Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #331 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
The Sex Pistols were still more influencial and important.

The only american punk band who can take on The Clash or The Pistols in influence is The Ramones, they are pretty much the big 3, obviously.
Iggy and the Stooges. Britian can't even compare to america in the punk.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #332 (permalink)
Whitewater!
 
Merkaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,885
Default

Tea and a biscuit anyone?
__________________
She thinks I'm a reclusive genius, she's going to be very disappointed when she finds out i'm a reclusive wanker
Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #333 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Iggy and the Stooges. Britian can't even compare to america in the punk.
Iggy And The Stooges being a punk band has always been a matter of debate, i think they are punk, but regardless some of their biggest influences were british bands, like The Stones, The Kinks and The Who.

When you think about it, the template for punk rock as we know it can be traced back to those 3 bands.

The Ramones had many british rock influences, hell, Joey even tried to sound british on all of their records.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #334 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

I thought influence didn't matter? You brushed aside the american influence on some of the bands you mentioned.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #335 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

That first wave of punk was negligible in my opinoin, DK's, Black Flag, Bad Religeon, Soical D...thats what sells me.

We own the balls off of britian in blues, country, punk, jazz, and hip hop/rap.

Whats it feel like to be a one-trick pony britain?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #336 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
I thought influence didn't matter? You brushed aside the american influence on some of the bands you mentioned.
Im taking both influence and quantity into consideration.

UK simply had a greater quantity of more influencial musicians.

And better musicians, in my opinion...Though thats not the point im trying to make.

Bands like The Beatles, The Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc have had consistant influence generations of bands, and their influence is still quite powerful today, the influence of early rock n roll pioneers like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and others have faded in the past couple of years, while that by NO means takes away from their greatness, its also a good way to measure direct influence, and most bands today dont credit them as influences.

Thing is, every decade thousands of bands tip their hats to The Stones and The Beatles, their influence on young musicians hasnt faded a bit.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #337 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Im taking both influence and quantity into consideration.

UK simply had a greater quantity of more influencial musicians.

And better musicians, in my opinion...Though thats not the point im trying to make.
That last one is bull, The Fall Of Troy are more talented musicians then the majority of bands you've mentioned. Oh snap only classic rock artists count though...who do we have..oh that jimi hendrix dude!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #338 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
I thought influence didn't matter? You brushed aside the american influence on some of the bands you mentioned.
This is so true. Boo boo's logic only applies when it benefits Britain. I don't even understand how someone can say that The Who, the Kinks, and the Stones are the template of Punk music, and then turn around and say that even though those bands were all influenced by Blues and Rock & Roll, Britain is still more influential. That makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to use that kind of logic, then it has to work both ways.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #339 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Bands like The Beatles, The Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc have had consistant influence generations of bands, and their influence is still quite powerful today, the influence of early rock n roll pioneers like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and others have faded in the past couple of years, while that by NO means takes away from their greatness, its also a good way to measure direct influence, and most bands today dont credit them as influences.

Thing is, every decade thousands of bands tip their hats to The Stones and The Beatles, their influence on young musicians hasnt faded a bit.
A lot of the bands I listen to also cite The Beach Boys, VU, The Stooges and other Proto-Punk bands, early Hardcore bands, etc., etc.

Oh, but wait, none of those bands are famous and most are American, so I guess they don't mean shit.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #340 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
That last one is bull, The Fall Of Troy are more talented musicians then the majority of bands you've mentioned. Oh snap only classic rock artists count though...who do we have..oh that jimi hendrix dude!
And i told you im not talking about whos more talented or whos better, thats all subjective opinion and it dosent affect this debate (or it shouldnt anyway), we are talking about greatest, im not saying The Beatles and The Stones ARE greater than Elvis and Dylan, just that UK has more bands that can be considered great, and The Beatles has influenced more innovative and talented bands than Elvis has...And one thing UK dosent lack is technicaly gifted musicians, um hello?...Mahavishnu Orchestra anyone?

And Jimi Hendrix may have been a born american, but he got his big break in England, he lived there for years, plus Mitchell and Redding were british, making JHE essentialy a british act, the UK was where he made his records, thats the place that made him famous, and thats where he first got noticed, if he stayed in the states, its likely nobody would even know who he is, no record company in the US wanted to have a thing to do with him.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.