Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Vote, mother****er!
10 0 0%
9 1 50.00%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 1 50.00%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: My door is always open. Except when it's closed.
Posts: 20,924
Default MB Metal Classics: "Written in Waters" by Ved Buens Ende



Wednesday's pick comes from Mondo. Remember to write a few lines if you want your vote to count.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,762
Default

I was considering switching this one out because I thought you guys would probably think it's boring, but it's still a classic any way you look at it. It's like math rock played through a metal filter, with all the eccentricities and musicality of math rock coming along. I would give it a ten but I think it has some tendencies to drag, and could definitely stand to have some more blastation like in the second song, which goes to show that they can kill it with ferocity as well. I wouldn't argue with anyone calling it a bore, it's a little hard to swallow and probably not action packed enough for casual listeners. You have to listen to it like Slint rather than black metal.

their demo before this is really underrated imo. It would honestly probably be a better starting point as the metal is at the front lines but still has an ineffable and mystic quality to the sound

Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,361
Default

Album is not on Spotify, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkYCZnEpFAE
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,361
Default

The music sounds really good - I'm especially on board witht he sound of the drumkit and the not-so-common-for-metal focus on the bass guitar. While I also like the basic idea of each and every track on here, they also tend to meander around a bit too much. Essentially, the songwriting reminds me of a lot of tepid goth metal from the 90's (probably my least favorite metal movement).

Worst of all though, are the uniformly horrid vocal performances. The out of tune warbling of this dude sounds amateur in the extreme and those black metal croaks are hilarious in all the wrong ways. There's also a woman on vocal somewhere late on the album, and she's terrible as well.

For me, this album is some good musicians in search of memorable material and a vocalist that doesn't suck donkey balls. That guy really does sink this ship for me, subtracting at least 4 points.

3/10

Sorry Mondo, but I can't stand the guy
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Drink Driven
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 25,873
Default

He's in perfect tune for these tracks, you just have the wrong expectations and expectations can only weigh you down when you're listening to unique music.

I want to give this another listen before I review but it's a longtime favourite.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,361
Default

The usual "you're wrong because I disagree" type argument. I think he's terrible and sounds bad. Expectations have nothing to do with it.

For that matter, the approach of this singer frequently reminds me of Akercocke - except the guy from that band sounds much better.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Drink Driven
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 25,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
The usual "you're wrong because I disagree" type argument. I think he's terrible and sounds bad. Expectations have nothing to do with it.
Expectations absolutely shape perception. Absolutely inarguable.

I'm really picky about singers so I don't mind you disliking his vocals. What I was contesting was you calling him out of tune because he's very much in tune. He's just not a very conventional vocalist and he's not aiming to be.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Expectations absolutely shape perception. Absolutely inarguable.

I'm really picky about singers so I don't mind you disliking his vocals. What I was contesting was you calling him out of tune because he's very much in tune. He's just not a very conventional vocalist and he's not aiming to be.
I get how the moany feel of his vocals fit the atmosphere of the music, but I don't feel like he's really succeeding in conveying any emotions. I find him flat and dull, so it just end up being annoying, rather than engaging.

And he does literally sound out of tune to me, but then, my ears are not a guitar tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
While it's perfectly fine to dislike any album you want, sometimes low ratings can come down to "not getting it" as the kids say I say. It's a good thing to recognize.
You could say that about anything, really. If someone on Earth likes a thing and you don't, you don't "get" what that person "gets" about it.
So I don't "get" the appeal of Fred Durst's voice.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Drink Driven
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 25,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
And he does literally sound out of tune to me, but then, my ears are not a guitar tuner.
And what would you expect to be the cause of his vocals sounding out of tune to you?

Also, you should quit being so vehemently opposed to the idea that you're missing something about a record. Preference is fine, you're free to dislike anything that you want, but it really does seem like you dismiss a lot of music without considering its merits because you didn't find it fulfilling in another aspect (an aspect that's usually not a focus of the album).

tl;dr get woke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
If someone on Earth likes a thing and you don't, the person who likes the thing is more likely to be an authority on it simply due to the fact that they're more familiar with it and you should at least give their stance some consideration.
ftfy
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Big c*nt retard baby
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: $omewhere between $layer and Ke$ha
Posts: 31,229
Default

MicShazam: the guy you stop playing video games with because he complains about terrible mechanics and framerate when really he just sucks at Mario Kart.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii
No it's just to show that I worship HELL and all who lives there.

I just put it down so people will know who I am and knwo that I worship the devil not god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
I hate every single woman
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2018 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.