem!" Like many artists, I think his stardom simply came down to him making a radio friendly pop song and it sticking. I don't see why this is such an insane thing to say.

No one in any Asher Roth said, except for Kirby, were going "eminem eminem eminem." They were all trashing I Love College, which I think says more about how he got where he is.
I never said it was. I agree with you on all those points, but the way you responded to him originally was tacky as hell. That was much better.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
What a guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
i hate white people
All this time you're trying to make Kirby look like the racist here. You disgust me, ethan.
__________________
last.fm
khfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #45 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Forest Park, GA
Posts: 1,637
Default

On top of me being so white that I'm slightly pink.

It's not that I feel that all white rappers are famous for being white.
Just that dude's voice + his skin color spawns a lot of "the next em?" talk, garnering him more plays.
__________________
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfreek View Post
All this time you're trying to make Kirby look like the racist here. You disgust me, ethan.
Did I ask you to say anything cracker?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
What a guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Did I ask you to say anything cracker?
My name... is KUNTA KINTE
__________________
last.fm
khfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Dreamworld
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
I used to hate him as much as everybody else, but at least lately it seems he's been making steps towards becoming a legitimate artist.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Who the f*ck is actually TRULY freestyling anymore these days? Wiz Khalifa is blowing up like crazy... I seen dude reading off his cell phone while "freestyling" on some radio show. He can't free for sh!t, and if he can? Don't go on a radio show and claim your freeing when you got a damn camera on you.


Drake too... See him on Hot 97? See him on Westwood? It's a travesty. If you can't free just admit it, I DON'T FREE. Wayne admits it, He said something along the lines of "freestyling is completely spontaneous, whatever you think of you say on the spot. I prefer to think my sh!t out and develop my ideas." See I respect that because he admits it.


Eminem I never believed was legit freeing because nobody is that damn good. To this day I can't tell if he is or not, but it's because he's THAT damn good. He's either the best freestyler in the world or he is extremely well prepared when he's supposedly "freestyling." Either way, If you're the only person in the entire world who knows you've got your **** memorized, shoot... that's a freestyle to the rest of the world. And he's smart enough to not drop a clever ass punchline that you KNOW wasn't off the dome. I think Em is a combination of memorized material and true freestyling because he's so f*cking good with words that he can just spit out whatever he wants, rhyme it with random sh!t and still have it make sense in the end.


Back to Roth, sure that video wasn't that dope, but it was a TRUE freestyle. You very rarely see that these days. All those Cypher skits at the BET awards were pre-taped and nobody even stumbled or seemed off or anything for a second. Those were all memorized. You want true freestyles? DOPE ass ones? check out anything Mos Def calls a freestyle... that boy's got talent in the art of TRUE freestyling. In fact I remember agreeing with someone else on this board that Mos Def's free's are usually better than his real songs, which is (sadly?) true.


I leave you with another white rapper freestyling. I didn't believe it was a true freestyle when I first saw this, but after watching it numerous times you can just tell it is. Either that or it's a mix of material and freeing... but he does one hell of a fine job blending the two if it really is a mixture.


Listen to the whole thing... you won't be disappointed:
__________________
"I want to be one of those people, be they writers, poets, musicians, who leaves clues for the next generation. The really good people leave clues that help feed the human race. That's my aspiration."
-Julian Casablancas

Last edited by TheRavenEffect; 01-02-2011 at 12:23 AM.
TheRavenEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
What a guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenEffect View Post
Eminem I never believed was legit freeing because nobody is that damn good. To this day I can't tell if he is or not, but it's because he's THAT damn good. He's either the best freestyler in the world or he is extremely well prepared when he's supposedly "freestyling." Either way, If you're the only person in the entire world who knows you've got your **** memorized, shoot... that's a freestyle to the rest of the world. And he's smart enough to not drop a clever ass punchline that you KNOW wasn't off the dome. I think Em is a combination of memorized material and true freestyling because he's so f*cking good with words that he can just spit out whatever he wants, rhyme it with random sh!t and still have it make sense in the end.
I thought freestyling was in a sense spouting some memorized rhymes and weaving them into a coherent rap? If it didn't require some memorization then I think anyone could start freestyle rapping at any point.
__________________
last.fm
khfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #50 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Dreamworld
Posts: 62
Default

Just so I can clarify myself a bit here.

Not Freestyles:

Wiz Khalifa


Drake:


Drake:


Affion Crocket
(Spoof of the above Drake on Westwood video. Kinda dumb but if you watch this back to back with the Drake video when you high as sh!t the white dude is mad funny)





-------------------------------------------------------------------------




Real Freestyles:

Kid Cudi



J. Cole
(This video is golden because you can tell the difference between memorized and straight off the dome. The first verse is memorized material, but everything from 1:25 to 2:50 is a freestyle. Third one is back to memorized sh!t)



Mos Def



Mos Def & Kanye Pt. 1
(Both legitimate)



Mos Def & Kanye Pt. 2
__________________
"I want to be one of those people, be they writers, poets, musicians, who leaves clues for the next generation. The really good people leave clues that help feed the human race. That's my aspiration."
-Julian Casablancas

Last edited by TheRavenEffect; 01-03-2011 at 12:30 AM.
TheRavenEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.