Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DJ Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
LOL. Didn't you a have a thread about the Cure's new album not too long ago?
I did so what? I know they may not be "relevant" right now, or have been in some time, but their not coming out as "The Cure" with a different lead singer, and Pol is back, so it's almost the same.

I can say that i dont listen to too much current music, admittedly, so I dont know who's still "relevant" or not in this day and age. But, I do know that calling it AIC, when it really isn't, is a scam and the fans lose out the most.

As big of a Journey fan as i am, I refuse to buy a single thing they've put out, that does not have Steve Perry on it, why? they're nothing more than a cover band now. The fans lose out, and thats what's sad.

I didnt mind AIC back in the day, infact, I dug "The Rooster" quite a bit, but once they kinda got lumped in with the whole "grunge scene" thing, and people decided to move on and away from it, they sort of lost relevance. Coming back now, after all these years, with a new lead singer is fine, just dont call it AIC, as that means(in MY opinion anyways), that it's a scam.


Quote:
He's a wonderful source on bands that matter.
Maybe not to you, but thats fine. Just voicing my opinion, whether you like it or not. I like alot of bands/music that arent "relevant" nowadays, no arguement there. But, I don't think it's a good idea to come back as AIC when you're not.
DJ Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 57
Default

good posting. voicing opinions is what it's all about. I think we have learned here in this thread that it's not a great idea to try to replace something that is irreplaceable... I think we all agree on this to a certain exent.

some of you here seem quite knowledgeable on music and put forth your opinions in a way that is fun to read.

You guys would be very welcome here at Mix Radio ( which also has a forum )
A lot of bands that left/were dropped by labels and are moving into the Indie Power zone are both on the new site and on the web radio station. There are a few indie labels that are developing their own channels there as well...

There are a lot of Alice In Chains fans in our mailing list --
MRI at Mixposure | The Future of Independent Music - Mixposure is an Online Music Distributor Bringing Musicians and Music Lovers Together

What is cool is that you get to comment about each song & artist. There is also a chat room where users hang out on Saturday night during the live radio broadcast.
__________________
Daren

Hear MRI on Mix Radio
daren/MRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Phoenix View Post
Maybe not to you, but thats fine. Just voicing my opinion, whether you like it or not. I like alot of bands/music that arent "relevant" nowadays, no arguement there. But, I don't think it's a good idea to come back as AIC when you're not.
Alice in Chains weren't relevant when Layne Staley was alive and you can rest knowing that they'll be even more awful than before. I just find it funny how you'll shit on some bands that shouldn't be around now but you'll praise others that should have stopped making music twenty years ago.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Alice in Chains weren't relevant when Layne Staley was alive and you can rest knowing that they'll be even more awful than before.
dude, you need to take the earmuffs off when you listen to the radio
__________________
Daren

Hear MRI on Mix Radio
daren/MRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DJ Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Alice in Chains weren't relevant when Layne Staley was alive and you can rest knowing that they'll be even more awful than before. I just find it funny how you'll shit on some bands that shouldn't be around now but you'll praise others that should have stopped making music twenty years ago.
Most of those bands you speak of that I praise that shoulve "quit" years back? even with the **** some of them are still putting out, it's 1,000 times better than most of the garbage on the radio today. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Acutally, your statement isn't true technically. I listen to 80s music?mostly: new wave/synthpop/goth etc., I support these bands, and their new stuff.

You may not like U2, and their "relevancy" might not be up their with the likes of: Paramore/The Ting Tings or some other extremely ****ty group NME and others absolutely cream over, & thats fine. But, I've enjoyed U2's last 2 discs, as i have w/Duran Duran/Morrissey/DM/The Cure, etc. 3 of those bands haven't been "relevant" in years, and know what? Im still buying thewir wonderful music.


You got me on AIC still sucking. I'm by no means a member of their fanclub, I dug that one song, and will stick to what i said: they shouldnt call it AIC if it's not.
DJ Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default

I have to say I haven't really read through this post... but am replying regarding the new singer.

I am a huge fan of Alice in Chains... and love Layne's Vocals and Jerrys Guitar work.

I would love to hear more songs from the band but am sure it will not be the same without Layne, but im still excited about the new album.

I actually watched AIC Live in Australia last month and William Duvall did a great job of the old AIC songs. You can't compare him to Layne and his vocals are different and will never be as good as Laynes. Unfortunetly Layne has died and AIC will never be the same, but im sort of happy that the spirit of AIC will still live on in a way. I'm still a bit worried that William isnt up to the mark, but after hearing Jerrys solo albums, im sure there will be some great songs on its way.

When I listened to some live shows on youtube with William as frontman I was shocked at how bad he sounded... but I must say he seems to have improved since then when I listned to him live in Australia. I have also listened to his band... coming with the fall, and I think his vocals sound good on there - whether you actually like the music or not.

All we can do is wait and see.... I know im excited for the new album!

RIP Layne!
90s_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
kyleargyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 120
Default

What's William Duvall from? Or is he from anything?

I got a bad feeling about this...
kyleargyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,922
Default

I heard the new AiC line up at a festival in 2006. I wont be getting into comparing him to Layne because even though I do like Alice in Chains I was never THAT big a fan but I enjoyed them. I thought the new singer did a good job.
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: classified
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90s_Boy View Post
I have to say I haven't really read through this post... but am replying regarding the new singer.

I am a huge fan of Alice in Chains... and love Layne's Vocals and Jerrys Guitar work.

I would love to hear more songs from the band but am sure it will not be the same without Layne, but im still excited about the new album.

I actually watched AIC Live in Australia last month and William Duvall did a great job of the old AIC songs. You can't compare him to Layne and his vocals are different and will never be as good as Laynes. Unfortunetly Layne has died and AIC will never be the same, but im sort of happy that the spirit of AIC will still live on in a way. I'm still a bit worried that William isnt up to the mark, but after hearing Jerrys solo albums, im sure there will be some great songs on its way.

When I listened to some live shows on youtube with William as frontman I was shocked at how bad he sounded... but I must say he seems to have improved since then when I listned to him live in Australia. I have also listened to his band... coming with the fall, and I think his vocals sound good on there - whether you actually like the music or not.

All we can do is wait and see.... I know im excited for the new album!

RIP Layne!
Yeah I agree with you. And as for "relevance", Alice In Chains with Layne Staley put out great music and I will keep listening to it because it is good. Good music is good music no matter how old or forgotten. Just because a few people on here don't like Alice In Chains, that doesn't make the band irrelevant. Maybe for them, but not everyone.

As for William Duvall, I don't think you could entirely call the band with him Alice In Chains. The Layne Staley Jerry Cantrell combo WAS Alice In Chains. Layne Staley's unique vocals + Jerry Cantrell's guitar genius and knack for song writing is what made them so great and different. I wouldn't mind going to see Duvall but i wouldn't say I went and saw an Alice in Chains concert, I would say I saw Jerry Cantrell and William Duvall's band perform some AIC songs.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
The War on Errorism
 
Grunge_Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: tucson
Posts: 285
Default

William DuVall is so bad. they should have never gotten a new singer.
rip layne
Grunge_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.