What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #17801 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 7,201
Default

I've seen embarassingly few Haneke films.
Funny Games, Caché and Benny's Video. (From most to least favourite. Really liked all three though.)
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #17802 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Cache and The Piano Teacher. Get on it.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #17803 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 7,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
I've seen embarassingly few Haneke films.
Funny Games, Caché and Benny's Video. (From most to least favourite. Really liked all three though.)
.

I didn't really like The Piano Teacher as a book, so I'm a little reluctant to see the movie...
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #17804 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,832
Default

Ya, what Frown said. They're so ****ing great.
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #17805 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
I don't know about that (aside from Joe Grizzly, that part is ****ing awesome) but House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects are two of my fav guilty pleasure films.
There's a lot of goofy **** and odd writing decisions going on in those movies, but as a series they're easily the most engaging thing about the franchise I've seen yet besides '78 Halloween. I think my fav thing about them is that they really show Michael Myers' physicality in a way that I've never seen before, even in the original. I honestly can't think of any slasher movie with violence as visually visceral as Zombie's Halloweens, just from a standpoint of how the killer moves.

Spoiler for spoiler:
You talk about Joe Grizzly, and that's definitely a standout part. I can't really think of many parts in any of the other movies that really made Myers looks like the engine of destruction he's supposed to be, but that part where he repeatedly slams a very large man into a bathroom stall until the stall wall actually crumples is pretty brutal. Also gotta shout out to the crushing-the-stripper's-face-against-a-wall scene from II.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #17806 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
.

I didn't really like The Piano Teacher as a book, so I'm a little reluctant to see the movie...
Have you seen Cache?

I'ven't read the book, the movie was great imo. Maybe it's better with all the great acting in it.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #17807 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
You talk about Joe Grizzly, and that's definitely a standout part. I can't really think of many parts in any of the other movies that really made Myers looks like the engine of destruction he's supposed to be, but that part where he repeatedly slams a very large man into a bathroom stall until the stall wall actually crumples is pretty brutal. Also gotta shout out to the crushing-the-stripper's-face-against-a-wall scene from II.

That's what I like about his film making. On the surface it just seems like a scene that's kind of silly and fun, but it also shows just how much of a monster Myers is. He may not be a cinematic genius, but he definitely puts more thought into some of his shots and scenes than he is given credit for.
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #17808 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
That's what I like about his film making. On the surface it just seems like a scene that's kind of silly and fun, but it also shows just how much of a monster Myers is. He may not be a cinematic genius, but he definitely puts more thought into some of his shots and scenes than he is given credit for.
And let's not forget that he also just seems to like to have scenes with some satisfying, over-the-top violence. Pretentious twats can say what they want to about exploitation, but nobody watches those kinds of movies who isn't there to get their gore fix. And Zombie delivers without being silly about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #17809 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,832
Default

Sweet kills >>>

__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #17810 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
Sweet kills >>>

Yeah, anytime Myers is standing over someone and just going to town with his knife is pretty much slasher movie porn. In a good way. The way he just keeps stabbing and stabbing and stabbing seems like how an actual sexual sadist in a killing frenzy might stab somebody to death. And the actor actually looks like he brings the knife down hard and fast enough that he could actually kill someone if it was real. They just sell the murder frenzy thing to the hilt.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.