Suggestions for a 14yr old rock fan pleeeease - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #101 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Ms. Rigby

Can you please cut the bull**** and start sharing your thoughts on the dozens of recommendations you’ve received?
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #102 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSpiritDude View Post
Gillan had a huge vocal range back then
Yes, I've always thought he was much better than Coverdale.
And Child In Time deserves more fame than Smoke On The Water (which I love, but I'm sick of listening to that riff)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
They only allow you to listen to the music they listen to? Oh my. This calls for some teenage rebellion, and you know what's great for that? Punk music!
Also, it's not ok to tell anyone they should listen to Hotel California under any circumstance
No, they don't, but I guess rock music isn't just OK at home, but that's it. And Hotel California is one of the best albums I've ever heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Ms. Rigby Can you please cut the bull**** and start sharing your thoughts on the dozens of recommendations you’ve received?
Alright! I've already talked about S. F. Sorrow. So let's go with The Velvet Underground, I've listened to "The Velvet Underground And Nico". Sunday Morning is ok, but I think that they were too...experimental, maybe? It was interesting and good, but I didn't get it very well I think, also because the lyrics were strange. And also, I don't know if I'm doing right by listening to full albums. Should I just listen to a song by each artist, so I can share my thoughts sooner?
P.S. And if someone has found a full Hendrix album on the internet, please let me know in which website did you find it!

Last edited by Eleanor Rigby 14; 01-15-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #103 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
I don't know if I'm doing right by listening to full albums.
You are.

So you’re tackling The Velvet Underground & Nico

Lyrically and musically that’s a lot at 14 but you can do it. Other posters here don’t agree with me entirely but some records are unassailable. That means they’re entirely beyond criticism. I know they teach you the difference between fact and opinion in school and that your take on art is an opinion not a fact. But what they don’t tell you is that there is art that transcends our right to think critically of it. The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of those. It’s perfect. We’re lucky to share the planet with a creation so beautiful. For you, it’s not even a matter of liking it or not liking it. As a person you are a part of a universal bond with a work of art of this magnitude. You already love it. It’s not about what you think about it. It’s about finding the you that’s already in there that already loves it. It’s a journey of self-discovery and not one of a musical discovery. The music has already been discovered and the jury is in.

Just stick with it. Close your eyes and melt into it.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #104 (permalink)
five by five
 
Marie Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cute Post Malone's mom
Posts: 3,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby 14 View Post
Alright! I've already talked about S. F. Sorrow. So let's go with The Velvet Underground, I've listened to "The Velvet Underground And Nico". Sunday Morning is ok, but I think that they were too...experimental, maybe? It was interesting and good, but I didn't get it very well I think, also because the lyrics were strange. And also, I don't know if I'm doing right by listening to full albums. Should I just listen to a song by each artist, so I can share my thoughts sooner?
P.S. And if someone has found a full Hendrix album on the internet, please let me know in which website did you find it!
Listening to entire albums is cool, I'm curious to hear what you think about Odessey and Oracle as a whole
I found a link to the first Hendrix album on vimeo: https://vimeo.com/344024764
but I recommend using spotify
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #105 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
You are.

So you’re tackling The Velvet Underground & Nico

Lyrically and musically that’s a lot at 14 but you can do it. Other posters here don’t agree with me entirely but some records are unassailable. That means they’re entirely beyond criticism. I know they teach you the difference between fact and opinion in school and that your take on art is an opinion not a fact. But what they don’t tell you is that there is art that transcends our right to think critically of it. The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of those. It’s perfect. We’re lucky to share the planet with a creation so beautiful. For you, it’s not even a matter of liking it or not liking it. As a person you are a part of a universal bond with a work of art of this magnitude. You already love it. It’s not about what you think about it. It’s about finding the you that’s already in there that already loves it. It’s a journey of self-discovery and not one of a musical discovery. The music has already been discovered and the jury is in.

Just stick with it. Close your eyes and melt into it.
Yeah, I guess it wasn't a very good idea to listen to "The Velvet Undergound And Nico" just after "Please Mr. Postman" by The Beatles.
I've liked it, I didn't understand it very well, but hey, there's still a lot of time, but it's good that I'm already familiar to it.
I know that this doesn't have much to do with the topic but:
I didn't like Stairway To Heaven at first, it sounded really boring to my ears. And I tried many times, but I couldn't really enjoy listening to it although I knew it was a good song, a great composition and there was a great work behind it. So I sort of stopped listening to it, but I came back after. And I loved it, I think I never enjoyed listening to a song so much. It was like listening to it for the very first time. I don't know if you like Stairway or not, maybe you think that it's an overrated piece of garbage like many people do, but what I mean is that there's still a lot of time for me to discover new things and change my opinion 'bout music I didn't get before. I used to think I was never going to like The Wall, but here I am listening to it almost everyday while doing homework!
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #106 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
I don't know if you like Stairway or not, maybe you think that it's an overrated piece of garbage like many people do
Zeppelin are gods.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #107 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
The Modern Lovers by The Modern Movers
Funhouse by The Stooges
Warrior on the Edge of Time by Hawkwind
Here Are the Sonics by The Sonics
Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground
Pink Flag - Wire
Suicide - Suicide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Anyone who praises the Kinks' melodies can get a rec from me. Check out the Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
Also, the Velvet Underground are not on your list so in case you're not familiar with them:

edit: Charles stealing my rec like a ninja
Thank you very much, The Batlord and Marie Monday, I've already listened to The Velvet Underground & Nico, and I've written what do I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Listening to entire albums is cool, I'm curious to hear what you think about Odessey and Oracle as a whole
I found a link to the first Hendrix album on vimeo: https://vimeo.com/344024764
but I recommend using spotify
Yes, Odessey and Oracle is exactly what I'm going to listen to next, don't know The Zombies very well, but "She's Not There" is one of the best songs from the 60s imo, it's even on my daily playlist! And thank you very much for sending the "Are You Experienced" link, I can finally listen to a whole Jimi Hendrix album, this is gonna be the happiest day of my life lol

Last edited by Eleanor Rigby 14; 01-15-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #108 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Zeppelin are gods.
I know, but literally 70% of coments on Led Zeppelin songs which are not stairway are: "Can't understand why people like Stairway To Heaven. Led Zeppelin had at least 50 greater songs being Babe I'm Gonna Leave You the best one.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #109 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

I don’t think you should move on yet.

Or listen to Odessey and Oracle once then make a playlist of that with The Velvet Underground & Nico and just go with that only on shuffle for a week or so.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #110 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby 14 View Post
I know, but literally 70% of coments on Led Zeppelin songs which are not stairway are: "Can't understand why people like Stairway To Heaven. Led Zeppelin had at least 50 greater songs being Babe I'm Gonna Leave You the best one.
Those people aren’t fit to clip my toenails.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.