Regarding the future of religion - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #161 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the local county jail
Posts: 133
Default

to keep on topic heres an oojay post:

hurdyfurdydurdy christians believe in christ im so effin deep.

come battle me oojay im drunk and ill still beat you religiously and philosophically.
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #162 (permalink)
Anxiety Hangover
 
Buzzov*en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardenia
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
I'm flattered.


It would look like plain text that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. What does political affiliation have to do with the future of religion? Let me humor you. Am I religious? No, I believe that a spiritual bond can be made with the world around us without having to subscribe to a certain set of religious beliefs or following a certain deity. Am I a right-wing nutjob? No, I have no affiliation with the Tea Party movement. In the last Presidential election I voted for John McCain. He was not my first choice, but it was quite evident that a write-in vote would be an exercise in futility.


Again, if I am wrong on anything I have inferred here, I apologize. You have every opportuinity under the sun to correct me, yet you refuse to do so. I guess it's easier to complain than to explain.


Like I said, I fail to see how I am being hypocritical in this discussion. Please show me and I will either explain the misunderstanding or apologize for being a hypocrite. The ball is in your court. And I am glad I could bring some levity to your evening.
oojay nvm. You obviously have a hard time grasping things. My question to you was only made to prove a point that it would be stupid for me to assume you are those things based off the fact you disagree with my views. You on the other hand made an assumption that since I am an atheist and anti-religion that I believe the two are the same thing which I clearly know they are not. I know you can believe in God and be anti-religion and you can be an Atheist that is accepting of religion. I just happen to an anti-religion atheist.
__________________

Save the environment, shoot yourself in the head.
And when there is no hope I'll smoke some crack I'll shoot some dope.
Buzzov*en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #163 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en View Post
Religion probably will be around for ever since parents and others who are religious brainwash people into believing what they believe. Most of the time it starts at a young age since children are impressionable. My parents tried to do that and I just went along with it until I was thrown out of catholic school for questioning the whole idea of praising some unseen force known as God even though there is no proof of God existing.
Faith is blind.
I agree that religion will never die. As much as mankind wants to promote open-mindedness, most parents will raise their children in their set of beliefs. I think that when it comes to religion (Catholicism for example, as you mentioned above), any questioning or deviation from a literal translation will result in the church chastising you. Many things clearly don't make sense. If Adam and Eve were the first human, did Eve have sex with her sons to procreate, thus committing incest? Did Noah really fit 2 of every animal on a boat, letting everyone else die before his very eyes, and then commit incest with his family to ensure the survival of humanity? Can people really come back from the dead? There are just too many holes, I completely agree with you.

I also agree that faith is blind, but that is by design and definition. It doesn't make much sense to believe on something that has no proof (in general), but to each his own.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #164 (permalink)
Anxiety Hangover
 
Buzzov*en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardenia
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
I agree that religion will never die. As much as mankind wants to promote open-mindedness, most parents will raise their children in their set of beliefs. I think that when it comes to religion (Catholicism for example, as you mentioned above), any questioning or deviation from a literal translation will result in the church chastising you. Many things clearly don't make sense. If Adam and Eve were the first human, did Eve have sex with her sons to procreate, thus committing incest? Did Noah really fit 2 of every animal on a boat, letting everyone else die before his very eyes, and then commit incest with his family to ensure the survival of humanity? Can people really come back from the dead? There are just too many holes, I completely agree with you.

I also agree that faith is blind, but that is by design and definition. It doesn't make much sense to believe on something that has no proof (in general), but to each his own.
At least we agree on that.
__________________

Save the environment, shoot yourself in the head.
And when there is no hope I'll smoke some crack I'll shoot some dope.
Buzzov*en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #165 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the local county jail
Posts: 133
Default

^thats what i thought, nothing relevant to say to someone who took religion and philosophy heavy in college. now shut up you annoy me.
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #166 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
to keep on topic heres an oojay post:

hurdyfurdydurdy christians believe in christ im so effin deep.

come battle me oojay im drunk and ill still beat you religiously and philosophically.
You sound like an episode of South Park, minus the humor and relevence. This is a discussion, not a battle. How can you "beat" someone religiously or philisophically? This isn't a game of trivial pursuit. Comparing and contrasting our views helps everyone to become more aware of the world around them.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #167 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the local county jail
Posts: 133
Default

blah blah blah, instead of asking me something you try a pathetic attempt at humor. you bore me already. just like you bore buzz im sure.
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #168 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
^thats what i thought, nothing relevant to say to someone who took religion and philosophy heavy in college. now shut up you annoy me.
Having studied religion and philosophy in such depth, your input would be a welcome addition to the thread. What are your views on the demonization of Islam in recent years? I find it hard to believe that a country who is mainly Christian (a religion who crusaded to kill all those who denounced them for centuries) could call another religion "violent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
blah blah blah, instead of asking me something you try a pathetic attempt at humor. you bore me already. just like you bore buzz im sure.
Instead of asking you something? Like asking how you can "beat" someone at religion or philosophy? I'm pretty sure that was a legitimate question.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #169 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the local county jail
Posts: 133
Default

honestly? "islam being demonized recently" is not a recent event. but while asked its a stem effect from 9/11, bad media propoganda and a quest to unite america under another stupid racist banner.
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #170 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
honestly? "islam being demonized recently" is not a recent event. but while asked its a stem effect from 9/11, bad media propoganda and a quest to unite america under another stupid racist banner.
With 9/11 being 10 years ago, it is fairly recent in the context of history. It's sad that some people in the US choose to equate their patriotism to the hatred of Islam. Like it's "un-american" to NOT hate Islam.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.