Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #101 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
As long as u acknowledge it both ways which I'm not sure u do. A black kid in a white neighbothood isn't necessarily low income either

I am acknowledging it both ways but some things is just what it is.

White people are born with privilege simply because they are white. That is not going to change regardless of how much money they have. Black people and other minorities are always going to have to prove themselves and work harder to prove themselves regardless of how much money they have.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #102 (permalink)
quarantined
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I am acknowledging it both ways but some things is just what it is.

White people are born with privilege simply because they are white.
If someone said that (any race) was born with (whatever you can think of) simply because they were that race it would be considered that person up-held an antiquated prejudicial point of view.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 PM   #103 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
If someone said that [a white person] was born with [light skin color] simply because they were that race it would be considered that person up-held an antiquated prejudicial point of view.
hmm
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 AM   #104 (permalink)
quarantined
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,104
Default

"Skin colour" is not a stereotype, so you failed there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
If someone said that (any race) was born with (whatever you can think of) simply because they were that race it would be considered that person up-held an antiquated prejudicial point of view.
Are you honestly calling me prejudice because I am acknowledging a well established and researched concept?

I notice alot of posters on this board are uneducated when it comes to "racism" and privilege and it is irritating because its ignorant and prejudice.

YES, I am calling it ignorant because it is.

Most people who are taught abut racism are only taught the overt expressions of it and not the "invisible" systems conferring to the dominance group, "white people"

I am not trying to speak for a white person but from what I have observed in real life as well as on this board in particularly, white people have been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage but are OBLIVIOUS of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts THEM at an advantage.


I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege or heterosexual privilege.

White privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that white people can count on cashing in everyday but remain oblivious to it.

Some white people will get it and some unfortunately won't but the fact still remains they are the oppressors even when they don't see themselves that way because of their skin privilege and they have been condition to be UNEDUCATED of it's existence which is sad.


I just finished taking a class about this that was taught by a WHITE TEACHER who even insisted that her skin color affords her more opportunities BECAUSE she is white. So I don't get your generic excuse that "I am prejudice" just because I am acknowledging a WELL ESTABLISHED concept that is researched and has been proven as an INVISIBLE social concept in our culture. I know people of all races and backgrounds INCLUDING WHITE people who also acknowledge the existence of white privilege.

It is ignorant and racist to act like it does not "exist"

Last edited by Soulflower; 05-18-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #106 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

I find it hilarious how people find so much wrong with my posts but don't see anything wrong with someone making fun of slavery.

Interesting....
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #107 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I find it hilarious how people find so much wrong with my posts but don't see anything wrong with someone making fun of slavery.

Interesting....
It isn't really hilarious it is just pretty sad how people try so bad to deny something that they enjoy everyday.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #108 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
It isn't really hilarious it is just pretty sad how people try so bad to deny something that they enjoy everyday.

Your right, it is very sad.


I will always appreciate what our great leaders have done to make equality for all races in past eras but when I look at my generation it appears that we still have a LONG way to go.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #109 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

It kind of reminds me of this article I read on slate about how millennials are perpuating racism by pretending it doesn't exist.

Reminded of Roxy's thread also about how she doesn't see racism as a big issue.

How Millennials Perpetuate Racism By Pretending It Doesn't Exist - Business Insider
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #110 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

In short u are both very misguided and I disagree. I can elaborate tmrw when not on mobile.



My fave white priv story tho is the duke non rape scandal. So much priv
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.