Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
What's the point of music if it doesn't entertain?
It can inform, impress, disgust, intrigue and outrage me. It can compliment my mood or darken it exactly the same as a film can.
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Forever young
 
4ZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
It can inform, impress, disgust, intrigue and outrage me. It can compliment my mood or darken it exactly the same as a film can.

Thats what entertains me.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Slim View Post
Should musicians be 'artists', or 'entertainers'?
why does it matter?

really though, i don't get it. it's a never ending debate by fans who (generally) have little to no actual personal knowledge about the musicians in question; basing their views on what they've gathered from 3rd party sources or public performances (whether it's a concert or an interview). yet the issue persists, the debate rages on, year after year first in the back corners of bars and now from forum to forum.

i'm far FAR more curious to know why music fans think this is a contentious issue.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
daddy don't
 
Molecules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the Wastes
Posts: 2,576
Default

it's a test surely? If you say 'entertainer' you're shallow and common, if you say 'artist' you're open minded and curious about the possibilities of self-expression
__________________

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Automatic Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
why does it matter?

really though, i don't get it. it's a never ending debate by fans who (generally) have little to no actual personal knowledge about the musicians in question; basing their views on what they've gathered from 3rd party sources or public performances (whether it's a concert or an interview). yet the issue persists, the debate rages on, year after year first in the back corners of bars and now from forum to forum.

i'm far FAR more curious to know why music fans think this is a contentious issue.
That's exactly it. I don't really think it matters. But, as you said, it seems to matter to many people.

The reason I presented the question in this way (entertainers vs artists) is because I wanted to get at the issue of people slamming bands because they 'sell out'. (To answer another post, the reason I presented it in the rock and metal forum is because it appears more common in the rock and metal communities.) I see a logical inconsistency in that argument.

The argument: 'A band sells out when they become mainstream.' , appears to be based on the premise that the band should not care what listeners think. What would be the reason for that idea? Is the goal to have as few people as possible appreciate their work? Surely not.

I would think that the idea (erroneous, I believe) is that the pursuit of 'art' is the important thing, and the artist should not sully himself with such mundane considerations as fame and fortune.

I was hoping that people would say 'both', though I was curious to see if anyone would actually support the idea the audience does not matter.
__________________
"I say I can't but I really mean I won't."
Automatic Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Automatic Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
it's a test surely? If you say 'entertainer' you're shallow and common, if you say 'artist' you're open minded and curious about the possibilities of self-expression
Actually, I come down more on the side of musicians who consider themselves primarily 'entertainers'. There is little honor in being a 'starving artist'.

I'm also coming at this issue from the standpoint of a graphic artist (who finally got a real job) who has debated similar topics with artists who think that 'art' is all-important, and think 'the public be damned'.
__________________
"I say I can't but I really mean I won't."
Automatic Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
daddy don't
 
Molecules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the Wastes
Posts: 2,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Slim View Post
Actually, I come down more on the side of musicians who consider themselves primarily 'entertainers'. There is little honor in being a 'starving artist'.

I'm also coming at this issue from the standpoint of a graphic artist (who finally got a real job) who has debated similar topics with artists who think that 'art' is all-important, and think 'the public be damned'.
i'll bang on about artistic integrity all night but f*ck me if i'd ever try and make a living off of it. At the end of the day be it art or entertainment it still has to go through the same system, 'it' is a product in demand and supply needs to be met. And the artists you talk to sound like c*nts, art should be for everybody, and if 'everybody' is too dense (through years of morning radio and tv propaganda) to interpret somebody else's art then that's a few less jumped-up armchair critics in the world.
__________________

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
It can inform, impress, disgust, intrigue and outrage me. It can compliment my mood or darken it exactly the same as a film can.
Yes, but in doing so, it will most likely entertain you.

I guess what I'm getting at is all musicians are entertainers, but some, such as emo or post-rock bands focus more on quality music and less on "what's in it for them".
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Automatic Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
At the end of the day be it art or entertainment it still has to go through the same system, 'it' is a product in demand and supply needs to be met.
I completely agree with that statement.
__________________
"I say I can't but I really mean I won't."
Automatic Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Untalented Drummer
 
scottsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,900
Default

I think it all comes down to what you are looking for in your music - hey, if you're out for a catchy little thrill ride of happiness and bliss, then it is completely fine to play your happy pop albums and be absolutely enraptured by them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that...


But if what entertains you is song structure, challenge, a bit of complexity, be it lyrical or musical, then that's your poison as far as music is concerned, and that's great.


So I guess my answer to the main question of this board would be that yeah, both being an entertainer and an artist is equally relevant... it just depends on what form of entertainment you choose as to what art you consume...
__________________
"If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately" - Shaun Micallef.
scottsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.