Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Groupie
 
fgt_edd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: bathroom
Posts: 9
Default

people stay religious because when times get tough, they need someone/something they can rely on..its "his" will and we have no power over it, i guess it makes life easier to some religious people, knowing that theres something that can bend their life in a good way as well as bad..thats also why people tend to love and cherish god when life gets tough.. they "find" god then..

just my pov
__________________
fgt_edd is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

There are tons of reasons to remain religious. Way too many to summarize with a simple paragraph in a forum post. Your beliefs are tied up with your very identity, especially if they're beliefs passed down to you from your family at a young age. You have external reasons to remain religious and you have your own internal, personal reasons. And for every religious person, there' a multitude of reasons in each of those categories, from philosophical to social to psychological to whatever.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMVS7 View Post
Life is about finding your own path, empowerment, and strength in life and not giving a **** about what others think of you and any "selfish" beliefs you might have (and, of course, helping others only if you wish and not caring about what others think if you instead choose not to help others and instead focus on yourself). This is all your own brain and your own life and you make whatever you want to make of it--not what others think who have a negative opinion of any "selfish" views you might have and such.
Unfortunately for your argument, we're social beings and all our success at life is dependent on how we do socially. People who are alone are not happy. Thus, it does matter what others think.

We also have eyes and ears and perceive the world around us, so if people call us morons and treat us bad, that's kinda hard to ignore.

Way to argue against all common sense and experience ..
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
There are tons of reasons to remain religious. Way too many to summarize with a simple paragraph in a forum post. Your beliefs are tied up with your very identity, especially if they're beliefs passed down to you from your family at a young age. You have external reasons to remain religious and you have your own internal, personal reasons. And for every religious person, there' a multitude of reasons in each of those categories, from philosophical to social to psychological to whatever.
I feel like whenever that happens most people tend to shy away from religion as they grow older. Of course there are people that end up just going along with it too.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
HellCell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 268
Default

To comment on your wording. It's very fluffy. So I'm going to resummarize again for reference. Religious people have a false sense of entitlement (To a deity and afterlife) but believe firmly so from arrogance.
This is just a generalization that doesn't even sound like it applies to a small percentage of people.
HellCell is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMVS7 View Post
Life is about finding your own path, empowerment, and strength in life and not giving a **** about what others think of you and any "selfish" beliefs you might have (and, of course, helping others only if you wish and not caring about what others think if you instead choose not to help others and instead focus on yourself). This is all your own brain and your own life and you make whatever you want to make of it--not what others think who have a negative opinion of any "selfish" views you might have and such.
I've found that the people who harp on about not giving a **** about what anyone else thinks about them, especially those who specifically use the word "****" in the sentence, are generally people who might benefit from a little criticism. It's a very simplistic world view that suggests a certain amount of self-absorption that has no room for outside views.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellCell View Post
To comment on your wording. It's very fluffy. So I'm going to resummarize again for reference. Religious people have a false sense of entitlement (To a deity and afterlife) but believe firmly so from arrogance.
This is just a generalization that doesn't even sound like it applies to a small percentage of people.
This is a garbage statement. I am not point fingers at you Hellcell btw.

Some people noo matter what they believe are just arrogant pricks.

I don't think it applies to a large percent of people who are religious. They believe what they believe because it works for them. Why else would you do something if it didn't work for you. And what does it really matter what someone else believes, what I want to understand Matt is why the hell you are up in other folks kool -aid and don't know their particular flavor? You generalize and make broad statements and have no facts to back them up, and yet you come across just as arrogant if not more so then the people who knock on my door and bother me on a Tuesday afternoon because they feel like what they are doing is right. This is America, bro (at least I think you are in the USA, anyway I am American and I comment on the things that happen here.) You can believe what you want to, and it's beautiful thing. And nobody has the right to trash another person over what it is they believe in their heart of hearts. And if their religion is what gets them through the day and helps the to actually be a better person, by being kind to others etc then more power too them. You sound like someone that has a massive chip on their shoulder toward people who have something in their lives, no matter how inane , nonsensical, or improbable it is. If you were truly confidant about your choices in your life you wouldn't need to make thread after thread on this in hopes people will respond to your long winded craziness. You would use the religion thread. But to quote myself, "IMO I DON'T KNOW JACK **** SO DON'T LISTEN TO ME"....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Stardate 3012.4
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
We also have eyes and ears and perceive the world around us, so if people call us morons and treat us bad, that's kinda hard to ignore.

Way to argue against all common sense and experience ..
It all depends on the situation and also the disposition of the person being called a "moron." While it might be hard to ignore one can also reason away the insult to make it ineffective. There something juvenile and/or mean-spirited about someone calling another person "moron" or any other pejorative. The name-caller really isn't proving any thing through reasoning with an explanation to show that he has a better point of view on the matter. The name-caller is just hurling names to get an emotional response. The name-caller is trading reasoning for vindictiveness.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?
 
GuD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,216
Default

Matt, buddy...

You're kind of a dumbass dude.

Take it from a fellow dumbass, you're a dumbass. Quit actin like ya know it all, s'quite the opposite bro
__________________
I spit bullets in my feet
Every time I speak
So I write instead
And still people want me dead
~msc
GuD is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maelian
 
ladyislingering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMVS7 View Post
People who think they are special and such apply that perception to life itself and conclude that life itself must also be something special and meant for them. For example, someone who thinks "I am a very helpful and caring special person" might then conclude that this life must then be something special as well and offers a special "higher" reward for who they are as a person (a God and an afterlife). They are not willing to either accept that this is not the case and no longer complain about it, or they still insist on believing that there is a God and an afterlife anyway. I feel that the reason such people believe in such things anyway despite much scientific evidence is because they are just too much of a human being (someone great and special) to, again, possibly stoop so low as to believe or accept otherwise.
Sounds just like my mother, who became a "born again" Christian about 10 years ago. She's got problems like you wouldn't believe. Physically disabled to the point where she can't walk unassisted, just got diagnosed with spinal arthritis, had her gallbladder removed recently due to an aneurysm, struggling with anorexia (like daughter like mother) and she's getting a little senile but OH JESUS. JESUS CHRIST IS HER SAVIOR. HER LAWD. OH LAWDY LAWD IN HEAVEN JESUS WILL FIX US ALL.

I don't swear when I text/call my mother because she is so Christian. I live almost 2,000 miles away from her and I will absolutely not offend her like that because she will never let me hear the end of it. Her life is miserable as hell but apparently it's ALL GOOD because she's got JESUS CHRIST.

I just... I don't understand. Good on her for trying to cope with the fact that her life sucks but I can't help but feel like extreme Christianity is some sort of mental illness.
__________________
You and I,
We were born to die.
ladyislingering is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.