Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #991 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
TheFolkslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 457
Default

1. Cult of Luna
2. Callisto
3. Neurosis
4. Isis
5. Mastodon
6. Opeth
7. Black Sabbath
8. Empyrium
can't think of anymore at the moment
__________________




Well I come from the old time baby, where all the kids are crazy.
TheFolkslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #992 (permalink)
Way Out There
 
almauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 850
Default

^Solid. Recently bought Eternal Kingdom and Salvation and really like them both, though I don't know if I'm ready to rank Cult of Luna above Neurosis.
__________________
rock n music blog
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #993 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissorman View Post
why does everyone ****ing love Iron Maiden? What is so great about them? they are in my opinion the most overrated band on the planet...
Probably the only band apart from Judas Priest to keep people interested in Metal between 1980 and the Thrash movement. Also constantly sell out EVERY gig they play with the same line up since 1983 and still don't do hit singles. The hardest working and most respected band in Metal.

If you don't like them that is fair enough but overrated? not a chance. They have earned every accolade bestowed upon them.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #994 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

I think I like doing this as more of a rotating list than list my all-time favorites, it's more fun that way. Here's who I've been digging lately:

Sons of Otis
Ufomammut
Lento
Electric Wizard
Noothgrush
Warhorse
Graves at Sea
Ultraphallus
Orange Goblin
Iron Monkey
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #995 (permalink)
Way Out There
 
almauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think I like doing this as more of a rotating list than list my all-time favorites, it's more fun that way. Here's who I've been digging lately:

Sons of Otis
Ufomammut
Lento
Electric Wizard
Noothgrush
Warhorse
Graves at Fire
Ultraphallus
Orange Goblin
Iron Monkey
Hard to pick a favorite from Orange Goblin. Been playing "Thieving in the House of God" a lot lately, especially Black Egg. Been wanting to get around to Ufomamut...love that name.
__________________
rock n music blog
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #996 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

These are the only metal artist who've released albums that have stuck with me. Kayo Dot isn't even purely metal, so I don't know how they fit.

Kayo Dot
Boris
Converge
Electric Wizard
Atheist
Necrophagist

Some metal bands I enjoy from time to time: Anthrax (purely Among the Living), Arsis, Wolves in the Throne Room, Dillinger Escape Plan, Megadeth (purely Rust in Peace).

Metal has always been hard for me. The majority of the stuff that people wish to recommend me is too boiler-plate or run-of-the-mill for me to even feign interest. It seems to work best when I sporadically find stuff I like on my own.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #997 (permalink)
art is sold for money
 
Scissorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaceman009 View Post
NWOBHM... they're not overrated, they are pioneers of metal and still doing it. Classic and Iconic tunes, one killer mascot and a huge library of official releases to their credit.
probably the only thing I like about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobophile View Post
What exactly is it you don't like about them? Lol.
the screeching

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Probably the only band apart from Judas Priest to keep people interested in Metal between 1980 and the Thrash movement. Also constantly sell out EVERY gig they play with the same line up since 1983 and still don't do hit singles. The hardest working and most respected band in Metal.

If you don't like them that is fair enough but overrated? not a chance. They have earned every accolade bestowed upon them.
fair enough.

but.

from my experience, nowadays they only have 2 types of fans - their old fans from the 80s and kids that only listen to them because they thing that Iron Maiden is what you should listen if you want to be a metalhead. they grow out of it very quickly.

and no hit singles? then, what do you call rainmaker?
Scissorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #998 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFolkslave View Post
1. Cult of Luna
2. Callisto
3. Neurosis
4. Isis
5. Mastodon
6. Opeth
7. Black Sabbath
8. Empyrium
can't think of anymore at the moment
You do realize Mikael Åkerfeldt worships Sabbath? Move em on up!
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #999 (permalink)
art is sold for money
 
Scissorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 730
Default

01. Metallica
02. Burzum
03. My Dying Bride
04. Enslaved
05. Evocation
06. Deathstars
07. Crematory
08. Slipknot
09. System Of A Down
10. Emperor
Scissorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #1000 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
Hard to pick a favorite from Orange Goblin. Been playing "Thieving in the House of God" a lot lately, especially Black Egg. Been wanting to get around to Ufomamut...love that name.
The only Orange Goblin album I have so far is Healing Through Fire but I'm certainly digging it. And, yeah, Ufomammut are really good, definitely worth your while.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.