Racism/Sexism/ect in Music - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
hip hop bunny hop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,381
Default

Seriously? Just listening to people whom you know to have different opinions bugs you that much?
__________________
Have mercy on the poor.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

No. There's a difference between differing views and singing about said different views.

I don't listen to Public Enemy for the same reason I don't listen to Prussian Blue or Elephant Man. Why would I, as a practicing homosexual, want to listen to an artist who legitimately thinks I should be killed?

Your logic makes no sense.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
No. There's a difference between differing views and singing about said different views.

I don't listen to Public Enemy for the same reason I don't listen to Prussian Blue.
Public Enemy are white supremacists who make unbearably boring music?
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Exactly.

--

But in all seriousness, I just can't support or enjoy music that's personally attacking me or sending across a message that I believe is 100% WRONG. Public Enemy fall under that category for homophobic lyrics and public statements. And if you cannot comprehend that, you head needs adjusting.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”

Last edited by Duraddict; 07-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
hip hop bunny hop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
No. There's a difference between differing views and singing about said different views.

I don't listen to Public Enemy for the same reason I don't listen to Prussian Blue or Elephant Man. Why would I, as a practicing homosexual, want to listen to an artist who legitimately thinks I should be killed?

Your logic makes no sense.
So, what if a group makes statements you disagree with but doesnt put such messages in the music?

You seemed to hint that this would be unacceptable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
But in all seriousness, I just can't support or enjoy music that's personally attacking me or sending across a message that I believe is 100% WRONG. Public Enemy fall under that category for homophobic lyrics and public statements. And if you cannot comprehend that, you head needs adjusting.
__________________
Have mercy on the poor.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Still sends his reguards.
 
bob.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trying to get out of the cat town....
Posts: 5,039
Default

does anybody really listen to Prussian Blue?.....i think even white supremacists find them to be a joke and annoying
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
So, what if a group makes statements you disagree with but doesnt put such messages in the music?

You seemed to hint that this would be unacceptable:
Depends on the statement. Janet Jackson endorsed fur, which I disagree with, but I still listen to her music regularly.

But if, say, Torquil Campbell were to come out saying he hates gay people and wants them to be shot, I would erase him from my music library. Public Enemy made it very clear how they feel. I don't think they necessarily want me as a listener anyway.

We're very influenced by the music we listen to, and it really says a lot about the people we are. And I don't want any messages in the stuff I listen to that I don't agree with. I don't really see the point in trying to choke down a Public Enemy album.

Convince me of otherwise. Why should I listen to them in spite of their homophobic attitudes and lyrics?
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
Convince me of otherwise. Why should I listen to them in spite of their homophobic attitudes and lyrics?
How about because they don't actually have homophobic lyrics? Listen to It Takes a Nation of Millions..., their breakthrough album, and see if you can find any homophobic lyrics. As far as I know there aren't any.
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Duraddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 322
Default

"'It only brings agony, ask James Cagney / He beat up on a guy when he found he was a f*gney / Cagney is a favorite he is my boy"

They, after doing some research, seem to have far more anti-semitic content. Lovely.
__________________
Quote:
“0h my g0d muzic sux n0w but im really c00l becuz i listenn to the beatlezzzz rip g00d muzic”
Duraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
"'It only brings agony, ask James Cagney / He beat up on a guy when he found he was a f*gney / Cagney is a favorite he is my boy"
^Which is not from the album I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraddict View Post
They, after doing some research, seem to have far more anti-semitic content. Lovely.
Also not on the album I am referring to.
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.