Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Well?
Yes 3 14.29%
No, never 4 19.05%
Maybe, under certain circumstances 8 38.10%
Undecided 0 0%
Only if the ban was requested 1 4.76%
Just JWB and Sansa 2 9.52%
Anal Beads 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #81 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I'm fairly certain plenty of these people had several chances before being banned.
Exactly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #82 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 4,721
Default

And years of being banned are enough of a punishment for their disregard.
__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #83 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
But this is pretty much the basis of MB. We all break the rules every day, but it's okay, 'cause we're buds.

I can see that you're starting to get upset, exaggerating, getting wall-of-texty, and I think I know why.

You know I'm right on this, TH. It's pretty silly to argue against one final chance for members that are missed, as if it would cause the mods great effort to just ban them again should they misbehave. It really is simple and harmless.

I know about that grudge between you and Sansa. Or at least, she told me her side of it in Plug. Actually, I think most of the main MB posters know about it. Cat's out of the bag, man. Move on.

No that's bull****. I couldn't give less of a **** about Sansa. What I want to know is, what has been the catalyst for this sudden desire to have these posters back? They've been gone for a long time: what's changed? Where is the justification to bring them back? Why? Who is paying for your campaign to reinstate them? The truth must out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
If the account stays banned and they post on a new one then it has as that account is still banned.
Yeah, pretty much what I said. But unfortunately that doesn't address this question. Ori is asking to change the rules for two people who, so far as I can see, have done nothing to deserve that.

Have either of these two people spoken to you, Ori, or anyone, and expressed
a) a desire to come back
b) a willingness to change and
c) a promise to respect the rules?

Cos if not then I don't see what the point is. At all. To return to your analogy of prisoners and sentences, those sentences only get shortened IF the prisoner deserves it, if they behave. Nobody says, as you are, and as I already mentioned, "oh let them out, they've learned their lesson." Lucky you're not running our prisons, with that attitude, is all I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Sorry man. Cheap shot, I know.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #84 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, pretty much what I said. But unfortunately that doesn't address this question. Ori is asking to change the rules for two people who, so far as I can see, have done nothing to deserve that.
So you agree then that they should be allowed to post again just on a new account?

Quote:
Have either of these two people spoken to you, Ori, or anyone, and expressed
a) a desire to come back
b) a willingness to change and
c) a promise to respect the rules?
JWB signs up every now and then. Actually both of them have posted since the bans so point a) I would say yes and as for the second two questions JWB was hardly abusive or a c*nt so not sure what he'd have to change tbh. What was he banned for TH?
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #85 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 1,313
Default

Out of curiosity, did it occur to you guys that maybe Ori is simply causing mischief as usual?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #86 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
So you agree then that they should be allowed to post again just on a new account?
Absolutely not. You mean like sockpuppets? That should only happen if permission is given, or the old account can be activated, I don't care. But nobody should be able to "cleverly" circumvent the rules, is the point.
Quote:

JWB signs up every now and then. Actually both of them have posted since the bans so point a) I would say yes and as for the second two questions JWB was hardly abusive or a c*nt so not sure what he'd have to change tbh. What was he banned for TH?
The problem with JWB, and I do like the guy, is that he continually pushes the mods' buttons (nearly wrote "bottoms" there! That could have been interesting! ) by posting sockpuppet accounts, knowing he's banned. I think originally he was banned for something to do with racial slurs? Jews maybe? I don't know. Maybe he got at someone personally. I really can't remember and I don't actually know, but he always seemed to be riding the edges, metaphorically dropping his pants and sticking his arse out the window and giving the cops (our mods) the finger, saying "Go on, arrest me, I dare ya!" so it wasn't a surprise.

I'll be interested to see what Ori says to my last post, if he replies. WHY should these people be let back in? What have they done to deserve it, and why now? Have any of them agreed to change/behave/obey the rules? In my opinion, it's not enough to say they've been banned long enough and there's no other reason. Do you let a mass murderer out of jail just because you think he's learned his lesson? Yeah, that's right: I compared them to mass murderers. Of the forum, sure.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #87 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 4,721
Default

@TH You won't know if they'll behave until they come back. If they don't, then away they go again.

Rules are bent here all the time. Following them to the letter purely because "they're the rules" is arbitrary. What matters is that the community is happy, not that all the rules are followed blindly. Otherwise, Bat, Hawk, Chula, and I, would've been kicked out a long time ago.

Yes, I'd like to see Sansa and JWB get another chance. If you plugged more back when they came around often, you'd know that they're actually pretty chill.

You're acting like giving a few members one last chance would ruin everything, when realistically only one of two things would happen; they'd either prove that they've learned their lesson, and contribute to the community, or they'd lapse and be effortlessly and painleasly banned.

The fact that you're so staunchly opposed to this quite simple and reasonable prospect, and you're admission that you'd immediately ignore Sansa if she came back, really makes it seem like you really can't let go of all that stuff that happened between you two. You've gotta let that shit go.
__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #88 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
And years of being banned are enough of a punishment for their disregard.
Only if they received a years-long ban and not a permanent one.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #89 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 4,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Out of curiosity, did it occur to you guys that maybe Ori is simply causing mischief as usual?
Shhhh!

I actually did kinda make this and the smoking thread to liven things up and get people talking about stuff other than footie. But now I'm sort of curious why TH is so staunchly opposed to what I think is a pretty reasonable position.
__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #90 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
@TH You won't know if they'll behave until they come back. If they don't, then away they go again.

Rules are bent here all the time. Following them to the letter purely because "they're the rules" is arbitrary. What matters is that the community is happy, not that all the rules are followed blindly. Otherwise, Bat, Hawk, Chula, and I, would've been kicked out a long time ago.

Yes, I'd like to see Sansa and JWB get another chance. If you plugged more back when they came around often, you'd know that they're actually pretty chill.

You're acting like giving a few members one last chance would ruin everything, when realistically only one of two things would happen; they'd either prove that they've learned their lesson, and contribute to the community, or they'd lapse and be effortlessly and painleasly banned.

The fact that you're so staunchly opposed to this quite simple and reasonable prospect, and you're admission that you'd immediately ignore Sansa if she came back, really makes it seem like you really can't let go of all that stuff that happened between you two. You've gotta let that shit go.
Answer my simple questions: WHY and WHY NOW? What has changed? And has there been any communication with either/both in which they've indicated they would "behave", for want of a better word?

I won't be letting anything go, and that's my prerogative. I loathe and despise Sansa like I really don't loathe and despise anyone else, so she is on Ignore even though she's not here and will remain so if she is allowed back. That won't be changing. This isn't about her. You have to explain why you think ANYONE deserves a second chance, after been given, let's not forget, multiple warnings, temp bans and chances galore. People who constantly flout the authority here have no right, in my opinion, to a second chance UNLESS they have stated their intention to change. Otherwise, waste of time.

Anyway it's as always up to the mods, so what I think has no bearing on this. And please stop using the word "arbitrary" incorrectly.
Following them to the letter purely because "they're the rules" is arbitrary.
This couldn't be more wrong. Following the rules that suit you because you want to IS arbitrary. Following all the rules because they're the rules is the furthest thing from arbitary you could get.

And nobody's saying everyone follows all the rules. I've broken some. But when you break the rules, you get warned, or temporarily banned. If you consistently break ALL or the major rules, and ignore warnings and think you can do what you like, you get a permaban. And a permaban should be permanent, otherwise what is it?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.