Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Members Journal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Music Assassin
 
Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hell.
Posts: 192
Default Horror's Horror

Horror's Horror.
If you didn't guess this, I really, really like horror movies. As a person with way too much free time and wanting to curb boredom, here will be a place where I list all my favorite horror movies from each year. Some years might be
empty because, I didn't see anything from then or maybe didn't see anything worth mentioning at least. Each movie will have a full personal review or something stating why it's on the list. This should be fun.

If you feel you know a better movie than any I personally picked feel free to throw it my way. It has to be a horror movie though at least a horror sub genre. Stuff that might be considering horror/comedy is fine or horror/psychological. Get it? Cool.

These are all picked by year they came out on DVD rather than in theater so bare with that. Also if I have a year wrong on something please, let me know.

I decided to list all the movies I've complied thus far and will start with the current year and work backwards.

Hope you have a spoopy time! Mwahahahahahahahaha!


Movies in orange are up next. Movies in purple are finished.
2015 : It Follows
2014 : Oculus
2013 : The Collection
2012 : Cabin In the Woods
2011 : Stakeland
2010 : The Loved Ones
2009 : Ponty Pool
2008: Teeth
2007: Dead Silence
2006: Slither
2005: The Devil's Rejects
2004: Cabin Fever
2003: Ghostship
2002:
2001: 13 Ghosts
2000: Blood The Last Vampire
1999: House on Haunted Hill
1998: Strangeland


-----------------
Recommendations
-----------------
Dust Devil
Let The Right One In
Los Muertos
Begotten
(Original) Funny Games
Creep*
Borgman
The Crue (Japanese)
Calvaire
Possession



---------------------
Give me a little time and I'll be updating this soon!

Last edited by Horror; 12-13-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

I'm not at all into horror movies, but I have seen some good ones which you might be interested in. There's one called Dust Devil (I can give you a link to my review of it if you want) and then there's the original (not the remake) of Let the Right One In, fantastic vampire movie. I rather like John Carpenter's Vampires and its sequel Los Muertos, and then there's the (again, original) of Fright Night and of course The Lost Boys, though whether they would qualify as horror or not I don't know. Finally, though a science-fiction film, if you haven't seen Event Horizon yet, you should check that out.

I'm sure you'll be inundated with recs, but from my limited (very limited) enjoyment of horror style movies, this is what I have for you to start with.

Best of luck!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,284
Default

^The remake of Let the Right One In is just as good imo, I just don't see the point in making it as the only major difference is the language it's spoken in.

Here are two not exactly horror films that you could call horror that I love.
Begotten
Funny Games
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Music Assassin
 
Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hell.
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'm not at all into horror movies, but I have seen some good ones which you might be interested in. There's one called Dust Devil (I can give you a link to my review of it if you want) and then there's the original (not the remake) of Let the Right One In, fantastic vampire movie. I rather like John Carpenter's Vampires and its sequel Los Muertos, and then there's the (again, original) of Fright Night and of course The Lost Boys, though whether they would qualify as horror or not I don't know. Finally, though a science-fiction film, if you haven't seen Event Horizon yet, you should check that out.

I'm sure you'll be inundated with recs, but from my limited (very limited) enjoyment of horror style movies, this is what I have for you to start with.

Best of luck!
I've never heard of Dust Devil so, yes feel free to link my to your review of it.

As for Let the Right One In, I saw the remake and I know it's nearly a sin but, I plan to watch the original at some point. I liked the remake, thought it was done well and the kids were really great in their roles but, I know they changed a lot.

Come on now of course I've watch John Carpenter's Vampires. I'm just not much of a fan of vampires in general. At least they don't SPARKLE IN THE SUN THOUGH. My favorite vampire movie is From Dusk Til Dawn though. I might be bias because, I've always crushed on George Clooney. Nah, it's actually just a really good movie.

Los Muertos I don't think I have watched thank you for giving me some material I haven't heard of before.

Watched both the original and (horrible) remake of Fright Night (Colin is such a pretentious twat) the original is alright.

The Lost Boys is a classic and I still feel chills when I hear that song. You know the one.

I do believe I've watched Event Horizon but, can't say I remember it well so I'll have to check on that one.

Thanks so, so much for taking the time to give me these.
Quote:
^The remake of Let the Right One In is just as good imo, I just don't see the point in making it as the only major difference is the language it's spoken in.

Here are two not exactly horror films that you could call horror that I love.
Begotten
Funny Games
Funny Games I can't remember if I watched both or just the more modern (perhaps remake) one. Either way I remember it being the best home invasion movie I've watched even up until today. Fantastic movie. That being said I think I've never watched the original so maybe I should!

"This gory and entirely visual film tells the surreal tale of the death and rebirth of gods." - YES PLEASE.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some recs!
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,284
Default

To be fair, the Funny Games remake is actually surprisingly similar to the Let the Right One In remake in that they're both basically identical films to their respective originals apart from the cast, production quality, and such.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,855
Default

Both Funny Games movies are even done by the same director.
I haven't seen the remake, but the acting in the original version is great and I can't imagine the remake being better in that department. Also Germans are always good for adding some creepiness.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,284
Default

Naomi Watts is a million times hotter than Susanne Lothar, ergo she's a better actress. Honestly though, I'd say that the acting is on par with the original tbh. The director generally plays a big role on the acting styles, and given how anal Haneke is about his films it shouldn't be any surprise.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Music Assassin
 
Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hell.
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
To be fair, the Funny Games remake is actually surprisingly similar to the Let the Right One In remake in that they're both basically identical films to their respective originals apart from the cast, production quality, and such.
I think there's a bias with the original films. A cult following. It's like when you take my favorite horror movie (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and remake it there's going to be a bunch of puritans that will shun even the idea. Though, this might be a bad example considering they changed a lot.

I actually really enjoyed the remake it was well done IMO but, lacked the kind of home movie quality the original had it was almost like actually watching something really happening. That could just be the charm of older movies though. It's nearly impossible to do in recent years when everything is so polished.

Quote:
grindy Both Funny Games movies are even done by the same director.
I haven't seen the remake, but the acting in the original version is great and I can't imagine the remake being better in that department. Also Germans are always good for adding some creepiness.
The remake is well done. It feels real. It's creepy as hell and if I didn't know that they were actors I would believe I had been watching some sick recording someone just put on my TV. It doesn't try too hard to be what it isn't.

Quote:
Naomi Watts is a million times hotter than Susanne Lothar, ergo she's a better actress. Honestly though, I'd say that the acting is on par with the original tbh. The director generally plays a big role on the acting styles, and given how anal Haneke is about his films it shouldn't be any surprise.
I'm really bad with names but, I think I might have to watch the original now just for kicks maybe one day when I find myself bored and have nothing to do.
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror View Post
I think there's a bias with the original films. A cult following. It's like when you take my favorite horror movie (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and remake it there's going to be a bunch of puritans that will shun even the idea. Though, this might be a bad example considering they changed a lot.

I actually really enjoyed the remake it was well done IMO but, lacked the kind of home movie quality the original had it was almost like actually watching something really happening. That could just be the charm of older movies though. It's nearly impossible to do in recent years when everything is so polished.

The remake is well done. It feels real. It's creepy as hell and if I didn't know that they were actors I would believe I had been watching some sick recording someone just put on my TV. It doesn't try too hard to be what it isn't.
Pretty much agree with everything that you've said here, although there are a couple of exceptions to the original is better theory like Scarface, True Grit, and Insomnia.

Another rec: Creep. I thought that it was a really well done found footage movie, a genre that has gotten a pretty bad reputation over the years after all of the Blair Witch ripoffs. Still, worth the time even if you can say that you saw it.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,855
Default

Have you seen Borgman? I've seen it being called a horror movie, although I'd say it's more of a surrealistic, very dark comedy.

Another weird, but good one is Possession (the one from 1981). Unlike Borgman, which is all around very watchable and entertaining, this one is only for people who can stomach some very artsy stuff. I'd say it's worth the effort though.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.