Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Pick an artist
Beach Boys, The 10 23.26%
Fall of Troy, The 8 18.60%
Smashing Pumpkins, The 8 18.60%
Yes 10 23.26%
Wire 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

You're right, Ethans wrong.

Lock thread.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
British_pharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 454
Default

and your precious Pitchfork magazine has Siamese Dream highers than Odelay among 90's albums

but of course this is where the convenient
magazine lists mean nothing comes into it
__________________
"I hate Purity, I hate Goodness, I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt to the bones"

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0
British_pharaoh is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
You'd put The Velvet Underground and Nico up with say Rubber Soul or Pet Sounds wouldn't you?

well you bloody should do anyway

now the latter 2 are hardly as innovative and experimental as the Velvets but they are still marvellous albums that are held in just as high esteem and by a lot of people maybe even higher
Hardly relevant since you don't know my opinions on those is it?

Quote:
but they are 3 albums that are completely different just like Odelay, Siamese Dream and oh I dunno something like '69 Love Songs'
You're the one who compared them not me so don't complain that Siamese Dream is being placed next to Odelay.

Quote:
innovation and originality is always revered but just because a band is able to make a tremendous record despite being (like you stated) like 200 other bands shouldn't mean they are regarded as an inferior artist.
In comparison to someone doing something completely singular and innovative yeah they're inferior.

Quote:
In fact it can sometimes say more for a band if they can clearly stand out from their contemporaries.
So? They're still not doing something original and when you place them next to someone doing something original guess who's generally going to be seen as more important? The artist doing something original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
You're right, Ethans wrong.

Lock thread.
Will you shut the fuck up if you're not going to contribute something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
and your precious Pitchfork magazine has Siamese Dream highers than Odelay among 90's albums

but of course this is where the convenient
magazine lists mean nothing comes into it
I don't even like pitchfork's reviews in fact I've criticized them several times as being ridiculous and a completely elitist joke. Stop making completely irrelevant and unfounded comments please, it doesn't do anything for your argument.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

And what are you contributing? Right now you're trolling your own thread.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
British_pharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 454
Default

Quote:
Hardly relevant since you don't know my opinions on those is it?



You're the one who compared them not me so don't complain that Siamese Dream is being placed next to Odelay.
I wans't comparing as such I was placing Siamese Dream in amongst a few random memorable and brillaint albums of the 90's



Quote:
In comparison to someone doing something completely singular and innovative yeah they're inferior.
I never said either were inferior
but you were insinuating in your posts that somehow Smashing Pumpkins should be penalised for being less original and innovative than Beck (I'm not saying that's what you strictly meant but that's how it came across)
now would you care to respond to the rest of my post instead of dodging the more difficult opinions I made




Quote:
So? They're still not doing something original and when you place them next to someone doing something original guess who's generally going to be seen as more important? The artist doing something original.
Never did I make this thread about who was more important
I stated the Smashign Pumpkins' Siamese Dream album should be regarded as just as important as other great albums released in the 90's
__________________
"I hate Purity, I hate Goodness, I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt to the bones"

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0
British_pharaoh is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
And what are you contributing? Right now you're trolling your own thread.
You seem to have a very warped concept of what trolling is. If I was trolling my own thread my post would just consist of "LOLS SMASHING PUMPKIN SCUKCS111" and not provided any argument whatsoever. Which I'm doing and you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
I wans't comparing as such I was placing Siamese Dream in amongst a few random memorable and brillaint albums of the 90's

I never said either were inferior
but you were insinuating in your posts that somehow Smashing Pumpkins should be penalised for being less original and innovative than Beck (I'm not saying that's what you strictly meant but that's how it came across)
now would you care to respond to the rest of my post instead of dodging the more difficult opinions I made

Never did I make this thread about who was more important
I stated the Smashign Pumpkins' Siamese Dream album should be regarded as just as important as other great albums released in the 90's
How is it just as important? Maybe you should explain this before you make such claims because I don't see it as anything more than your typical 90s alternative guitar rock album and I hardly think it deserves to be placed next to Odelay or Loveless. Slanted & Enchanted, Ten, Nevermind (ignoring the impact factor), and the Blue Album sure because those are championed as classics but not necessarily innovative or groundbreaking ones.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
In comparison to someone doing something completely singular and innovative yeah they're inferior.
Actually no it dosen't, if the music is not good it dosen't matter if you're original or not. Siamese Dream is a damn good album, I don't even see whats so unoriginal about it.

Quote:
So? They're still not doing something original and when you place them next to someone doing something original guess who's generally going to be seen as more important? The artist doing something original.
I'm sorry Fall of Troy are not more importing than Smashing Pumpkins.

Add to that, Fall of Troy are just mixing hardcore with prog, its a novel concept, but I don't see how that makes them so damn original.

Add to that originality has NOTHING to do with importance, unless you're seriously gonna tell me The Residents are more important than The Rolling Stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
You seem to have a very warped concept of what trolling is. If I was trolling my own thread my post would just consist of "LOLS SMASHING PUMPKIN SCUKCS111" and not provided any argument whatsoever. Which I'm doing and you're not.
You made a poll where one of the options was Smashing Pumpkins, then you insulted people who voted for them, leading to this retarded argument.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
So? They're still not doing something original and when you place them next to someone doing something original guess who's generally going to be seen as more important? The artist doing something original.
sorry, but this is not true.

the Taj Mahal Travellers (japanese band) were very original, unlike anything else really

Nirvana were not particularly original.

by your logic the Taj Mahal Travellers are more important than Nirvana...obviously not the case.
GravitySlips is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Actually no it dosen't, if the music is not good it dosen't matter if you're original or not. Siamese Dream is a damn good album, I don't even see whats so unoriginal about it.
I don't see how its much different than all the 90s alternative guitar rock, British Pharaoh seems to have no problem with me saying its unoriginal in fact you agreed with him when he said they should be praised for doing the same thing as their contemporaries and standing out while doing it. Weird how you're saying something different now.

Quote:
I'm sorry Fall of Troy are not more importing than Smashing Pumpkins.
I never said they were, just more original.

Quote:
Add to that, Fall of Troy are just mixing hardcore with prog, its a novel concept, but I don't see how that makes them so damn original.
Who else sounds like the Fall of Troy?

Quote:
Add to that originality has NOTHING to do with importance, unless you're seriously gonna tell me The Residents are more important than The Rolling Stones.
Yeah but we're not comparing a fairly unknown act to a popular one. We're talking Beck and The Smashing Pumpkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
sorry, but this is not true.

the Taj Mahal Travellers (japanese band) were very original, unlike anything else really

Nirvana were not particularly original.

by your logic the Taj Mahal Travellers are more important than Nirvana...obviously not the case.
I repeat: "Yeah but we're not comparing a fairly unknown act to a popular one. We're talking Beck and The Smashing Pumpkins."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Also, Yes are more original than Modest Mouse (who are just ripping off Built to Spill).

And ELP is more original than Animal Collective (who are just copying early 90s Flaming Lips)
boo boo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.