Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #71 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Go trot through my 1300 arguments explaining why in this thread: http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...-what-not.html. The very basic answer is that the piece still relies on sound. It's a common misconception to refer to it as a "silent piece" since while the instruments are silent, the piece is not silent at all. Due to its sonic elements and the fact that it's intended to be music, then it is music. It has a value as performance art though, but the overarching field is music.
If it's music then he should be able to perform it without an audience. Also, since he can't why is he getting credit for the piece and not the people performing the music? Fucking thief imo.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #72 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
If it's music then he should be able to perform it without and audience.
The performer can listen as well.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #73 (permalink)
jiojoijoi
 
grtwhtgrvty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
If it's music then he should be able to perform it without an audience. Also, since he can't why is he getting credit for the piece and not the people performing the music? Fucking thief imo.
He can?
grtwhtgrvty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #74 (permalink)
regretting awful opinions
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
If it's music then he should be able to perform it without and audience.
Well not nessesarilly, but I imagine he could. There would still be room ambience from the room that he's playing/recording in.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #75 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Go trot through my 1300 arguments explaining why in this thread: http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...-what-not.html. The very basic answer is that the piece still relies on sound. It's a common misconception to refer to it as a "silent piece" since while the instruments are silent, the piece is not silent at all. Due to its sonic elements and the fact that it's intended to be music, then it is music. It has a value as performance art though, but the overarching field is music.
No, this was your argument. Only this. Everything else was pretentious nonsense meant to make that argument look less circular.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #76 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
This is the kind of pretentious nonsense that annoys me about art. Art is what the artist says it is? So if I take a dump on a canvas and then say it represents the urban alienation of inner city tenement dwellers, that's art, is it? Jesus preserve me. Be honest Frown: you only think this is art cos Cage did it. Anyone else and you'd be the same as most of us, thinking it was a blank canvas.

Also, as for 4:33, I always wondered (well, since I found out this "masterpiece" existed, about a few months ago) what happens if someone coughs, farts or talks during the performance? Does that then change it? How can silence be art? Bloody hipsters.

And again:
This seems like the sort of comment someone who can't draw a stick figure and considers that painting of dogs playing poker as high art would make.
dervish76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #77 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Well not nessesarilly, but I imagine he could. There would still be room ambience from the room that he's playing/recording in.
He's not playing anything, and recording doesn't make noise. That piece is useless without the audience, and denying that is lying to yourself. I'm not even calling it non-music, you guys are just to stubborn to try and appreciate the counter-argument.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #78 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
No, this was your argument. Only this. Everything else was pretentious nonsense meant to make that argument look less circular.
That and the inclusion of sonic elements. I also explained a ****load of Cage's philosophy behind what makes it music. Why do I even argue this? We all know I'm right.

(btw Trollheart, those last two sentences are jokes. I'm aware that I'm wrong sometimes.)
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #79 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
(btw Trollheart, those last two sentences are jokes. I'm aware that I'm wrong sometimes.)
Is this a joke?
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #80 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
I think that using actual percussion for your percussion is totally overrated. You can use ASMR videos, hail, rain, rocks, things being dropped, doors being slammed, etc etc.
Actual percussion is cool, but yeah, there are much more possibilities one can explore.
I'd say this track of mine became much more percussive then one might assume solely based on the concept.

Self promotion:
https://soundcloud.com/watsche/steinig-mf-dumms-sandig
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.