|04-22-2006, 02:19 AM||#4 (permalink)|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
No offense or anything but Cold don't exactly write good music in the first place.
And on the subject of writing a Tool/APC song, I think you need to have a fair whack of knowledge to even consider going into that style of writing. As far as I'm aware Maynard has a pretty good grasp on the ideas and concepts of things he writes about, he knows how to convey and express it, and he knows how to craft it into a far more artistic form then simple lamens terms.
Write your own stuff first, learn as much as you can and have an interest in what you write. You won't write a good song if you don't really have a strong opinion on the topic.
She thinks I'm a reclusive genius, she's going to be very disappointed when she finds out i'm a reclusive wanker
|04-22-2006, 05:28 AM||#5 (permalink)|
that's my war face.
Join Date: Nov 2005
When I first started on MB I posted a few of some of my first songs. I thought they were good (my silly little mind) and I was quickly shot down by some of the members on here. I argued, was annoyed by how they made fun of the lyrics. Then I started to take notice of what they said. I got better, but I was still shot down. Then I started to write deep stuff with no real meaning. Yet again I was shot down. Then I just took all the advice everyone had given me and wrote down some lyrics. They started to actually credit me on my writing skills, and I have got better and better since then.
My point is, post up some of your OWN stuff. Make it different from other bands. The first song I posted I was trying to be some Blink/Fall Out Boy combination and I was quickly shot down for writing a Blink/Fall Out Boy combination of a song. Even if your first lyrics are bad, you keep on writing and take in the advice these guys give you. Then you will eventually become better. Look at angel18. When she first wrote a song it was god awful, and even though her lyrics aren't fantastic she has persevered, took into account our advice and is now a better songwriter because of it. Post your own stuff, then we'll help you. And if you stay on MB and continue to post songs we will continue to help you improve them. MB is a guaranteed miracle cure for bad songwriting.
|04-22-2006, 11:59 AM||#7 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2005
thanx for your criticism Hobo . The advice i can give you is (which i gave to a song-writing friend and hadn't been following it myself until a friend reminded me!):
1. Write down your ideas even in a narrative form.
2. Write your first draft of a song.
3. Rewrite it taking into consideration of how other people would interpet it.
4. Show it to your close friends and family and get their opinion. If they have advice for you, or have trouble understanding it, polish your song even further.
5. Show it to them again, until they're happy bunnies!
6. And then show it to us on the forum.
Even rewrite songs that have a strong theme and have potiential for success. Throw away weaker songs if necessary. And always remember when
writing a song, writing it will actually be 40% of your efforts; the remaining 60% goes towards rewriting.