Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: well?
Johnny Winter 44 49.44%
SRV 45 50.56%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
If you're criticizing them respectively, I don't think you can call SRV just another "generic blues rocker."
True. He was THE generic blues rocker.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
True. He was THE generic blues rocker.

I can't stand Ac/DC but Angus Young was the consummate generic Blue-Rock Rocker, he didn't play out of the blues scale box, but I'm not knocking him, Angus Young was a pretty at what he does being a generic Blues-Rock Rocker.

I think there's a difference, just like there is a difference between medium and medium-rare with steak there is a difference a generic blues Rocker and the caliber of guitar player such as Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stevie Ray Vaughn was more truer to the blues then the guitarist of the 70's, like say Jimmy Page who used the blues scale as a jumping off point into hard Rock riffs.

If one knew about the Blues one would know Stevie Ray Vaughn style is was heavily influnce by Buddy Guy.

Please don't tell me that Buddy Guy is a generic blues...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς

Last edited by Neapolitan; 09-19-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 125
Default

SRV and Johnny Winter are both Texas Blues players. There is a certain sound they both have, but both have drawn upon classic blues (Mississippi Delta and Chicago blues) for the songs they have done. Johnny Winter has leaned more towards Delta stuff, and SRV more Chicago or the urban style. Winter has been around longer (he's older) and while not in great health, he still plays. Saw him a few times back in the 70's, awesome
player. White Hot and Blue and Still Alive And Well are a few of may favorite albums.
Classof75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: high wycombe
Posts: 25
Default

johnny winter is a brill guitarist but stevie ray vaughan is the best with jimi hendrix as a close second because they both copy each others guitar riffs and do the same tricks if I had to choose between jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan stevie would be my number one choice
dancooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancooke View Post
johnny winter is a brill guitarist but stevie ray vaughan is the best with jimi hendrix as a close second because they both copy each others guitar riffs and do the same tricks if I had to choose between jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan stevie would be my number one choice
Hendrix died before Stevie Ray became famous..... they obviously didn't copy each others guitar riffs, Stevie Ray copied Jimi.
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
young gun funyun
 
Nicktarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern US
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
johnny winter is a brill guitarist but stevie ray vaughan is the best with jimi hendrix as a close second because they both copy each others guitar riffs and do the same tricks if I had to choose between jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan stevie would be my number one choice
Don't get me wrong, I love Jimi, but his greatest asset was his taste, not his skill. Jimi wasn't a genius. It also kinda scares me that you actually think Jimi and SRV are the greatest guitar players. If you had said favorite, I would've let it alone.
__________________
Quote:
It only takes one jerk to prove any hypothesis absolutely false. Like, have you ever heard the rumor that you can drop cash on the street in Tokyo and the people are so honest that someone will find it, pick it up, and take it to the cops? Well, that's absolutely 100% not true, because I once found a plain envelope on the ground with "6,000 yen" written on it. Inside was 6,000 yen. I put it in my pocket and kept walking.
Nicktarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I can't stand Ac/DC but Angus Young was the consummate generic Blue-Rock Rocker, he didn't play out of the blues scale box, but I'm not knocking him, Angus Young was a pretty at what he does being a generic Blues-Rock Rocker.

I think there's a difference, just like there is a difference between medium and medium-rare with steak there is a difference a generic blues Rocker and the caliber of guitar player such as Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stevie Ray Vaughn was more truer to the blues then the guitarist of the 70's, like say Jimmy Page who used the blues scale as a jumping off point into hard Rock riffs.

If one knew about the Blues one would know Stevie Ray Vaughn style is was heavily influnce by Buddy Guy.

Please don't tell me that Buddy Guy is a generic blues...
Buddy Guy is fairly generic blues but nothing like the generic quotient of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I have no idea what your point was with regards to AC/DC.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Aloz Eht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where everyone am find me!
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Buddy Guy is fairly generic blues but nothing like the generic quotient of Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Early on, Buddy was rarely generic (though it was obvious who his influences were). Buddy's first album outshines pretty much everything SRV ever did.

I'll take Winter. I've never cared for the stroking, overrated sounds of SRV.
Aloz Eht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Buddy Guy is fairly generic blues but nothing like the generic quotient of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I have no idea what your point was with regards to AC/DC.
imo Angus Young is a generic blues-rock guitarist not Stevie Ray Vaughn, Angus just used the blues scale and some power chords, but Stevie toured and hanged around the original Blues guitarist and gather vital esoteric Blues knowledge, and did cover songs of other guitar players like Jimi Hendrix & Lonnie Mack, that imo makes him a notch above just generic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
imo Angus Young is a generic blues-rock guitarist not Stevie Ray Vaughn, Angus just used the blues scale and some power chords, but Stevie toured and hanged around the original Blues guitarist and gather vital esoteric Blues knowledge, and did cover songs of other guitar players like Jimi Hendrix & Lonnie Mack, that imo makes him a notch above just generic.
Angus Young sounds like power pop compared to either SRV or Johnny Winter.
They were so much deeper into blues playing. In fact, I have never really thought of AC/DC as blues.
Classof75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.