Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

elphenor 03-26-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1816906)
It was boring. To be fair, even though I won, there isn't much information out there on illegal immigration on Canada because it's such a non issue there.

And my main point was that it's harder to immigrate to other 1st world countries than it is to immigrate to the US.

all you found out is that Canada doesn't know how many people come in because mostly they don't care

we're talking about one of the most favorable to immigration countries in the world actually

I mean, it wasn't even possible to be an illegal immigrant in Canada until relatively recent history

elphenor 03-26-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1816902)
If I could understand that he'd be a Bernie supporter this whole time despite having a FEW ideals that could be perceived as conservative at first glance

given his positions Bernie would metaphorically spit on him

sounds like he's the type of guy that voted Trump in the general despite Hillary actually sharing about 70-80% of Bernie's positions while Trump was in line with about 10%

this is assuming he isn't just lying

Lucem Ferre 03-26-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1816928)
That's the thing you have to come to realize when talking about politics not much is going to change the other person's perspective/opinion. Very rarely does it happen so if that's your intent that you are definitely in the wrong topic of discussion.

Each person says their side/opinion and then you move on because you eventually get to a point in the conversation where you just have to agree to disagree. I have done this numerous times talking to Trump supporter friends on FB. They respect my ability to have a conversation without having to dive into insults.

And I've noticed that too and appreciate you for it. And at the end of the day when you can have a civilized conversation you end up at least having a better understanding or a respect for somebody you disagree with. And it kind of like, makes that person less of an enemy rather than leaving a bitter taste in your mouth. And that's how a political discussion should be. In my opinion. But hey, not only should I expect less out of a political discussion, but I should expect less out of a political discussion on the internet.

Lucem Ferre 03-26-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1816935)
given his positions Bernie would metaphorically spit on him

sounds like he's the type of guy that voted Trump in the general despite Hillary actually sharing about 70-80% of Bernie's positions while Trump was in line with about 10%

this is assuming he isn't just lying

Like what positions?

He doesn't sound anything like that to me. He sounds that way to you because he defends Trump from hyperbole.

And why would he lie about his positions?

Lucem Ferre 03-26-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1816933)
all you found out is that Canada doesn't know how many people come in because mostly they don't care

we're talking about one of the most favorable to immigration countries in the world actually

I mean, it wasn't even possible to be an illegal immigrant in Canada until relatively recent history

Cause it's never been a big deal because they don't have that problem

And yet, it's still harder for somebody to immigrate to Canada than it is to America. That was a proven fact. Take your L and move on.

Anteater 03-26-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1816935)
given his positions Bernie would metaphorically spit on him

sounds like he's the type of guy that voted Trump in the general despite Hillary actually sharing about 70-80% of Bernie's positions while Trump was in line with about 10%

this is assuming he isn't just lying

I was originally gonna vote Johnson...but he's kind of an idiot so I abstained this past election since there was no candidate that really lined up with what I wanted.

I agree with a lot of Bernie's positions in regards to how he would have "dismantled" the relationship between money and politics. We agree on most social issues too. My biggest point of skepticism with him was his tax plan and his views on countries like Cuba and Venezuela.

As Lucem points out though, this is an issue of your ego vs mine here. I favor certain issues more than you do because I chose a path outside the traditional workforce so I tend to speak up based on what I have experience in. I don't dislike you as a person or anything: I just don't see Communism as having that great a track record when corruption seems inevitable in most longstanding organizations, whereas Capitalism is flexible enough to work around that problem. I can be a pro-business Libertarian and still agree with Bernie on a lot of important issues. Just like how I can agree with Trump that some of our trade relationships are fucked even if I disagree with how he's handled every other major issue.

Chula Vista 03-26-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1816946)
I just don't see Communism as having that great a track record when corruption seems inevitable in most longstanding organizations, whereas Capitalism is flexible enough to work around that problem. I can be a pro-business Libertarian and still agree with Bernie on a lot of important issues. Just like how I can agree with Trump that some our trade relationships are fucked even if I disagree with how he's handled every other major issue.

I agree with 90% of this. But capitalism is as corrupt as any other system, if not more, based on the US's track record.


The Batlord 03-27-2017 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1816948)
I agree with 90% of this. But capitalism is as corrupt as any other system, if not more, based on the US's track record.

Yes, but, potential climate death aside, it still basically functions even with corruption so long as it's kept in check through government regulations. That climate death does kinda sorta throw a monkey wrench in the machine, but you win some you lose some.

djchameleon 03-27-2017 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1816963)
Yes, but, potential climate death aside, it still basically functions even with corruption so long as it's kept in check through government regulations. That climate death does kinda sorta throw a monkey wrench in the machine, but you win some you lose some.

This right here is what his administration wants to get rid of. It is part of their ideology of having small government. They just want to be able to get away with much more than they have been.

elphenor 03-27-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1816940)
That was a proven fact.

I'm not sure you understand what this means


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.