Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
Tony Iommi 50 41.67%
Jimmy Page 70 58.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #291 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
While music itself is up for interpretation whether it is good or not, guitar playing isn't always up for interpretation. There is a specific standard to be held to when playing guitar, and again, I say this fully knowing that Jimmy Page is a good guitar player, never said he wasnt, I only said that it's a shame that he's not up to par with what could be considered one of the greats, but to put him in the top 10 is showing your ignorance toward guitar players that can actually play both technically and melodically.
Jane, you ignorant slut.

The bad rap that Page gets is based off of mostly shows during the 75 and 77 tours where he was getting too wasted and as a result, sloppy.

His playing on the albums is both technical and brilliant for that genre. Have you ever sat down and tried to learn solos like Achilles Last Stand, Since I've been Loving You, Black Dog, and yes, even Stairway to Heaven? His note choices, the subtle little ways he accents his bends, his vibrato, and how the melody perfectly fits the song is much harder to replicate that you think.

Back then I could play Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nugent, UFO, ZZ Top, etc. well before I was able to accurately pull off Page.

And the vast majority of his live playing is ridiculously good. Ever listened to How The West Was Won? The solo on this is killer!

__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #292 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,192
Default

The Stairway solo is pretty easy, I learned it by ear when I was nine.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #293 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Jane, you ignorant slut.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
The bad rap that Page gets is based off of mostly shows during the 75 and 77 tours where he was getting too wasted and as a result, sloppy.

His playing on the albums is both technical and brilliant for that genre. Have you ever sat down and tried to learn solos like Achilles Last Stand, Since I've been Loving You, Black Dog, and yes, even Stairway to Heaven? His note choices, the subtle little ways he accents his bends, his vibrato, and how the melody perfectly fits the song is much harder to replicate that you think.

Back then I could play Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nugent, UFO, ZZ Top, etc. well before I was able to accurately pull off Page.
And the thing is, if you can't pull off a great act playing live, how am I supposed to believe that you can play when it's not on a studio album? I get your point here, but a guitar player should be able to play live and in studio.

I don't focus to heavily on Led Zeppelin because I find them boring and somewhat lame, but again, I never said the band or Page were bad. My whole point here is that he shouldn't automatically be considered one of the greats just because he was part of an iconic band. If we're really focusing on how a guitar player can play, Jimmy Page really isn't up there.
__________________

CWH
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #294 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The Stairway solo is pretty easy, I learned it by ear when I was nine.
Playing it is pretty easy. Playing it right is actually pretty hard.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #295 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Playing it is pretty easy. Playing it right is actually pretty hard.
Jimmy Page will be the first one to tell you that

__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #296 (permalink)
Jacob Sartorius
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Jimmy Page will be the first one to tell you that

__________________
MODS HAVE BIG GAY!
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #297 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
It's a Saturday Night Live reference.



Quote:
And the thing is, if you can't pull off a great act playing live, how am I supposed to believe that you can play when it's not on a studio album?
His playing live was killer most of the time except for when he got to drunk/wasted which is pretty typical with most musicians.

__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #298 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post



His playing live was killer most of the time except for when he got to drunk/wasted which is pretty typical with most musicians.
That's true. I actually saw Zack Wylde play a solo while he was on his side because he was ****faced. It was possibly the greatest thing I'd ever seen.
__________________

CWH
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #299 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Terrapin_Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NYC Man
Posts: 791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
We may end up needing to agree to disagree to stay away from further name calling,
That's entirely up to you. This is a pet topic of mine, so I'll continue with it as long as you'd like to. I've been doing work on this topic (including from an academic perspective) and writing and talking and debating etc. about it for about 40 years now. I don't mind however many posts you'd be interested in so that I can try to get you to think about it a bit more in depth.
Quote:
if the bold were true, guitar lessons would be completely irrelevant.
Because you think that people have no preferences or desires to play particular ways rather than other ways? I'm not saying that people do not have preferences, am I? What, do you think that people only prefer to play particular ways because there's an objective fact that playing that way is better? The idea of that is completely absurd.
Quote:
And again, I want to focus on the fact that I have admitted a few times that Jimmy Page is not a mediocre guitar player,
There are no facts that he's good or bad or that he doesn't completely suck or that he's not the best, miles beyond anyone else. We're not dealing with facts when we talk about this stuff. We're dealing with our tastes, our preferences. What we individually like or do not like.
Quote:
but he's certainly not skilled in the art to be considered one of the best.
That's fine as a statement of how you personally feel. Just don't believe that it's anything like a fact, or correct.
Quote:
He's sloppy a lot of the time,
"Playing in way x, where I call that 'sloppy,' is not as good as playing in way y, where I call that 'not sloppy,' but rather quite precise, etc."<------That's not a fact. It would be a way that you feel. It would be a statement about what you prefer.
Quote:
and the only thing he's particularly amazing at is creating a rhythm that the rest of the band can feed off of.
Again, that's fine as the way you feel, but it's nothing like a fact.
Quote:
But the ability to play guitar isn't always subjective
What's good and bad, better and best, is ALWAYS subjective. Not just when we're talking about how someone plays a guitar. Not just when we're talking about music. Not just when we're talking about ethics. Not just when we're talking about someone's health. When we're talking about ANYTHING.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #300 (permalink)
Jacob Sartorius
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
That's true. I actually saw Zack Wylde play a solo while he was on his side because he was ****faced. It was possibly the greatest thing I'd ever seen.
Zack wilde, alcoholism saved his life,
__________________
MODS HAVE BIG GAY!
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.