Classic Albums I have never heard - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Members Journal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #181 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
You should do one like that in the future. Seriously consider it. You know we would back you and throw so many suggestions your way. You'd have to open your mind a bit for it though.
I'll take your suggestion under advisement. Yeah it's a good idea. Trouble is that would be like FIVE journals, and I don't think the universe is built to withstand such awesomeness! Nah the thing is it's hard enough keeping four going (as you can see) along with everything else -- my discographies of Marillion and Steve Earle, for example, and more to come --- without trying to fit in another. But I like the idea. Just won't happen for some time yet. Need my desk cleared, as it were. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Beware, however: feelings will more than likely be hurt, and a few hearts broken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstars View Post
Seeing as how you haven't reviewed "Nevermind" yet, I'm afraid I'll have to guilt trip you into it....

TROLLHEART! Why aren't you thinking of poor Powerstars at home with his two broken computers, being forced to browse the internet on his 3DS's crappy browser! The one thing he wants to read, and it's not up yet! Please, think about the children!


Nah, really though, can you tell me when you'll think about it? I already know that the "One Minute In" and "One Track In" rankings aren't gonna be good, cuz the first song is "Teen Spirit" but I think you'll like the rest. Heavy, but it has some melody.
All right, all right Mr 3DS! (What IS that anyway?) I'm doing it, I'm doing it! It's next up okay? Happy now you've ruined my whole Sunday?? Trying to review two metal albums a day plus everything else; think I don't have enough to do?

Watch for it in the next few days.
THEN
Close to the edge.
Definitely.
Maybe.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #182 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Powerstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll take your suggestion under advisement. Yeah it's a good idea. Trouble is that would be like FIVE journals, and I don't think the universe is built to withstand such awesomeness! Nah the thing is it's hard enough keeping four going (as you can see) along with everything else -- my discographies of Marillion and Steve Earle, for example, and more to come --- without trying to fit in another. But I like the idea. Just won't happen for some time yet. Need my desk cleared, as it were. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Beware, however: feelings will more than likely be hurt, and a few hearts broken...



All right, all right Mr 3DS! (What IS that anyway?) I'm doing it, I'm doing it! It's next up okay? Happy now you've ruined my whole Sunday?? Trying to review two metal albums a day plus everything else; think I don't have enough to do?

Watch for it in the next few days.
THEN
Close to the edge.
Definitely.
Maybe.
Yes. Yes, I'm very happy.

Really though, it should be a great read, along with Metal Month. Good on you and your hard work, TH.

BTW, 3DS is a handheld gaming system. Nothing people your age would care about.
__________________
My New Journal
Favorite Album Of The Moment: They Might Be Giants - Glean
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,710
Default

Hey I'm still reading the thread (agree on Loveless, I can't get into it even when i try) but I wanted to see if maybe you wanted to take these on judging by what you have on your list (I'm excited to see how you like After the Gold Rush, way better than Harvest as far as folky classics go for me):

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On (it's like the Smile of Soul)
The Beach Boys - Smile (it's like the ... no wait, it's really really great though)
The Stooges - Funhouse (it has its roots in rock like the White Stripes or ZZ Topp but is then warped by heroin, sex, and the devil)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #184 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll take your suggestion under advisement. Yeah it's a good idea. Trouble is that would be like FIVE journals, and I don't think the universe is built to withstand such awesomeness! Nah the thing is it's hard enough keeping four going (as you can see) along with everything else -- my discographies of Marillion and Steve Earle, for example, and more to come --- without trying to fit in another. But I like the idea. Just won't happen for some time yet. Need my desk cleared, as it were. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Beware, however: feelings will more than likely be hurt, and a few hearts broken...
See that's the thing about me saying in the future. I mentioned the future as in maybe you would have retired some of the other journals and you have more free time to open a new journal. I didn't mean currently by adding another journal to your already impressive list.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #185 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstars View Post
Yes. Yes, I'm very happy.

Really though, it should be a great read, along with Metal Month. Good on you and your hard work, TH.
Hey thanks! I don't really see it as work though; I just enjoy it and am happy if others do too.
Quote:
BTW, 3DS is a handheld gaming system. Nothing people your age would care about.
Meh, give me a cup-and-ball any time! New fangled gadgets, I don't know. You kids and your wireless radios, gramaphones, all instruments of the devil, wasn't like that in my day, made our own entertainment zzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Hey I'm still reading the thread (agree on Loveless, I can't get into it even when i try) but I wanted to see if maybe you wanted to take these on judging by what you have on your list (I'm excited to see how you like After the Gold Rush, way better than Harvest as far as folky classics go for me):

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On (it's like the Smile of Soul)
The Beach Boys - Smile (it's like the ... no wait, it's really really great though)
The Stooges - Funhouse (it has its roots in rock like the White Stripes or ZZ Topp but is then warped by heroin, sex, and the devil)
Thanks man. I intend to get back to this soon; Metal Month takes a huge amount of research and listening time. I'll definitely put Marvin on the list. I really hate the Beach Boys so probably not them and the Stooges don't really interest me, too punky. But you never know. I'll probably do Marvin sooner than later; I do like his music and there's certainly not enough soul here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
See that's the thing about me saying in the future. I mentioned the future as in maybe you would have retired some of the other journals and you have more free time to open a new journal. I didn't mean currently by adding another journal to your already impressive list.
Ok I see. Well the thing is I don't really see any of my journals being retired, other than perhaps this one at some point. I do like the idea though, but as I say I'd need to be free to embrace the concept. You make some very good points there.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,710
Default

Damn, you seemed like a Pet Sounds guy to me. No trouble, I still recommend it if you ever are interested in hearing "THE GREATEST ALBUM NEVER RELEASED (WELL UNTIL ABOUT TEN OR TWO YEARS AGO DEPENDING ON HOW YOU LOOK AT IT)", it has a really interesting history though. The Stooges i understand, their sound is pretty dirty and sloppy. I am glad Marvin made it though! It's a unique album in its own right, Soul aside, I'm thinking you'll enjoy it.

BTW that Sisters of Mercy album has a horrible cover, but I am interested, also now I'm gonna try Slowdive. Thanks! Probably will try Low again too, I started it a little bit ago and the first track put me off a little, but it sounds like either i'm just being picky or it gets wayyyy better. I did get a tiny bit into Station to Station's beginning and it sounded great.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #187 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,952
Default

Right Powerstars here you go. Be careful what you wish for...


Title: Nevermind
Artiste: Nirvana
Year: 1991
Chronological position: Second album
Previous experience of this artiste?: "Smells like teen spirit". That's it.
Why is this considered a classic? I have often asked myself this question without an answer.

My thoughts
One minute (or thereabouts in) ---- (Given the fact that I, like everyone on the planet, know "SLTS" I'm giving it till second track in before making any comments) Good, great, bad, meh, still waiting or other? Good
One track in --- Good
Halfway through --- Meh
Finished --- Very meh

Comments: Somebody please explain to me the attraction of Nirvana. Yeah, they were an okay band, but just okay as far as I can see. Why did they suddenly become the godfathers of grunge and rise to messianic stature? Just don't get it. Like, I'll be honest and credit where credit is due, it's a decent album. But it's not The Second Coming, as some (many) people would have you believe. I mean, I read that it's been included in the Library of Congress as a "culturally significant or historical recording", for ****'s sake! Was "Number of the Beast", "No sleep till Hammersmith", "Selling England by the pound" or even "Thriller" put in there? What is wrong with the world? This is NOT a religious experience! It's just an album, an okay album, maybe even a good album. But not anything to stick up on your dresser and worship with candles on either side of it.

I can think of a hundred better rock albums, none of which probably get this almost fanatical level of respect. It's like I said with "Loveless": what's the big fuss? It's okay but it's not to me a milestone in music history. Maybe it's because Cobain took his own life and there's a certain rabid fan mentality dedicated to preserving his memory, but do people feel the same about INXS? What about Boston? See? Suicide is not a reason to worship a singer. But I don't see anything hugely innovative or interesting about this album. It's not anything special, not to me. Maybe my perception is coloured by too many years of hearing how great Nirvana were, but I'm not signing up. Just on auto-pilot now, waiting for it to end. Hey, a new "Family guy!"

Favourite track(s): I couldn't use that word for any of the tracks here. Okay, okay: Something in the way is not terrible; the only one that actually made me listen.
Least favourite track(s): Most of them but Polly really bugs me, with its amateurish rhymes and depressing vocal. Territorial pissings is very annoying too.

Final impression --- Honestly? I'd rather listen to Slayer. Or Morbid Angel. Well, maybe not Morbid Angel. But Slayer would be preferable to this.

Do I feel, at the end, A) I wish I had listened to this sooner
B) I'm sorry I bothered
C) I might end up liking this
D) Have to wait and see
E) Bit underwhelmed; was ok but a classic?
F) Definitely enjoyed it, but again would I consider it a classic?


A big B here, though I suppose at least I can now say I've heard it and award it a great big MEH.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #188 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Powerstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 450
Default

Well I love the album to bits, but that's preference. Sorry to hear you weren't into it.
__________________
My New Journal
Favorite Album Of The Moment: They Might Be Giants - Glean
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #189 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,952
Default

It's not even that I wasn't into it. Given a few more listens I might like it and I don't hate it. But I do not see that it deserves or earns the messianic adoration people have given it. I mean, it's no "Dark side of the moon", "Zep IV" or "In rock" now is it? But as you say, it's all preference and while I wouldn't dismiss it as a bad album I would certainly not consider it what I would call a classic.

But then, what do I know?

"Close to the edge" next...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #190 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Somebody please explain to me the attraction of Nirvana. Yeah, they were an okay band, but just okay as far as I can see. Why did they suddenly become the godfathers of grunge and rise to messianic stature? Just don't get it. Like, I'll be honest and credit where credit is due, it's a decent album. But it's not The Second Coming, as some (many) people would have you believe.
Where were you and what were you listening to in 1991? Because I remember that was the first time that I'd heard of them and I remember just how unique they were, and the energy and focus that they had as well.

Quote:
I mean, I read that it's been included in the Library of Congress as a "culturally significant or historical recording", for ****'s sake! Was "Number of the Beast", "No sleep till Hammersmith", "Selling England by the pound" or even "Thriller" put in there? What is wrong with the world? This is NOT a religious experience! It's just an album, an okay album, maybe even a good album. But not anything to stick up on your dresser and worship with candles on either side of it.
To be fair it's the perfect example of what a "culturally significant and historical recording" should be, for the impact that it had on a generation and it's rather similar to what the Who's My Generation and the Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks had on previous generations.

I'm not sure why you've mentioned No Sleep till Hammersmith as this is a live album at a time when nearly all the best live bands were putting out great live albums anyway and it's just one of many at that time. The others could all be candidates but Number of the Beast for such an important album is actually quite disjointed, Thriller was what was expected and Selling England By the Pound came out at the height of prog, point being that all these albums with the exception of Iron Maiden were nothing new and overly surprising to the listener.

Quote:
I can think of a hundred better rock albums, none of which probably get this almost fanatical level of respect. It's like I said with "Loveless": what's the big fuss? It's okay but it's not to me a milestone in music history. Maybe it's because Cobain took his own life and there's a certain rabid fan mentality dedicated to preserving his memory, but do people feel the same about INXS? What about Boston? See? Suicide is not a reason to worship a singer.
I've listened to absolutely thousands of albums over the years and I can honestly say that Nevermind is actually one of the best and most complete from beginning to end. Sure the band were ruined with the hype surrounding Cobain, but suicide and death is all part of the romance that is rock and will probably never change.

Also I've no idea why you've mentioned Boston in this context either or are you referring to Brad Delp here?

Quote:
But I don't see anything hugely innovative or interesting about this album. It's not anything special, not to me. Maybe my perception is coloured by too many years of hearing how great Nirvana were, but I'm not signing up. Just on auto-pilot now, waiting for it to end. Hey, a new "Family guy!"
Just think of them as the Beatles, Black Sabbath and the Pixies all chucked in a liquidizer and you might actually enjoy them a lot more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.