Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #71 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: new hampshire
Posts: 191
Default

exsqueeze me but 2001 did it better
Gates_of_Iscariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #72 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
My point is....you've had somewhat snide comments towards me for the past few days, coincidence they may be, but rather unlikely. And if memory serves me correct, you have never liked Tool to begin with.
Your point? Lyrics don't save a song, it doesn't take a fan to realize that. When someone calls something filler you can go on about it being unique and fans liking it or whatever that's valid, going "it has good lyrics!11" doesn't change anything, especially when the lyrics really aren't taht good.

Quote:
Comparing men to monkeys is a good metaphor in my opinion, since alot of them have about as much sense. "Give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down."
Comparing men to monkeys maybe have been clever in the 60s, but after 50 years I'd like to think we've advanced beyond metaphors that have been rehashed since evolution was theorized. It's overdone, it's been used before, it's cliche. As for that line, pointless expansion on the monkey point. Plus we know monkey have thumbs so...

Quote:
How is simply coming into a thread and saying, "filler is filler", making a valid comment on the music? It has no productive criticism in it at all, though I like your latter post better.
Well it seems to be a point you failed to grasp and also failed to really counter. See my first point.

Quote:
My main point, I hate the entire genre of rap, yet you don't see me up and down the threads voicing my opinion on how much they truly suck donkey ass. And while it may not be a fact, I don't know, you once voiced your dislike for Tool. So if you don't like the band, don't come in a thread devoted to the band simply to say, "its filler."
Did someone's feelings get hurt because I pissed on the sacred nu-metal cow that is Tool? It's a music forum, people state their opinions. Mine filler comment wasn't even that negative, I like bands and I am perfectly aware plenty of them have filler songs does it make me think any less of them? No.

Quote:
It was ironic, because you have the tendency to randomly post your loathing for all bands not in your top 20 list. I am not taking personal stabs at you at all, I'm just sayin'.
That's not irony, that's being consistent. Also that statement is invalid seeing as I like more than 20 artists, much much more than 20 and I don't bash those that don't make the top 20 list.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #73 (permalink)
My home? Discabled,
 
Barnard17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
It was ironic, because you have the tendency to randomly post your loathing for all bands not in your top 20 list. I am not taking personal stabs at you at all, I'm just sayin'.
Dictionary.com

Next time you use words of three syllables or more, use this site. It'll help you to not look like such a leprous retard. Irony, Americans rarely get the hang of it ...
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #74 (permalink)
Ace
Ad Astra
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 730
Default

As appalling as it may seem to you, all lyrics aren't going to be 5 page long sonnets or worthy of Shakespeare. But I do respect your opinion on the work, yet I stand by my point that your first post saying "filler is filler", held absolutely no productive criticism. And you can't deny that you don't advertise your apparent dislike for certain bands. (like right now).
That is human and normal, but as I said before, there is no reason to post on a band you do not like and call some of their work filler, without atleast explaining why you feel that way. Something you did not do in your first post, making it seem like you think the band is inferior because it's not your cup of tea. Your top 20 was a metaphor, which I'm sure you could figure out, and I'm sure it got my point across. And if you'd prefer to be known as consistant in noticeably thinking bands you don't like = crapola, that's your choice. Personally, arguing with anyone who doesn't like a band that I like, as long as the argument has valid points on both ends, is an enjoyable experience.

EDIT: Since you aren't talking about Tool, Fal, why are you even posting? Just wondering.
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I think I know much better than you ever will how Mettalica is. I used to play for 2 years in a Mettalica cover band.



Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #75 (permalink)
My home? Discabled,
 
Barnard17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 203
Default

Because it's hilarious watching you make a jack ass out of yourself. The top 20 was figurative, not metaphorical.
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #76 (permalink)
Ace
Ad Astra
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 730
Default

Are you sure it's not you doing that?
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I think I know much better than you ever will how Mettalica is. I used to play for 2 years in a Mettalica cover band.



Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #77 (permalink)
Ace
Ad Astra
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 730
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates_of_Iscariot View Post
exsqueeze me but 2001 did it better
I agree with that. I enjoy Lateralus more than any of their other albums.
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I think I know much better than you ever will how Mettalica is. I used to play for 2 years in a Mettalica cover band.



Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #78 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
As appalling as it may seem to you, all lyrics aren't going to be 5 page long sonnets or worthy of Shakespeare. But I do respect your opinion on the work, yet I stand by my point that your first post saying "filler is filler", held absolutely no productive criticism.
Why didn't it? I later elaborated on it, it held it's place in the argument. Even if the lyrics were good it doesn't change the fact the music and song itself isn't.

Oh and I don't give a shit about Shakespeare and I don't expect songs to be as influential or poetic as his plays. But if you say something is 'good' and it's banal and cliche then guess what? It's going to be pointed. For someone who was getting high and mighty about personal stabs you're certainly getting close to the line of valid points and being an asshole.

Quote:
And you can't deny that you don't advertise your apparent dislike for certain bands. (like right now).
Yeah, I don't like Tool, we get it. You can quit beating the "you post your opinion" horse now.

Quote:
That is human and normal, but as I said before, there is no reason to post on a band you do not like and call some of their work filler, without atleast explaining why you feel that way.
I did talk about why the post was necessary let me re-quote. "Your point? Lyrics don't save a song, it doesn't take a fan to realize that. When someone calls something filler you can go on about it being unique and fans liking it or whatever that's valid, going "it has good lyrics!11" doesn't change anything, especially when the lyrics really aren't that good." See? That's what we call explaining.

Quote:
Something you did not do in your first post, making it seem like you think the band is inferior because it's not your cup of tea. Your top 20 was a metaphor, which I'm sure you could figure out, and I'm sure it got my point across.
Okay, not to be an asshole but Fal really did have a valid point with the dictionary comment. Look up what a metaphor is.

Quote:
And if you'd prefer to be known as consistant in noticeably thinking bands you don't like = crapola, that's your choice. Personally, arguing with anyone who doesn't like a band that I like, as long as the argument has valid points on both ends, is an enjoyable experience.
Yeah I've been making valid points, you've just been crying over how I don't like Tool. Ironic isn't it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #79 (permalink)
My home? Discabled,
 
Barnard17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 203
Default

No, pretty certain. I'm not throwing a hissy fit over people critically debating some crappy band, and I'm not the one trying to use words I don't understand.
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #80 (permalink)
Ace
Ad Astra
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 730
Default

As I said before Ethan, your first post had no reason why you felt it was filler. Your second, and third, and even fourth might have. But not your first. Did we understand that now? And I'd be reacting this way had you posted this about any other band I like. And now you say you don't like the music, even if the lyrics are good. I thought you said your opinion of the lyrics were that they were bad? Either way, it's both my and your opinion. And Fal, when the Americans overthrew English rule, we threw the Brit's anal retentive style of perfect English out the window. Something I'm sure you noticed as well. Me using or misusing any word, is not relevant in a musical discussion. But if you two are telling me you both don't have the intelligence to understand what I was trying to get across, it was a: metaphor, anallogy, example, reason, something to get my point across. Get it now? I'm sure you did before, but hey, we all need to act like smartasses every once in a while. And that's not personal either. Note the "all".
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I think I know much better than you ever will how Mettalica is. I used to play for 2 years in a Mettalica cover band.



Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.