Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

Anteater 12-20-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785299)
Unsure what you're getting at. Am I not supposed to be of the opinion that Trump is going to push us back over 60 years of progress?

Correct, because that's fearmongering and an overtly pessimistic way to think. Trump didn't elect himself to overturn all the good that has been done in the past (he was a Democrat himself until fairly recently), and everything people assume for good or ill is all assumption anyway, just like you don't know if you'll find a million dollars when you step outside your house or if a meteor will come down. Think of it this way: If Obama with his endless procession of executive orders and questionable cabinet picks over an eight year period couldn't transform the United States into the liberal utopia the Republicans didn't want, I don't know why you'd expect something just as unrealistic from The Donald.

Trollheart 12-20-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1784843)
Beautiful.


So ... is this a video for or against Trump? Cos, you know, at the end he destroys Earth... :confused:

Anteater 12-20-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 1785320)
So ... is this a video for or against Trump? Cos, you know, at the end he destroys Earth... :confused:

More "for" than against, because it embraces the meme culture that got Trump elected and uses a common leftist kneejerk response ("Trump is the end of the world") as a punchline.

Key 12-20-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1785318)
Correct, because that's fearmongering and an overtly pessimistic way to think. Trump didn't elect himself to overturn all the good that has been done in the past (he was a Democrat himself until fairly recently), and everything people assume for good or ill is all assumption anyway, just like you don't know if you'll find a million dollars when you step outside your house or if a meteor will come down. Think of it this way: If Obama with his endless procession of executive orders and questionable cabinet picks over an eight year period couldn't transform the United States into the liberal utopia the Republicans didn't want, I don't know why you'd expect something just as unrealistic from The Donald.

Well you believe what you want. Trump on the other hand has already proved through his cabinet choices that he wants to reverse upwards of 50 years of work starting with reversing a lot of what has happened in the last 8 years. If that's not scary to you, maybe rethink your own opinion.

Anteater 12-20-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785323)
Well you believe what you want. Trump on the other hand has already proved through his cabinet choices that he wants to reverse upwards of 50 years of work starting with reversing a lot of what has happened in the last 8 years. If that's not scary to you, maybe rethink your own opinion.

What has happened in the last eight years that's so miraculous? The ACA, which is Obama's legacy supposedly, is a massive failure. I've changed insurance companies twice in two years now because rates are skyrocketing seemingly without rhyme or reason.

As far as his cabinet picks are concerned...again, lots of kneejerk reactions. For instance, I don't think Rick Perry is honestly that bad a choice for the Department Of Energy, at least if you have ALL information available at your disposal. And yes, I'm aware this is The Federalist. But the points made are still valid.

https://thefederalist.com/2016/12/14...retary-energy/

And so on and so forth. Again, you have the power to do your own research and examine all avenues of possibility. Don't be a follower: keep an open mind and examine all assumptions. Don't be like Chula and elphenor and have a kneejerk reaction to things based on emotional responses to minimal information and laughable biases. Human beings are more than the sum of their careers after all, and that goes for cabinet picks as well. I've seen better and worse picks alike over the last 30 years, yet somehow America is still alive and well.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-20-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785323)
Well you believe what you want. Trump on the other hand has already proved through his cabinet choices that he wants to reverse upwards of 50 years of work starting with reversing a lot of what has happened in the last 8 years. If that's not scary to you, maybe rethink your own opinion.

lol please inform us on what happened in the last 8 years that if undone will set the US back 50 years. you're reading too many of the same articles as Chula it seems.

The Batlord 12-20-2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785323)
If that's not scary to you, maybe rethink your own opinion.

Whenever you say this, or "Maybe do some research", it makes you sound like a defensive idiot.

Key 12-20-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1785325)
lol please inform us on what happened in the last 8 years that if undone will set the US back 50 years. you're reading too many of the same articles as Chula it seems.

So he doesn't seem like a threat to you? Perhaps you need to do more reading.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-20-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785327)
So he doesn't seem like a threat to you? Perhaps you need to do more reading.

so instead of answering my question you put words in mouth and tell me to do some reading

Chula Vista Jr. ladies and gentlemen!

Key 12-20-2016 05:21 PM

This forum is gonna be the death of me whether it's from people's own inability to research or my inability to let a stupid argument go.

The Batlord 12-20-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785337)
This forum is gonna be the death of me whether it's from people's own inability to research or my inability to let a stupid argument go.

You could always try presenting your own research instead of being lazy.

Key 12-20-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1785342)
You could always try presenting your own research instead of being lazy.

I'm honestly more interested in hearing counter arguments to research that is plain sight. If you look at Trump's cabinet choices and you're not afraid of what the country will turn into, you haven't been paying attention.

The Batlord 12-20-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785344)
I'm honestly more interested in hearing counter arguments to research that is plain sight. If you look at Trump's cabinet choices and you're not afraid of what the country will turn into, you haven't been paying attention.

Plain sight is not research, if you researched research then you might know that.

Key 12-20-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1785346)
Plain sight is not research, if you researched research then you might know that.

Don't cop out because you're in a corner, tell me how you really feel.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-20-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785323)
Well you believe what you want. Trump on the other hand has already proved through his cabinet choices that he wants to reverse upwards of 50 years of work starting with reversing a lot of what has happened in the last 8 years. If that's not scary to you, maybe rethink your own opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1785325)
lol please inform us on what happened in the last 8 years that if undone will set the US back 50 years. you're reading too many of the same articles as Chula it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785327)
So he doesn't seem like a threat to you? Perhaps you need to do more reading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785337)
This forum is gonna be the death of me whether it's from people's own inability to research or my inability to let a stupid argument go.

seriously? you make a bold statement with absolutely ZERO, and i mean literally zero evidence and when i bite, it's my "lack of ability to research?" i'm not even necessarily trying to start an arguement, i just want to know why you would make such a ridiculous claim. if you think it's that obvious then please give me the specifics. what progress made over the last 8 years is so vital to the country that having it reversed will set it back 50 years?

Key 12-20-2016 06:41 PM

Well let's see

Equal pay for women
Same sex marriage
Lower minimum wage
Women can't get help of raped

Yknow...like it was in the 1940s. The cabinet is full of rich white businessmen who has no political background.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-20-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785365)
Well let's see

Equal pay for women
Same sex marriage
Lower minimum wage
Women can't get help of raped

Yknow...like it was in the 1940s. The cabinet is full of rich white businessmen who has no political background.

damn dude you need to stop reading so many buzzfeed and huff post articles. what do you think trump and his cabinet are going to do, force business' to pay women less? i'm assuming you aren't insinuating that women are just naturally paid less than men because the wage gap has been debunked and explained many years ago.

the right for same sex marriage isn't going to just go away, if you really wanted to go on a point like this it would have been much smarter to use abortion, but that isn't going anywhere either, not on a nation wide scale at least. especially considering, as Anteater already mentioned, Trump used to be a democrat was actually pro choice on the abortion issue. with his flip flopping on both of these issues over the past should really tell you how little he actually cares about these things. he isn't going to make any changes with them, despite what the 'not my president' folks want to tell ya.

and here, read this http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...arriage-231310

idek what that last point is insinuating but that's a societal issue not a presidential one so try again.

Anteater 12-20-2016 07:11 PM

If more people read this book and internalized it we could have more legitimate political and socio-political discussion in this thread (and the world) without everyone feeling the desire to make sweeping generalizations on both sides of the political spectrum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Righteous_Mind

elphenor 12-20-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785268)
Seeing as he won the electoral college vote, it's time to prepare for the end of the world.

A lot of people will be hurt by this but as long as you're white and middle class you'll probably be fine

If we're on track to another financial crisis, and we probably are, there was nothing in Hillary's platform that really addressed the root of that anyway

elphenor 12-20-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1785369)
i'm assuming you aren't insinuating that women are just naturally paid less than men because the wage gap has been debunked and explained many years ago.

this still isn't true women do get paid slightly less on average and are less likely to get a job than a man even when you control for the variable of men working more hours

Nobody on either side actually doubts this, that's why Republicans continually block Democrats attempts to pass a bill to address it

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-20-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1785388)
this still isn't true women do get paid slightly less on average and are less likely to get a job than a man even when you control for the variable of men working more hours

Nobody on either side actually doubts this, that's why Republicans continually block Democrats attempts to pass a bill to address it

there's also a difference in average wage by race. it's not as cut and paste as because one person is a woman they make less or because one person is black they make less, there are variables that cause these discrepancies in wage. it's a matter of career choice and decision making once you're into the field, it isn't a matter of women just getting less money in their paycheck than men.

Quote:

The wage gap is a statistical indicator often used as an index of the status of women's earnings relative to men's. It is also used to compare the earnings of other races and ethnicities to those of white males, a group generally not subject to race- or sex-based discrimination. The wage gap is expressed as a percentage (e.g., in 2013, women earned 78.3% as much as men aged 16 and over) and is calculated by dividing the median annual earnings for women by the median annual earnings for men.

The Equal Pay Act was signed in 1963, making it illegal for employers to pay unequal wages to men and women who hold the same job and do the same work. At the time of the EPA's passage, women earned just 58 cents for every dollar earned by men. By 2013, that rate had increased to 78 cents. Minority women fare the worst. African-American women earn just 64 cents to every dollar earned by white men, and for Hispanic women that figure drops to merely 56 cents per dollar. Asian women are the exception, earning 80 cents for every dollar earned by white men--a sum higher than women of all other races/ethnicities as well as African-American and Hispanic men.

The Institute for Women’s Policy Research looked at a 15-year model and found that women's cumulative earnings show a far greater disparity than annual comparisons. Women’s lower work hours and their years with zero earnings due to family care certainly are factors affecting the report's findings: women workers in their prime earning years earned 62% less than men, or only $0.38 for every dollar men earned. During that 15-year period, the average woman earned only $273,592 while the average man earned $722,693 (in 1999 dollars).
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763170.html

also I'm interested in how you feel this should be fixed. I believe people should be paid on performance and there are times when two people should not be paid the same even if they're in the same position, but that's just me.

elphenor 12-20-2016 09:49 PM

Yes obviously the wage gap is not explained by cut and dry discrimination by the employer it is one of the contributing factors however and actually the easiest to fix

The bill Democrats recently tried to get passed to build on top of the EPA to reduce the portion of the gap that is due to discrimination even further:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paycheck_Fairness_Act

An estimated 5-10 percent of the pay gap can be addressed this way

elphenor 12-20-2016 09:55 PM

You'll notice the Democrats have been trying to pass that bill for a good 10 years now

If pay gap had nothing to do with employer discrimination one would think Republicans would not be so universally committed to voting down a bill that would have no effect whatsoever

They know buis. discriminates but they think it's their right to, something liberals including myself fundamentally disagree with

Neapolitan 12-20-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1785389)

also I'm interested in how you feel this should be fixed. I believe people should be paid on performance and there are times when two people should not be paid the same even if they're in the same position, but that's just me.

So you believe that bankers should make up fake accounts, cause you know if your judged by "performance" you have to keep up. Making fake accounts is the best way to prove you performing. Gotta meet those expectations of branch managers, or regional managers whoever etc.

elphenor 12-21-2016 12:20 AM

the profit motive is what leads to economic suicide, it basically incentives corruption as Nea's example posted above demonstrates

our whole value system of "hard work" is totally asinine honestly work is not good unless it's in the act of doing good though we are taught to make money is to do good

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-21-2016 06:40 AM

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b7&oe=58E02E16

Frownland 12-21-2016 08:27 AM

I've met a commie who always had the strong chronic though. He should try some of their ****.

Goofle 12-21-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1785365)
Well let's see

Equal pay for women
Same sex marriage
Lower minimum wage
Women can't get help of raped

Yknow...like it was in the 1940s. The cabinet is full of rich white businessmen who has no political background.

I'd have sigged this if you were joking.

elphenor 12-21-2016 05:14 PM

He's like partially right

Most states have a higher minimum wage than the federal so if they actually go ahead and lower it which I kind of doubt anyway, it's basically just Georgia that'd be effected

There's a good chance Trump will get to appoint 2 supreme court justices which will be conservatives and could indeed overturn same sex marriage that is a possibility

The women issues will continue as they already exist and Republicans prevent us from fixing them

Goofle 12-21-2016 05:25 PM

Only democrats have good intentions.

elphenor 12-21-2016 05:39 PM

not even Democrats necessarily have good intentions they just have better policy

30% are entirely bought and as good as Republicans

Goofle 12-21-2016 05:46 PM

Some people have different ideas on what's good and bad. It's kinda refreshing coming from England, where pretty much every one of our parties have ran on the same platform for decades.

Trollheart 12-21-2016 06:04 PM

At least you're not in Ireland, where the mantra for each successive government is "Sure it's not our fault, the fellas before us ****ed everything up. Blame them. And mine's a Guinness." :laughing: (not even)

elphenor 12-21-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1785778)
Some people have different ideas on what's good and bad.

You don't say

This is true in the UK and everywhere else btw

Chula Vista 12-23-2016 08:51 PM

Oh my.....

Trump’s HHS pick invested in health stocks while writing laws in congress.

The Batlord 12-23-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1786952)

You make me root for Trump's corruption because you're exactly what you hate in your friends and family back in Massachusetts.

Chula Vista 12-23-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1786960)
You make me root for Trump's corruption because you're exactly what you hate in your friends and family back in Massachusetts.

Pipe in when you have a ****ing clue what you are talking about.

The Batlord 12-23-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1786962)
Pipe in when you have a ****ing clue what you are talking about.

Pipe in when you're not a mindless ****.

Chula Vista 12-23-2016 09:28 PM

Last I checked I wasn't a racist, bigoted, prejudiced, dickhead who thinks every black is a gang member, every Muslim is a terrorist, everyone on welfare is a leech, and every dude in their 30s still living at home and flipping burgers for a living is a loser.

Key 12-23-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1786964)
Last I checked I wasn't a racist, bigoted, prejudiced, dickhead who thinks every black is a gang member, every Muslim is a terrorist, everyone on welfare is a leech, and every dude in their 30s still living at home and flipping burgers for a living is a loser.

.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 AM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.