Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Does John Peel deserve to make the Hall of Fame?
Yes 11 91.67%
No 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #1391 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

*yawns*

Double X is offline  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #1392 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

No thank you; it's not that I don't like it...okay it is that I don't like it.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #1393 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Default

I'm new to this forum, so I can't officially nominate anyone. But, Hell, there are so many good artists that have not been nominated. And even Chuck Berry who was nominated didn't get in. WOWEEE! John Lennon, who might have a made a contribution or two to music as we know it, once equated rock'n'roll with the man himself. Succinctly put, CHUCK BERRY=Rock & Roll. I also don't listen to Berry because he's influential. l listen to him because he had a knack for writing, playing guitar on, and singing some realy great songs. If you don't like Johnny B Goode, I can't help you?


Other artists who might be worthy of induction: Bruce Springsteen, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, and Marvin ***e. But none of these artists (except for maybe Bruce) seem to fit in with the kind of artists that have been nominated so far.
packers56789 is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #1394 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers56789 View Post
I'm new to this forum, so I can't officially nominate anyone.
Kudos, you are like the first new person who actually understands the thread.
Double X is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #1395 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

I gotta go with Urban on this one, he's influenced a lot of great talents. Zappa, Henry Cow, Can, Tom Waits, The Residents, Public Image Ltd, Wire, Sonic Youth, White Stripes, Primus, dEUS, PJ Harvey. But generally there's not really much out there influenced by Beefheart that I don't actually prefer to Beefheart.

Trout Mask Replica is kickass and all, but I don't know about it being a stroke of genius. You could find any group of bluesmen, get them drunk out of their asses and they would probably produce something of a similar result. What I'm basically saying is I don't think simply deconstructing something (in this case, the blues) is genius in itself, I was never a big fan of the Dada movement.

I still haven't voted yet, really undecided on this one. He simply influenced a lot of artists I like and he's put out some stuff I like but a lot of stuff I generally don't care for. So I don't know if he deserves my vote or not, if I were to vote for everyone I just plain "like" I would be voting for everyone.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #1396 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers56789 View Post
I'm new to this forum, so I can't officially nominate anyone. But, Hell, there are so many good artists that have not been nominated. And even Chuck Berry who was nominated didn't get in. WOWEEE! John Lennon, who might have a made a contribution or two to music as we know it, once equated rock'n'roll with the man himself. Succinctly put, CHUCK BERRY=Rock & Roll. I also don't listen to Berry because he's influential. l listen to him because he had a knack for writing, playing guitar on, and singing some realy great songs. If you don't like Johnny B Goode, I can't help you?


Other artists who might be worthy of induction: Bruce Springsteen, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, and Marvin ***e. But none of these artists (except for maybe Bruce) seem to fit in with the kind of artists that have been nominated so far.
This is an ongoing project and is meant to represent the tastes of the community here. A lot of the artists you meet are respected and enjoyed here and just have not been nominated yet or they have not been put up for vote if they have. Stick around long enough and feel encouraged to lead the charge for on of those you consider worthy of induction.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #1397 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

IMO the best thing Beefheart ever did was sing on Willie the Pimp.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #1398 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I'm sure some people dig his stuff, and I respect that, but what he added to the musical landscape doesn't seem too valuable to me. I think he gets some respect for the circles he ran in, and the act he put out there, but again, its not HoF worthy to me.
I agree with this

I don't see much influence from him.

Most of the people I know who like him are big into indie and underground music and very few people otherwise have even heard of him.
S. Flavious Mercurius is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #1399 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Flavious Mercurius View Post
I don't see much influence from him.

Most of the people I know who like him are big into indie and underground music and very few people otherwise have even heard of him.
That doesn't make his work any less valid. Lots of my favourite bands take influence from him. Why would it matter if they came out on a small label and sold about 50 copies, or came out on a major label & sold millions ?

None of these issues affect the quality of the music and it would still be a favourite of mine regardless. The number of other people who own the same record just isn't a factor when I judge the quality of an album.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #1400 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I gotta go with Urban on this one, he's influenced a lot of great talents. Zappa, Henry Cow, Can, Tom Waits, The Residents, Public Image Ltd, Wire, Sonic Youth, White Stripes, Primus, dEUS, PJ Harvey. But generally there's not really much out there influenced by Beefheart that I don't actually prefer to Beefheart.

Trout Mask Replica is kickass and all, but I don't know about it being a stroke of genius. You could find any group of bluesmen, get them drunk out of their asses and they would probably produce something of a similar result. What I'm basically saying is I don't think simply deconstructing something (in this case, the blues) is genius in itself, I was never a big fan of the Dada movement.

I still haven't voted yet, really undecided on this one. He simply influenced a lot of artists I like and he's put out some stuff I like but a lot of stuff I generally don't care for. So I don't know if he deserves my vote or not, if I were to vote for everyone I just plain "like" I would be voting for everyone.
Beefheart made the Magic Band practice those songs for ten hours a day in prison-like conditions for a full eight months before they even tried to record them. the album itself is built off intricate polyrhythms and unusual scales (neither pentatonic or chromatic scales make an appearance on most tracks). i mean, you might not like TMR but it's pretty safe to say that you couldn't get a bunch of blues musicians drunk and expect the same results.

that being said i don't know if i would call it a masterpiece myself. there are other Beefheart works i prefer more, but none that eclipse it in its insanity, that's for sure.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.