Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #81 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,184
Default

How about someone actually answer me about why it matters what the composition of 4'33 actually is. What would be the difference in the end result if John Cage just drew a picture of Dickbutt on every page? If it makes no difference, then why does the existence of a composition matter?

Edit: Hell, Dickbutt might make the performers laugh, thereby making even more "music".
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
How about someone actually answer me about why it matters what the composition of 4'33 actually is.
You are the only one harping on this. The concept is the key point of the piece, the composition determines the length of time. Could you explain why it matters?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #83 (permalink)
regretting awful opinions
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
How about someone actually answer me about why it matters what the composition of 4'33 actually is. What would be the difference in the end result if John Cage just drew a picture of Dickbutt on every page? If it makes no difference, then why does the existence of a composition matter?

Edit: Hell, Dickbutt might make the performers laugh, thereby making even more "music".
He seems to be exploring the extent that a traditionally written composition can be stretched in my eyes.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #84 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You are the only one harping on this.
I don't know why. One of the key points the pro-4'33-as-music folk keep harping on about is that it is a composition, which implies that that's somehow important.

Quote:
The concept is the key point of the piece, the composition determines the length of time. Could you explain why it matters?
So it's just a more pretentious form of a clock? So if start a stop watch, and then stop it at a pre-determined point in time, can I claim to have just composed a piece of music? Or do I need sheet music for it to be considered a composition?
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #85 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't know why. One of the key points the pro-4'33-as-music folk keep harping on about is that it is a composition, which implies that that's somehow important.
Yes it is a composition, but how it is composed does not change this fact. You could write a C note as a B# or Dbb, choosing one over the other doesn't make that note irrelevant in some composition.

Quote:
So it's just a more pretentious form of a clock? So if start a stop watch, and then stop it at a pre-determined point in time, can I claim to have just composed a piece of music? Or do I need sheet music for it to be considered a composition?
Given the fact that John Cage rarely ever performs the pieces himself, putting it on paper is necessary to convey to the musicians what (not) to do and for how long. You don't need to put it on paper for it to be a composition.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #86 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland;1611107
Impossible [i
for you[/i]. I don't get some of your jokes sometimes, I don't give you an earful about it. We have different senses of humour. It happens. Get over it.
Oh you most certainly do. But I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is your condescending remarks here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
and here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post


When an effective satire detection extension meets a web browser near you, I highly recommend looking into that.
Just because I don't get your humour sometimes doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour, just as I would not accuse you of being any less able to detect humour if you didn't get some of my jokes. You're implying however that everyone should know when you're joking, and at least three people here have indicated this is not the case, four if you include Batty who is probably lying...

I get we have different interpretations of humour, but my not being able to "get" your jokes doesn't make mine any less valid than yours.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #87 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,184
Default

Quote:
Given the fact that John Cage rarely ever performs the pieces himself, putting it on paper is necessary to convey to the musicians what (not) to do and for how long. You don't need to put it on paper for it to be a composition.
You don't need to write it. Just tell the musicians not to play their instruments and start a timer. Bam, you've just made the composition of 4'33 irrelevant.

But let me try my hand...


Sit down at 11:30:00.

Don't play **** or I'll punch you in the nuts.

"Stop" at 11:34:33.

Love,

The guy from Mortal Kombat


I just composed that **** if you can believe it.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #88 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,072
Default

No you didn't.. where's the recording?
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #89 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
No you didn't.. where's the recording?
Bam! Music.


__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #90 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just because I don't get your humour sometimes doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour, just as I would not accuse you of being any less able to detect humour if you didn't get some of my jokes. You're implying however that everyone should know when you're joking, and at least three people here have indicated this is not the case, four if you include Batty who is probably lying...

I get we have different interpretations of humour, but my not being able to "get" your jokes doesn't make mine any less valid than yours.
You totally missing the point after my explaining it led me to giving you a hard time. Sorry that it was a little harsh for you, I'll be nicer next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You don't need to write it. Just tell the musicians not to play their instruments and start a timer. Bam, you've just made the composition of 4'33 irrelevant.
You're really grasping at straws if this is really all you have to go on to claim that it isn't music. I could go and tell musicians which notes to play out of a song I thought up, but it's a lot easier to put it on paper and show it to them. What does it matter if there's an alternative? The route that Cage went was not the one you propose, the compositional route.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.