Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 64
Default older music =/= better music

Ok before i begin I would like to say, even though I don't like a lot of older music I respect them. I know rock music would be nowhere without the beatles and metal would be no where without iron maiden and metallica, and chances are music wouldn't even be a profitable industry without big band music in the early 1900's (remember, in the olden day musicians were poor, not rich.) I respect ALL musicians for their music (yes even nicki minaj) as much as i don't like them. It's just the way i am.
This all being said, we seem to have a misconception that old music = better music. I would like to point out that this is not true. In this day and age whenever I compare an old school rock band like the beatles with a newschool rock band like rise against, i notice something. Compared to todays rock music old rock music is kind of generic and boring. This is definately had something to do with the fact that there wasn't much to build on at the time and the genre was just dipping it's feet in the water. and yes i admit creating a genre takes an insurmountable amount of still and talent. However, in my opinion as the generations go by every genre get's built on more and more and is getting better and better. With every new generation of musicians we get new and even more creative ideas being used in music, and I find that whenever and old band comes out with a new album (like rush) it tends to try to follow sort of the "old" styles of music (as far as creativitie's concerned). But a newer prog band on the scene such as between the buried and me is fairly young and absolutely full of fresh ideas.
Before i go, again i would like to say i respect all musicians (even ones that are considered top 40 **** or are generally considered *******s). It isn't easy to do what they do no matter who they are or what genre they preform. (hell nicki minaj and lil whayne even, they work hard. Do you think going out and preforming every night is easy. or having to stay up late in the studio reccording.) And i respect what bands like rush, the beatles and acdc have done for the industry. I guess the whole point of this is, keep an open mind when it comes to new bands on the scene, you just might find a new favorite.
zman419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee
 
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,031
Default

This is almost the same topic as this one here. And undoubtedly many other threads, too.
__________________
Stop and find a pretty shell for her
Beach Boys vs Beatles comparisons begin here
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
don't be no bojangles
 
blackdragon123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 488
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman419 View Post
This is definately had something to do with the fact that there wasn't much to build on at the time and the genre was just dipping it's feet in the water. and yes i admit creating a genre takes an insurmountable amount of still and talent. However, in my opinion as the generations go by every genre get's built on more and more and is getting better and better. With every new generation of musicians we get new and even more creative ideas being used in music, .
Gonna have to take issue with these bold statements. You seem to contradict yourself somewhat. Claiming that in every new generation, the old genres get built upon and we get new and "even more creative" ideas being used...but surely it's more creative to CREATE a new genre like heavy metal or prog rock or punk...wandering into unknown territory and pioneering brand new sounds than building on old ones that have existed for decades? bringing little to the table in terms of CREATIVITY and being too afraid to wander off the beaten track?
__________________
'Well, I'm a common working man,
With a half of bitter, bread and jam,
And if it pleases me, I'll put one on ya man,
When the copper fades away!'
- Jethro Tull
blackdragon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon123 View Post
Gonna have to take issue with these bold statements. You seem to contradict yourself somewhat. Claiming that in every new generation, the old genres get built upon and we get new and "even more creative" ideas being used...but surely it's more creative to CREATE a new genre like heavy metal or prog rock or punk...wandering into unknown territory and pioneering brand new sounds than building on old ones that have existed for decades? bringing little to the table in terms of CREATIVITY and being too afraid to wander off the beaten track?
ok fine fine fine. you win this round.
however the point is a lot of older music i find to be a bit boring or bland. For example, i can't really stand the beatles or jimi hendrix. It's honestly sounds really dated, basic and generic by todays standard.
it seems like a lot of people are closed minded when it comes to new music and if your favorite band was formed in the past 15 years or so you're usually called some sort of variation of scene ***got.
Hell if i were to make i list of my top 10 favorite artists, dream theater would be the only band formed before 1990 to make the list.
zman419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon123 View Post
Gonna have to take issue with these bold statements. You seem to contradict yourself somewhat. Claiming that in every new generation, the old genres get built upon and we get new and "even more creative" ideas being used...but surely it's more creative to CREATE a new genre like heavy metal or prog rock or punk...wandering into unknown territory and pioneering brand new sounds than building on old ones that have existed for decades? bringing little to the table in terms of CREATIVITY and being too afraid to wander off the beaten track?
All of the genres you just mentioned were themselves built upon older sounds, it's not as if they popped into existence fully formed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,603
Default

Old music is dated? :O
__________________
https://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Hmm, what's this in my pocket?

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
Old music is dated? :O
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
don't be no bojangles
 
blackdragon123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 488
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
All of the genres you just mentioned were themselves built upon older sounds, it's not as if they popped into existence fully formed.
I never said they popped into existence fully formed
__________________
'Well, I'm a common working man,
With a half of bitter, bread and jam,
And if it pleases me, I'll put one on ya man,
When the copper fades away!'
- Jethro Tull
blackdragon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.