Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #191 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Okay, it wasn't founded on Christianity but those years later it grew enough to the point where they were placed in things like "In God We Trust" and "Under God" into national things.
For the record "Under God", was added to the pledge in 1954.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #192 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Maybe they would learn to apply some critical thinking to outrageous claims.
Or know the scripture better. The reason I will never buy any of these claims, no matter what, is because it literally says in the Bible that no one knows or can know the exact date or hour of Jesus' return. And because I'm not naive.
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #193 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Okay, it wasn't founded on Christianity but those years later it grew enough to the point where they were placed in things like "In God We Trust" and "Under God" into national things.

I don't know why the 41% surprised you though with the big bible belt in the middle of the country.

It surprises me, to be quite blunt, that such a huge percentage of the population (these are grown, voting adults) has such a stupid damned belief based on nothing more than what a collection of writings by many different authors that has been translated and transcribed for centuries is telling them. I'd hate to be sensationalistic, but if you take a look at this situation seriously it becomes quite dire. What happens when 40% of the nation believes that the Earth will not be around for the next generation to inhabit? Do you think they give a rat's ass about nuclear arms proliferation and global warming? These are the people voting for our leaders, and our leaders are the people running one of the most powerful entities in the world, making the decisions that ultimately affect the rest of humanity. It's some fucking scary ****, to me, that 40% of people have an ancient and unfounded millennialistic belief that the great gig in the sky is going to vacuum them all up to eternal paradise with ten virgins or whatever goddamned nonsense
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #194 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Or know the scripture better. The reason I will never buy any of these claims, no matter what, is because it literally says in the Bible that no one knows or can know the exact date or hour of Jesus' return. And because I'm not naive.
I'd much rather they learned critical thinking skills than have them shove their noses further into their Bibles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #195 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
For the record "Under God", was added to the pledge in 1954.
Thanks, I thought it was slightly earlier in the 30s or 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
It surprises me, to be quite blunt, that such a huge percentage of the population (these are grown, voting adults) has such a stupid damned belief based on nothing more than what a collection of writings by many different authors that has been translated and transcribed for centuries is telling them. I'd hate to be sensationalistic, but if you take a look at this situation seriously it becomes quite dire. What happens when 40% of the nation believes that the Earth will not be around for the next generation to inhabit? Do you think they give a rat's ass about nuclear arms proliferation and global warming? These are the people voting for our leaders, and our leaders are the people running one of the most powerful entities in the world, making the decisions that ultimately affect the rest of humanity. It's some fucking scary ****, to me, that 40% of people have an ancient and unfounded millennialistic belief that the great gig in the sky is going to vacuum them all up to eternal paradise with ten virgins or whatever goddamned nonsense
The whole voting process is a sham anyways. It's based off of the electoral college and certain states will ALWAYS end up being blue states while others are red states. The only states where you would have to worry about that is in the swing states.

I can't speak for all Christians but just because they believe in the rapture doesn't mean they don't want to take care of the earth. Most Christians that actually read their bible would know that there isn't a specified date when the rapture is to occur so they WOULD want to take care of the earth so that their children aren't in a more terrible situation than the current one.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #196 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
The reason I will never buy any of these claims, no matter what, is because it literally says in the Bible that no one knows or can know the exact date or hour of Jesus' return.
I guess if its in the bible then it has to be true.
__________________
Exterminate all rational thought.
chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #197 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron View Post
I guess if its in the bible then it has to be true.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #198 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron View Post
I guess if its in the bible then it has to be true.
No but if it's in the bible. That's what those people that have faith in that holy text will believe. Not a matter of being true or false.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #199 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post

If you click the percentage in the original post...
It's "Jesus return to earth" which i don't know if everybody believes is necessarily the same thing as the rapture, at least not immediately.

I also wish it stated how many people were asked.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #200 (permalink)
Audio Slave
 
billyjerome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig3 View Post
i'm sure you've all seen this, but i thought it was ****ing fantastic:

why the rapture isn't happening [pic]
ooohhh yyyeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
billyjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.