Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I think if it sold that many it was down to it being released just a couple of weeks before Christmas rather than anything else.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
That doesn't answer my question. You mentioned that the album sold 600,000 copies in 3 days. I asked how many copies would it have sold had it been marketed the conventional way, looking for an amount.

How can it be proven to work if you can't compare the statistics?

Because there is no statistics to compare only an assumption.


If you want me to give you an assumption estimate, I don't think it would have sold more than 100,000 copies in its first week because her last album did not and was a commercial failure which is why her label came up with the online marketing gimmick.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

So first you said it was proven
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Yes it has. It has been proven more than once.
Now you say it's an assumption
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Because there is no statistics to compare only an assumption.


If you want me to give you an assumption estimate, I don't think it would have sold more than 100,000 copies in its first week because her last album did not and was a commercial failure which is why her label came up with the online marketing gimmick.
Which is it?
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
So first you said it was proven


Now you say it's an assumption

Which is it?

lol I am actually confused about the question your asking.



You ask me to give an estimate number of copies sold if she had released it the regular way without that specific marketing tactic.

I can not give a accurate exact number because I just don't know because it was not released that way, so no one will never know.

However I can only give a good assumption based on her last previous album first week sales.

And based on her previous album first week sales, I don't think it would have sold over 100,000 copies its first week let alone 3 days if she had marketed her album the conventional way.


What question are you trying to ask? I am lost.

Last edited by Soulflower; 04-01-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
lol I am actually confused about the question your asking.



You ask me to give an estimate number of copies sold if she had released it the regular way without that specific marketing tactic.

I can not give a accurate exact number because I just don't know because it was not released that way, so no one will never know.

However I can only give a good assumption based on her last previous album first week sales.

And based on her previous album first week sales, I don't think it would have sold over 100,000 copies its first week let alone 3 days if she had marketed her album the conventional way.


What question are you trying to ask? I am lost.
You claimed that releasing an album without telling anyone is a proven marketing tactic.
I was not convinced and then asked you to provide evidence in the form of album sales had she marketed and released the album in the conventional way, so as to compare against the actual album sales and therefore confirm that the marketing tactic actually works. This is the only way it can be proven.
No such evidence can exist, as you have even acknowledged yourself, and you now only presume that it works.

If no proof exists that it does work, then releasing an album without telling anyone is not a proven marketing tactic.

Hope that clears it up.
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
You claimed that releasing an album without telling anyone is a proven marketing tactic.
I never said this was a proven marketing tactic for ALL artists. I specifically referring to popular artists when I said this marketing tactic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I was not convinced and then asked you to provide evidence in the form of album sales had she marketed and released the album in the conventional way,so as to compare against the actual album sales and therefore confirm that the marketing tactic actually works.

I don't see why you are not convinced when I told you her previous album in 2011 first week sales were not good.

Since she did not release her 2013 album the same conventional way, I can only go by the sales of her last previous album that was released the "conventional way" which had poor first week sales compared to her releasing her 2013 album that she released online and did not tell anyone. She sold 600,000 copies in 3 days releasing her album the non conventional way.

So I am not sure why you are not convinced it works.

It obviously worked.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
This is the only way it can be proven.
No such evidence can exist, as you have even acknowledged yourself, and you now only presume that it works.

If no proof exists that it does work, then releasing an album without telling anyone is not a proven marketing tactic.

Hope that clears it up.
But there is proof lol

I said I could not give you an EXACT number of copies sold if she released her 2013 album the conventional way because you wanted to compare statistics.

I don't see why you would need to know that when you can easily go by her previous albums sells. NONE of her past albums have sold 600,000 copies in 3 days besides this last one
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
silky smooth
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I don't see why you are not convinced when I told you her previous album in 2011 first week sales were not good.
Wow this argument is very sound and your logic is impenetrable.

Except wait. "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac has sold 45 million copies and was released in 1977, but their just a few years prior they released an album that didn't even sell 1 million!

Whoa.

Is all I can say. New developments. Wow. It's almost as if prior album sales are not concrete proof of how later albums will do!
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Think about how life sucks -> Vent about it on MusicBanter -> Make no progress towards improving life because limited free time is wasted on MusicBanter -> Think about how life sucks

Last edited by YorkeDaddy; 04-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Wow this argument is very sound and your logic is impenetrable.

Except wait. "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac has sold 45 million copies and was released in 1977, but their self-titled album just two years prior never even sold 1 million!

Whoa.

Is all I can say. New developments. Wow. It's almost as if prior album sales are not concrete proof of how later albums will do!
Different situation.


Beyonce's camp leaked two of her songs over the summer to test the strength of those potential singles and they received negative feedback. Her camp knew that album would do poorly the conventional way
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I don't see why you are not convinced when I told you her previous album in 2011 first week sales were not good.

Since she did not release her 2013 album the same conventional way, I can only go by the sales of her last previous album that was released the "conventional way" which had poor first week sales compared to her releasing her 2013 album that she released online and did not tell anyone. She sold 600,000 copies in 3 days releasing her album the non conventional way.

So I am not sure why you are not convinced it works.

It obviously worked.

But there is proof lol

I said I could not give you an EXACT number of copies sold if she released her 2013 album the conventional way because you wanted to compare statistics.

I don't see why you would need to know that when you can easily go by her previous albums sells. NONE of her past albums have sold 600,000 copies in 3 days besides this last one
How is going by sales of her previous albums evidence of anything? Her previous album sales within the first 3 days of their release could depend on a multitude of different factors, none of which are definite. These could include time of the year (i.e. close to Christmas or during the summer), gap between album releases, impact of lead single from album etc. I'm not saying for definite that it doesn't work, I'm just saying that there can't be any definite proof that it does.
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
How is going by sales of her previous albums evidence of anything?

Because it shows the impact of the marketing gimmick for her fifth album. It shows that the marketing gimmick gave her more success in sells compared to her previous albums.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Her previous album sales within the first 3 days of their release could depend on a multitude of different factors, none of which are definite.

I am still kinda confuse on the point that you are trying to make.

We are comparing the conventional way of marketing an album compared to the new way she did it for her fifth album. I think it is valid to compare her sales within 3 days because she stilled used a marketing gimmick.

I am just comparing the impact of the two different marketing gimmicks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
These could include time of the year (i.e. close to Christmas or during the summer), gap between album releases, impact of lead single from album etc. I'm not saying for definite that it doesn't work, I'm just saying that there can't be any definite proof that it does.
But all those things factor into marketing.

The timing she released it was a "marketing tactic"

The fact that she waited to release her album after everyone released theres was a "marketing tactic"
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.