Racism/Sexism/ect in Music - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Doesn't matter. I want nothing to do with them.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
Doesn't matter. I want nothing to do with them.
That's too bad. From what I can tell the accusations you're talking about stem from misquoting and out-of-context comments, and none of it has to do with Chuck D.

Edit: It's also worth noting that Chuck D has spoken out in favor of gay marriage.
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Misquoting?

Quote:
If you're gonna tell a story about people's worries
Watch what you tell 'em cause they don't bring you glory
It only brings agony, ask James Cagney
He beat up on a guy when he found he was a ***ney
Cagney is a favorite he is my boy
He don't jive around he's a real McCoy
I mean, if I'm misinterpreting this, maybe you could shed some light on it.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
Misquoting?



I mean, if I'm misinterpreting this, maybe you could shed some light on it.
I would say that falls in "out of context" category. I don't know what the point of those lines were, but I do know that Chuck D has come out in support of gay marriage.
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
Why should I listen to them in spite of their homophobic attitudes and lyrics?
If you like their music then why not listen to PE for the same reason you don't mind listening to Janet Jackson who endorses a political idea that challenges your personal moral compass?

Do you like Public Enemy's music as much as you like Janet Jackson's? If the answer is 'yes' then you got some splainin to do.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
If you like their music then why not listen to PE for the same reason you don't mind listening to Janet Jackson who endorses a political idea that challenges your personal moral compass?

Do you like Public Enemy's music as much as you like Janet Jackson's? If the answer is 'yes' then you got some splainin to do.
Good question. I would say that Janet Jackson wearing a fur coat doesn't affect me or personally offend me. Nor does Janet have songs with lyrics like "Let's go club some seals" or anything like that.

Given how difficult it has been for gay people, I don't really enjoy listening to music that I find to be personally offensive. I mean, I got enough homophobia growing up and I still have to face it now. Music is a great way for me to escape from all that kind of crap. I don't really want it in the one place I find a respit from it. Seems... counterproductive.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
Good question. I would say that Janet Jackson wearing a fur coat doesn't affect me or personally offend me. Nor does Janet have songs with lyrics like "Let's go club some seals" or anything like that.

Given how difficult it has been for gay people, I don't really enjoy listening to music that I find to be personally offensive. I mean, I got enough homophobia growing up and I still have to face it now. Music is a great way for me to escape from all that kind of crap. I don't really want it in the one place I find a respit from it. Seems... counterproductive.
This all makes sense of course. Certain words do bring up negative feelings in some people and I can understand why.

Still, you didn't answer the main question which is: do you even like Public Enemy's music? If you do then this conversation is totally different than one in which you don't even really care for the sounds of Public Enemy's music.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
Good question. I would say that Janet Jackson wearing a fur coat doesn't affect me or personally offend me. Nor does Janet have songs with lyrics like "Let's go club some seals" or anything like that.

Given how difficult it has been for gay people, I don't really enjoy listening to music that I find to be personally offensive. I mean, I got enough homophobia growing up and I still have to face it now. Music is a great way for me to escape from all that kind of crap. I don't really want it in the one place I find a respit from it. Seems... counterproductive.
To be honest it sounds like you've decided Public Enemy is offensive without actually listening to them.
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Believe what you wish. :P I don't think it's that big of deal, really. I just don't like 'em. I don't lose sleep over it.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
This all makes sense of course. Certain words do bring up negative feelings in some people and I can understand why.

Still, you didn't answer the main question which is: do you even like Public Enemy's music? If you do then this conversation is totally different than one in which you don't even really care for the sounds of Public Enemy's music.
I'm not sure how you mean. Do I like the genre? Or their music outside of what I perceive to be homophobic content?
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.