Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Country, Folk & World Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #291 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowLongIstheNight View Post
Personally, I don't.
The question at hand is why you DO like Country so kindly take your sarcastic smiley and fuck off to a thread on which you might make a worthwhile reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
i just got a comp of Willie Nelson's pre-outlaw stuff

pretty awesome, especially the song "Touch Me"
Willie has rarely sounded bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I may not always listen to Country Music, but when I do I listen to Dwight Yoakam.


More Honky Tonk than country though.
I'm not real clear on the difference b/w Country and Honky Tonk but I always kinda liked Yoakam too. Even though he was placed in the same terrible mid-90s camp as, say, Garth Brooks, I usually found his style at least tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam You Have AIDS View Post
I'd like to like country. Not necessarily the watch-you-leave-through-the-screen-door stuff, but I'm interested in gothic and alternative country at least.
In response to this I have to say 1) I don't feel that gothic and alternative country is really Country and no offense to this thread but I really feel that it belongs in the Indie & Alternative forum where it would get much more attention which is well deserved because there's some great stuff in there. But it's not quite Country.

and 2) I feel that Country is one of the more misunderstood and pre-judged styles of music in existence and I can see why. Most people on Earth, myself included, were raised thinking of Country music as something that has nothing to do with them - made by and for backwards yokels from the Southern US.

Of course, that's true in some cases but it's also much more than that. Country musicians have often made music that has real soul, great musicianship, and well, steel guitars and banjos and fiddles often sound great.

I'll admit, the first time I paid proper attention to "watch-you-leave-through-the-screen-door" stuff is when I heard Ween's mid-90s country album which seems like a joke but is actually true Country music. They make fun of typical Country lyrical subject matter but, true to Ween style, the musicianship is excellent and the jokes are maybe kind of serious in their minds. Definitely the music on the album is serious. I saw them play twice when they toured for this album and the band they had with them live and on the album was seriously Country as shit including an amazing old guy on the steel guitar.

I particularly love this song right down thar and I highly recommend the album to anyone who wants to understand Country music but haven't been able to get past their pre-conceived notions of it. No guarantee you'll like it but this is one way I learned to:

Help Me Scrape the Mucus Off My Brain
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #292 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

would alt-country fit in here?

Wilco's Being There is wonderful

as is Ryan Adams & The Cardinals' Cardinology
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #293 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
would alt-country fit in here?

Wilco's Being There is wonderful

as is Ryan Adams & The Cardinals' Cardinology
I'm not the keeper of the Country, Folk, & World Music forum here on MB but no, I don't consider Wilco or Ryan Adams to be Country musicians.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #294 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I'm not the keeper of the Country, Folk, & World Music forum here on MB but no, I don't consider Wilco or Ryan Adams to be Country musicians.
People say this when they like the music a country artist puts out, but thinks that country music, the people who make it, and the people who listen to it are inbred hicks who love jesus.

You can go back and find people (one-off posters) trying to say Johnny Cash is really a rock musician. Embrace the genre, release your prejudices.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #295 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
hip hop bunny hop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,367
Default

I got into Country right about the same time I got into lo-fi black metal; something about the lack of an overbearing rhythm section, the lack of wanking.

Country also has the quality of being good social music; you can put on Kristofferson and socialize and still enjoy the music. The fact that most of the vocalists were, to put it kindly, not formerly trained certainly adds to the fun factor.
__________________
Have mercy on the poor.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #296 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
I got into Country right about the same time I got into lo-fi black metal; something about the lack of an overbearing rhythm section, the lack of wanking.

Country also has the quality of being good social music; you can put on Kristofferson and socialize and still enjoy the music. The fact that most of the vocalists were, to put it kindly, not formerly trained certainly adds to the fun factor.
Yeah you know I think that adds a lot. Theres something about knowing someone is singing because they have the need to, and not because this was an appealing hobby.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #297 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Default

I honestly don't know the reason, But country music is great to me. Just for some reason don't like any other music.

I'll try and think of the reason why I like it. And when I do come up with the reason. I'll post back.

Chad
chad1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #298 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
People say this when they like the music a country artist puts out, but thinks that country music, the people who make it, and the people who listen to it are inbred hicks who love jesus.

You can go back and find people (one-off posters) trying to say Johnny Cash is really a rock musician. Embrace the genre, release your prejudices.
I'm not sure you caught the points I've tried to make if you're actually calling me prejudiced against any of the musicians/genres we're talking about. I like Country music.
I also like Ryan Adams and I think Wilco are sometimes pretty okay. Alt-country just doesn't feel like Country music to me.

Also, I'm a poster who feels that Cash was more of a Rock musician than a Country one. His peers were Elvis, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis. I consider them all more Rock even if they were "from the country" and, similarly to Ryan Adams and Wilco, I like them but they aren't reasons why I like Country.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #299 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I'm not sure you caught the points I've tried to make if you're actually calling me prejudiced against any of the musicians/genres we're talking about. I like Country music.
I also like Ryan Adams and I think Wilco are sometimes pretty okay. Alt-country just doesn't feel like Country music to me.

Also, I'm a poster who feels that Cash was more of a Rock musician than a Country one. His peers were Elvis, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis. I consider them all more Rock even if they were "from the country" and, similarly to Ryan Adams and Wilco, I like them but they aren't reasons why I like Country.
Just to clarify your point, so that I can understand it, you're saying because he hung around people who'd be considered "Rock", he is therefore "rock."

Similarly, are we calling Bruno Mars rap because he guested on a few tracks? If so, I can finally understand why Ice Cube thinks he's an actor.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #300 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Just to clarify your point, so that I can understand it, you're saying because he hung around people who'd be considered "Rock", he is therefore "rock."

Similarly, are we calling Bruno Mars rap because he guested on a few tracks? If so, I can finally understand why Ice Cube thinks he's an actor.
Christ, I knew I should have left the Cash topic alone. Anyway, sure, I'll clarify but I really wish that you would have addressed at least some of my post that was on topic so that I can be assured that you'll actually take the necessary few seconds to understand me before responding.

So.. no, of course I'm not so short-sighted to think that Cash was Rock by association. I really do think that he, like Elvis, made Rock music. Examples: 'Get Rhythm' by Cash and 'Rip It Up' by Elvis. Both of these guys also hung around with Conway Twitty who was definitely Country. Got me?

Also your Bruno Mars/Ice Cube joke is not amusing at all and, before you ask, I mean absolutely nothing by that other than to say that you're not funny.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.