Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #301 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,157
Default

I'm pretty sure the Supreme Court went by popular opinion in their decision of this. Which isn't bad. It just means they're actually listening to the people.
__________________

CWH
Key is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #302 (permalink)
Brain Licker
 
Xurtio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
I'm pretty sure the Supreme Court went by popular opinion in their decision of this. Which isn't bad. It just means they're actually listening to the people.
Obama himself waited until the approval rating was >50% before "evolving" on the issue. With social issues like this, the decision MUST be made based on public acceptance or else it's not enforced and scotus loses authority in the long-term. You can see that even with approval >50%, some counties are still fighting it. But the public backlash and shaming that those counties are experiencing from the rest of the nation is doing a lot of the work for scotus.
__________________
H̓̇̅̉yͤ͏mͬ͂ͧn͑̽̽̌ͪ̑͐͟o̴͊̈́͑̇m͛͌̓ͦ̑aͫ̽ͤ̇n̅̎͐̒ͫ͐c̆ͯͫ̋ ̔̃́eͯ͒rͬͬ̄҉
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #303 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,537
Default

I've noticed that a lot of people bitching about the decision are the same type of people who subscribe to the 'if yew don't like it yew kin git out' philosophy whenever someone has a problem with something in America. Last I checked, none of them have moved. You thought it was wise advice before, but now that your pal Jeebus is involved that somehow makes it different?
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #304 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

@ xurtio

that's interesting.. but i don't think that is what the supreme court is meant to do. i know you say it's not about what they should do but what they actually do, but i interpreted that as "in a perfect world... they should do x" where as the political reality doesn't allow that.

but as far as i understand the role of the supreme court, the role they are supposed to play is in ruling on legal cases on a federal level using logic and precedents derived from the constitution and previous legal rulings.

Quote:
Deciding Which Cases to Hear
Each year, the Supreme Court is asked to hear approximately five thousand cases. However, because of time and resource constraints and because not all cases are of equal merit, the Court selects only a handful to formally review.

When formal appeals are filed before the Supreme Court, legal briefs outlining the reasons behind the appeals are circulated among the Justices who sit on the Court. Justices then compile and circulate a "Discuss List" of cases that might warrant Supreme Court review. Finally, the Justices meet and vote on which cases to hear. The Court uses an informal "Rule of Four" in deciding whether or not to hear a case--only four of the nine Justices need to vote to hear a case. Through this process, the Court chooses 150 to 200 cases to hear each year.

As they narrow the number of cases on the "Discuss List," the Justices use several standards to determine whether or not a case is "justiciable." First and foremost, the Court must decide if it has jurisdiction in a case. If it does not, it will not hear the case. The Court has heard less than 200 original jurisdiction cases in its entire history. The Court will also generally refuse to rule on "political questions," cases that it believes are better addressed through the regular political process by other branches of government. Cases in which no real controversy or dispute exists will also be rejected by the Court--it will not address hypothetical questions. Similarly, the person or persons who bring cases before the Court must have "standing." They must be able to show that they have sustained "injury in fact," i.e. that they have been harmed in some real way. An individual who knows someone who is wrongfully imprisoned does not have standing to sue for his or her release (the imprisoned individual would have standing).
ThisNation.com--Supreme Court Decision Making

this is why politicians and polemics often whine about "activist judges" and the like.. the supreme court was never intended to act as a tool for implementing political agendas. of course the pragmatic reality is that presidents are elected and presidents get to appoint justices, and so presidents tend to appoint justices which conform to their ideological persuasion. even this is a sort of bastardization of the role the supreme court is supposed to fulfill.

but if you're saying the supreme court is just guided by popular opinion vs actual legalese logic then i'd say that makes the supreme court even more of a joke, to me. i would ask why not just make these decisions a matter of public referendum, if the qualifying criteria for a sound supreme court decision is public support. we really don't need judges to determine what the popular opinion is, if that's all that matters.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #305 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post

Yeah the straight man who talks about his sex life with his wife constantly and called me autistic totally has dealt with the hardships of being gay. Do you even realize all of the psychological bull**** gay pepole go through from the second they realize they are gay? There's a reason the suicide rates are so high.
Been sitting on this one for a while and here goes.

First off, I suggested that you may suffer from Asperger's. Which your most recent posting history only reinforces.

Secondly, I dealt with a ton of hardships growing up as the only male in a gay household. Bet I was picked on, and physically abused more than you'll ever know. I grew up in the 60s dude. I was beat up for having a gay mom more than I want to remember. I spent most of my childhood as "that queer's kid".

I reserve the right to call out homophobes. Deal with it.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #306 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
I reserve the right to call out homophobes. Deal with it.
As does everybody else.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #307 (permalink)
Resident rightwing nutjob
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
As does everybody else.
Amen.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #308 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
zombie kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: in a grave.
Posts: 59
Default

It's pretty great that America has finally recognized gay marriage. I never thought it would happen.
zombie kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #309 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
grtwhtgrvty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Been sitting on this one for a while and here goes.

First off, I suggested that you may suffer from Asperger's. Which your most recent posting history only reinforces.

Secondly, I dealt with a ton of hardships growing up as the only male in a gay household. Bet I was picked on, and physically abused more than you'll ever know. I grew up in the 60s dude. I was beat up for having a gay mom more than I want to remember. I spent most of my childhood as "that queer's kid".

I reserve the right to call out homophobes. Deal with it.

Stop misdiagnosing people.

You're not a psychologist.

How can someone who is constantly sarcastic have aspergers? Do you even know what that word means? You're not even calling anyone out. Hurr durr I reserve the right to call out homophobes in a context where they can't actually see what I'm saying

So who are you calling out? And what good is it doing? To call someone out means you're challenging them. You're not challenging anyone -- you're having a circle jerk so you can feel good about yourself.

You seem to enjoy doing things when it isn't your place to do them. It's very typical straight, white male entitlement. I bet you've never once thought to yourself "Hm, maybe it isn't my place to do be doing this because of the position I am in, and the person that I am."

Whatever. Have fun with your self righteousness and your ignorant armchair psychology. You and dwnwthvwls both need to educate yourselves.
__________________
My music

Last edited by grtwhtgrvty; 06-30-2015 at 02:26 PM.
grtwhtgrvty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #310 (permalink)
Resident rightwing nutjob
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
Stop misdiagnosing people.

You're not a psychologist.

How can someone who is constantly sarcastic have aspergers? Do you even know what that word means? You're not even calling anyone out. Hurr durr I reserve the right to call out homophobes in a context where they can't actually see what I'm saying

So who are you calling out? And what good is it doing? To call someone out means you're challenging them. You're not challenging anyone -- you're having a circle jerk so you can feel good about yourself.

You seem to enjoy doing things when it isn't your place to do them. It's very typical straight, white male entitlement. I bet you've never once thought to yourself "Hm, maybe it isn't my place to do be doing this because of the position I am in, and the person that I am."

Whatever. Have fun with your self righteousness and your ignorant armchair psychology. You and dwnwthvwls both need to educate yourselves.
I still don't really see why he can't call out homophobia, and condemn those who are homophobic.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.