Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Prince (1999, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Dirty Mind) 43 49.43%
Michael Jackson (Off The Wall,Thriller,Bad) 44 50.57%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #81 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

realtalk how can u say he wasnt weird and then bring up all the many things he went thru in his life that none of us did lol.... it feels like a counter argument to me.


weird or unique.... same thing with different spins on the words to fit into whatever narrative u want. if jacko wasn't 'weird' to you id like to know what qualifies as weird then. he personified that word.


not that it really matters but just wonderin
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #82 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

But the connotation of weird is not being used here in a positive way and weird is not the same as unique.

There is nothing wrong with being different from the ordinary. Our society labels people who dares to be different as weird, strange and eccentric and it needs to stop.

The fact of the matter is not one person is EXACTLY the same. We may go through similar experiences but we all are uniquely created. We all look at life differently.

Most people choose to act like everyone else in fear of being judged because there are consequences for being an individual.

Just because he was different from YOU does not mean he was "weird".

Its a very judgmental term. We all define normal differently.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #83 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Prince, because he was actually a musician. Both were great vocalists (I'd give the edge to Jacko), both were great songwriters (I'd give the edge to Prince), but MJ never played an instrument, unless you count the skin flute as an instrument. LOL just kidding, too soon?

In all seriousness, MJ is a great music artist, and to be totally honest I'm not 100% that Jackson did what he was accused of. He's obviously a very weird guy, but I think that's why he's such an easy target, and why so many people buy into it. Maybe he did molest kids, but no one will probably ever know for sure other than Michael Jackson and the alleged victims.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #84 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Michael played the piano, drums and the acoustic guitar just to name a few and just because someone is a musician doesn't necessarily make them better...
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #85 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Michael played the piano, drums and the acoustic guitar just to name a few and just because someone is a musician doesn't necessarily make them better...
Right, and just because someone played piano a few times, it doesn't mean they're a good musician.

Not that I was actually saying that Prince was only better because he's a musician, I just think his music is on the overall better. I think being a better musician is part of what makes him better, and like I said, I think he's a better songwriter as well. I think Jacko wrote some good songs, but none of them were as good as "Purple Rain" or "Let's Go Crazy".
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #86 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Right, and just because someone played piano a few times, it doesn't mean they're a good musician.

Not that I was actually saying that Prince was only better because he's a musician, I just think his music is on the overall better. I think being a better musician is part of what makes him better, and like I said, I think he's a better songwriter as well. I think Jacko wrote some good songs, but none of them were as good as "Purple Rain" or "Let's Go Crazy".
That is very true but I just wanted to point out that he did play instruments since you said he did not.

And he did not play the piano just a few times. He came up with some of his songs by playing instruments to come up with song lyrics and composition. He also used his mouth and beat box to come up with song compositions as well which is something I think is more creative than just playing mulitiple instruments but that's my opinion.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #87 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I think I will stay on the "not weird" island as you say because unlike you I don't succumb to the "group think" mentality and I also don't label people that I don't know personally.


He was weird to YOU because you define normal differently and your expectations is that he should be "normal" based off how YOU define normal and the reality is EVERYONE does not live their life based on how YOU define normal


You wasn't a child star at 5, grew up in the spotlight, never had a childhood, or had an abusive father. You do not have a right to label someone as weird when you have not experienced any of those things and especially if you do not know the person personally.

Its ignorant and judgmental just like our society.
That's hilarious. By your logic, it is impossible for anyone to be weird. Ever.

Gotcha.
tmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #88 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Well, it's pretty well established by this point that you're a Mike apologist, and that's fine, but you clearly have not watched many prince concerts. You can be an amazing dancer without choreographing "routines" or having background dancers dancing in sync with you. James Brown is a perfect example (ever see him dance?). Mike was definitely all about the routine and he was the best at that, hands down.

Prince was an amazing dancer in his prime, but his focus was on the music and the show as a whole, with a cast of other characters. Mike was all about Mike, which is fine. To each their own.



Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I LOVEEE Prince but I have to disagree with this.

Prince was not a natural dancer. He mostly did splits and his performances were sexually charged. I am not knocking him but I wouldn't call that "dancing"

Michael did intricate footwork, intricate choreography, came up with iconic dance moves and did different styles of dance.. i.e. tap, jazz, hip hop etc.

He is the best pop male dancer of all time. The man had NO FORMAL training. Ive never seen a dancer move the way he did.

Prince does not compete with him on the dance floor and Michael was a MUCH better singer than Prince... I like Prince singing but just saying.

Dont get me wrong, Prince is a GREAT performer but if we are just talking about dancing skills... he is not even in the same conversation as MJ in reference to that
tmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #89 (permalink)
blasphemous krucifixxxion
 
Crowquill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: seattle
Posts: 133
Default

This is an easy victory for Prince in my opinion. His best makes Michael Jackson's best kind of embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
That is very true but I just wanted to point out that he did play instruments since you said he did not.

And he did not play the piano just a few times. He came up with some of his songs by playing instruments to come up with song lyrics and composition. He also used his mouth and beat box to come up with song compositions as well which is something I think is more creative than just playing mulitiple instruments but that's my opinion.
Seriously? You really think beat-boxing with your mouth requires more creativity than being a multi-instrumentalist?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal_son View Post
Yes. I believe that the older acts should be given a slot at the Superbowl Halftime show. It is blasphemy..where is the love for the reunion of Creed, and Nickelback is about to have their 12th anniversary of 'Silver Side Up'

#veteransdeserverespect
Crowquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #90 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Default

And just to be clear...I am NOT claiming Prince is a better dancer than Mike, just that the supposed gulf between them is not really there. It was always more of a focus for Mike, and where he spent the majority of his focus for his career and stage shows.
tmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.