Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #1031 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
You still haven't answered my question on this comment:

This seems incredibly unfair. I don't see for a start how being transgendered is any excuse for calling someone unemployable.
I don't intend to change my mind on this either. It's not a nice comment, and is backed by no reason whatsoever.
Well, let's take a closer look into the workforce, certainly some fields would be unaffected by transgenders, like the fashion industry and music industry for examples.

If you worked as a sales rep for a company that sells construction equipment, and have a sex change, I could see it being detrimental to future sales and company image (maybe it wouldn't, but this is a decent analogy), you have just made yourself unemployable in certain fields, fair or unfair this is how things work today.

Did I really have to explain this? Isn't it obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
I find this pretty bigoted:


And if you don't like her, stop talking to her.
If you would put my comment back into the context from where you took it, you'll see why I said it and how it makes sense without any negative intent.

Nice try though.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #1032 (permalink)
Oh my golly!
 
Above's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 335
Default

I found what Salami quoted rather bigoted, as if this is a choice that I have made and this is all my fault that employers discriminate against me for being born the way I am.

And even "into the context" it sounded very bigoted.
__________________
Be pure,
Be vigilant,
Behave
Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #1033 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above View Post
I found what Salami quoted rather bigoted, as if this is a choice that I have made and this is all my fault that employers discriminate against me for being born the way I am.
Like I stated, personally I wouldn't care what you were if I employed you, just as long as the job got done.

Because I may state what seems unfair and bigoted by those around us, does not in any way mean that I am.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #1034 (permalink)
like i was poison ivy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,372
Default

I personally see not one single problem with homosexuality or transgendered men and women. I can understand that others may have a problem with it because they are bigoted, but it shouldn't need to have an effect on any individual's life beyond their own sexuality.

Certain jobs require you to be certain things, and that is acceptable, but being transgendered/homosexual should not limit your chances of having any job that has no gender/race specifications.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #1035 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
I personally see not one single problem with homosexuality or transgendered men and women. I can understand that others may have a problem with it because they are bigoted, but it shouldn't need to have an effect on any individual's life beyond their own sexuality.

Certain jobs require you to be certain things, and that is acceptable, but being transgendered/homosexual should not limit your chances of having any job that has no gender/race specifications.
I agree, but it doesn't work that way . . . certain fields are more acceptable for certain people than others.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #1036 (permalink)
Oh my golly!
 
Above's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
I personally see not one single problem with homosexuality or transgendered men and women. I can understand that others may have a problem with it because they are bigoted, but it shouldn't need to have an effect on any individual's life beyond their own sexuality.

Certain jobs require you to be certain things, and that is acceptable, but being transgendered/homosexual should not limit your chances of having any job that has no gender/race specifications.
I agree.

If I chose to be a construction worker, it would make no difference whether I was a man or woman because I could still lift bricks all the same.
__________________
Be pure,
Be vigilant,
Behave
Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #1037 (permalink)
Get in ma belly
 
Salami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRIUSB View Post
If you worked as a sales rep for a company that sells construction equipment, and have a sex change, I could see it being detrimental to future sales and company image
Huh? I can't see how that works at all. Customers aren't going to know that it happened, and I think that even if they did they wouldn't choose to boycott the company on such heinous grounds.
Quote:
(maybe it wouldn't, but this is a decent analogy),
If it doesn't demonstrate the point, then I don't think it is.
Quote:
you have just made yourself unemployable in certain fields, fair or unfair this is how things work today.

Did I really have to explain this? Isn't it obvious?
No it isn't. And I still completely disagree. I think the extent of your argument is that employers should discriminate according to gender. If this is a job where it is essential that you are a particular gender, then this is acceptable. However, there are very few jobs like that and I refuse to accept that we should make this common practice.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #1038 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above View Post
I agree.

If I chose to be a construction worker, it would make no difference whether I was a man or woman because I could still lift bricks all the same.
Perhaps, but there's more to it than that. What happens when other workers have a problem with you, what happens if someone does something to you, you are constantly picked up, there is disruption all through the work crew? Get rid of everyone that is giving you a problem and have one transgendered person working? Not going to work out, to avoid lawsuits, injury, etc. that Employer is NOT going to consider you for the job, simple.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #1039 (permalink)
Oh my golly!
 
Above's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRIUSB View Post
Perhaps, but there's more to it than that. What happens when other workers have a problem with you, what happens if someone does something to you, you are constantly picked up, there is disruption all through the work crew? Get rid of everyone that is giving you a problem and have one transgendered person working? Not going to work out, to avoid lawsuits, injury, etc. that Employer is NOT going to consider you for the job, simple.
The people who pick on me for my gender should be punished. What you are encouraging is institutionalized sexism and transphobia. It's no different than saying I should change schools because the head doesn't like transgendered people.
__________________
Be pure,
Be vigilant,
Behave
Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #1040 (permalink)
Get in ma belly
 
Salami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRIUSB View Post
Perhaps, but there's more to it than that. What happens when other workers have a problem with you, what happens if someone does something to you, you are constantly picked up, there is disruption all through the work crew? Get rid of everyone that is giving you a problem and have one transgendered person working? Not going to work out, to avoid lawsuits, injury, etc. that Employer is NOT going to consider you for the job, simple.
I cannot make any sense of this argument whatsoever. It proposes logic to the extent of "what if people don't like it? Either fire them or fire you?"
This is preposterous, because I doubt everyone else has as much a problem with it as you do. Above is right when she says that it isn't he problem, it's someone else taking issue with one of her decisions which isn't their business. And if the only solution to the problem in your eyes is to fire somebody, then I hope to God I don't end up working under you.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.