Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Mormonism comes with some weird religious/cult like baggage, so that's not an option.

I can understand the desire to cut down and find a way to live a simpler life. I've had the thought myself. Instead of a radical move like joinging a commune, I've just cut down on certain things in order to have a quieter, more grounded life. I don't ever watch TV at all. Don't have any channels. I don't really watch youtube videos much anymore. Most of my internet time is dedicated to music these days. And I try to spend more time reading books and comics (offline in paper form!), either in silence or with a CD on the stereo. My cellphone also has no internet connection, so I only use it for calls and a rare sms. I also rarely play video games these days.

I know it's not quite what you're talking about Batlord, but I have found that just getting rid of some mental chaff and distractions this way makes for a big difference. Whether it's connected or not, I don't know, but I'm also generally less angry, less depressed than I used to be.
I want to have nothing to do with rent, mortgages, equity, credit score, or anything having to do with living in a capitalist society. I just want to be able to justify my ability to live in a community by my desire to contribute to a collective who I feel are worth contributing to to the point that I want to contribute more than I feel like I have to because it will make all of our lives better and more enjoyable. I want my justification to live in a community be something that I don't feel the need to justify. I just do it because it feels good and makes my fellow inhabitants' lives better in a tangible way. I don't even know what that means but god damn it there must be someone who does who's not a ****ing cult leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Cometbus-48-B.../B0035ZQ4ACyou

Have you read this?

Cometbus #48: Back to the Land
I guess I should?
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Cometbus-48-B.../B0035ZQ4ACyou

Have you read this?

Cometbus #48: Back to the Land
Broken link btw.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ⱨł₲ⱧɆⱤ Vł฿Ɽ₳₮łØ₦₴
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4,626
Default

isnt this what you were asking me to join, in some thread, (i forgot which thread )
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You need to be more mindful of what you post.

Last edited by Mindfulness; 06-08-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,417
Default

I've thought if this was possible before. Some place where guys can just live off the land.

Would imagine it was possible in the US.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I want to have nothing to do with rent, mortgages, equity, credit score, or anything having to do with living in a capitalist society. I just want to be able to justify my ability to live in a community by my desire to contribute to a collective who I feel are worth contributing to to the point that I want to contribute more than I feel like I have to because it will make all of our lives better and more enjoyable. I want my justification to live in a community be something that I don't feel the need to justify. I just do it because it feels good and makes my fellow inhabitants' lives better in a tangible way. I don't even know what that means but god damn it there must be someone who does who's not a ****ing cult leader.
We definitely live in societies where you either have to be ignorant or to be aware of all the complexities and nasty things that go between the lines in a capitalist society. For example, I don't believe it's possible to live in a capitalist society and not have the blood of 3rd world country citizens on your hands. Plus every day you live is in service of the fat cats that get richer while everyone else get poorer. It's revolting, but also the only real option for most people. Moving out into some commune in the woods would be an escape, but wouldn't fix anything about the world at large.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
We definitely live in societies where you either have to be ignorant or to be aware of all the complexities and nasty things that go between the lines in a capitalist society. For example, I don't believe it's possible to live in a capitalist society and not have the blood of 3rd world country citizens on your hands. Plus every day you live is in service of the fat cats that get richer while everyone else get poorer. It's revolting, but also the only real option for most people. Moving out into some commune in the woods would be an escape, but wouldn't fix anything about the world at large.
I don't give a **** about fixing society. Society is going to do what the **** it is going to do. I'm vastly in the minority for feeling this way, or in the secret majority for contemplating legit living this way, and I'd be perfectly willing to let the rest of humanity do what the **** it wants to do while I live in a society completely on the outside. The rest of you can go **** yourselves tbh if you're too dumb to abandon a society that values nuclear weapons.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 14,703
Default

Quote:
I guess I should?
If you want the best answer to your question you’re likely to find.

For a take on dropping out solo there’s “The Man Who Quit Money”

I also found the book Into the Wild inspirational

If you can find it Hippycore Zines by this guy


https://www.google.com/amp/s/profane...this-week/amp/


Joel Olson doesn’t sugarcoat it

Trying to live outside the economy either alone or communally, according to everything I’ve read, is ****ing brutal.

1) almost everything in America is legally structured to make it as close to impossible as possible

2) supply and demand works against you : ****loads of people want what you’re talking about so space in a self-sustaining outsider community is precious

If everybody is offering heart you gotta offer more than heart

And once you’re competing for skills it’s just a reorganization of the f uckhery we already have

It seems like you’re saying you’d like to be a subsistence farmer with a safety net

You put in the sweat equity and the group takes care of you

but unless your commune is a complete society the government has a monopoly on safety nets

and if it is a complete society you’re beholden to it

You don’t want a cult

It’s like wanting to be a writer

It’s so hard it’s almost impossible

We’re not going to have access to your vision (which is the vision of escaping the paradigm of capitalism) unless we deconstruct our current power structure

That cannot be done by voting or any traditional political methods
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jacob Sartorius
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I want to have nothing to do with rent, mortgages, equity, credit score, or anything having to do with living in a capitalist society. I just want to be able to justify my ability to live in a community by my desire to contribute to a collective who I feel are worth contributing to to the point that I want to contribute more than I feel like I have to because it will make all of our lives better and more enjoyable. I want my justification to live in a community be something that I don't feel the need to justify. I just do it because it feels good and makes my fellow inhabitants' lives better in a tangible way. I don't even know what that means but god damn it there must be someone who does who's not a ****ing cult leader.
Time to join the Soviet Union Comrade.
__________________
MODS HAVE BIG GAY!
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 14,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Broken link btw.
https://www.amazon.com/Cometbus-48-B.../dp/B0035ZQ4AC
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
We’re not going to have access to your vision (which is the vision of escaping the paradigm of capitalism) unless we deconstruct our current power structure

That cannot be done by voting or any traditional political methods
I believe this too. The only way to change this mess would have to be world wide bloody revolution. But that's obviously going to be next to impossible to pull off if you think about it.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.