Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #111 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
And it is to my ears, sorry.
No need to apologize. You were the one apparently shocked by my opinion of the song, not the other way around.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #112 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

What do you think? The sound, the noise that you hear. That's what I mean by sound.

And Janszoon, sorry if you thought I was being serious. I put the at the end of my comment, I thought that was a sign that I was joking. You don't like it, that's fine and dandy.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #113 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
And Janszoon, sorry if you thought I was being serious. I put the at the end of my comment, I thought that was a sign that I was joking. You don't like it, that's fine and dandy.
Ah, okay.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #114 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,382
Default

so how isn't that tuning?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #115 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

I thought you meant specific guitar tuning
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #116 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,382
Default

Are we not talking about a guitar solo? If the "sound" is appealing, I'm wondering how that isn't tuning. Because if its anything you wrote above; the Indian sound, the speed, ect. then I wouldn't call it unique. And if its not that, I'd love to hear more of what you mean.

I'm not saying you shouldn't like something, and I'm willing to concede that putting your finger on something you feel isn't easy, but I get the impression you're not writing at length for one reason or another and I think its stalling this dialogue. This thread is for Jans, I get that. But I'd like to hear a little more about why you enjoy that solo/song/band because they (The Beatles) have never really appealed to me.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #117 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Yes. What the hell do you mean "tuning"? Guitar tuning, as In standard tuning or DADGAD or any of the other various tunings that you can tune a guitar to?

I think it's a unique little solo. I like the Beatles. You don't agree with any of that? That's fine. Don't know why you continue to harass me about it.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #118 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

Big3, he's not talking about "tuning". He's talking about the general aesthetic of the guitar solo (which I personally don't find very creative at all, to be honest, but that's by today's standards anyway).

By "general aesthetic", we're talking about the progression of each note played, the dynamic between each note, the bends, and the overall sound which consists of everything I just mentioned, and the tonality and feel of the sound, along with the creativity behind it. "tuning" would denote specifically the tension of each string and which frequencies they resonate in relation to the other strings.

So he's talking about the whole picture. For example, if you liked the sound of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony, you would not be referring to the way the strings are tuned. Well, maybe you would, but the point here is that blastingas is not.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #119 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Thanks for clearing that up.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #120 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Big3, he's not talking about "tuning". He's talking about the general aesthetic of the guitar solo (which I personally don't find very creative at all, to be honest, but that's by today's standards anyway).

By "general aesthetic", we're talking about the progression of each note played, the dynamic between each note, the bends, and the overall sound which consists of everything I just mentioned, and the tonality and feel of the sound, along with the creativity behind it. "tuning" would denote specifically the tension of each string and which frequencies they resonate in relation to the other strings.

So he's talking about the whole picture. For example, if you liked the sound of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony, you would not be referring to the way the strings are tuned. Well, maybe you would, but the point here is that blastingas is not.
Alright, now we're talking. Fine Blastinga is talking about the whole picture, but all those variables come together to create one sound, not multiple sounds. So you have tuning, and relativity, and blends, and bends, whether its a strat or a fender...but thats all one note.

So is it really the culmination that creates the sound, or the sounds together. If that solo was backed up by, say, a mariachi band, would it be just as good? Do we know? Does its duration constitute something less than a whole melody? Why don't we ever talk this deep-down about stuff? Its where the real stuff is.

Don't you quit on me, Freebase. Don't you ****ing quit on me.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.