The Ramones Vs. The Sex Pistols - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Default The Ramones Vs. The Sex Pistols

I know, this has probably been done countless times, but these are two of the biggest Punk bands of all time. I want to know which you prefer.

The Ramones are way better, without a doubt. I like their music more, I feel they had a bigger impact on Punk (I think people overhype The Pistols impact), and unlike The Pistols, The Ramones WEREN'T a manufactured band.
PhantomMartyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

The Ramones have always bored me to tears. The Sex Pistols might have made terrible music, but have a more interesting sound in my opinion and get a kick out of listening to them despite only having made one album.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Default

I feel the same about the Pistols. They have **** music, and they're the *******s that made Punk about fashion. They were manufactured to sell records and to sell Malcolm McLaren's Sex clothing line. I find it funny whenever one of the Pistols calls someone else fake Punks, because they are the ultimate sellout fake Punk manufactured boy band. I seriously hate the Pistols with a burning passion, and yet everyone loves them to death. ****ing overrated **** band is what they are.
PhantomMartyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

I don't think The Pistols made great music either but I'd take them over The Ramones any day. I could never get into them despite many attempts.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomMartyr
I feel the same about the Pistols. They have **** music, and they're the *******s that made Punk about fashion. They were manufactured to sell records and to sell Malcolm McLaren's Sex clothing line. I seriously hate the Pistols with a burning passion, and yet everyone loves them to death. ****ing overrated **** band is what they are.




Idk any punk that says the sex pistols are their fav band, they aren't loved by their music, they're loved by their punk spirit, that self destructive behavior alot of punks worship as anarchy.

The Ramones aren't that type of band, they're more about the music than the attitude, they're practically the Beach boys of punk the only edge they have is on those shades and leather jackets they wore on stage but their dedication to the music made them a better band than the sex pistols imo.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomMartyr View Post
I know, this has probably been done countless times, but these are two of the biggest Punk bands of all time. I want to know which you prefer.

The Ramones are way better, without a doubt. I like their music more, I feel they had a bigger impact on Punk (I think people overhype The Pistols impact), and unlike The Pistols, The Ramones WEREN'T a manufactured band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomMartyr View Post
I feel the same about the Pistols. They have **** music, and they're the *******s that made Punk about fashion. They were manufactured to sell records and to sell Malcolm McLaren's Sex clothing line. I find it funny whenever one of the Pistols calls someone else fake Punks, because they are the ultimate sellout fake Punk manufactured boy band. I seriously hate the Pistols with a burning passion, and yet everyone loves them to death. ****ing overrated **** band is what they are.
I can see this is going to be another great discussion, as you have your mind already made up concerning the two bands.

The Sex Pistols may have been manufactured, but the impact they had on the UK music scene in 1976-1978 was quite amazing, as nobody really sounded like them before.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,557
Default

I don't see why people say the Sex Pistols were manufactured. They were a band before Malcom McLaren came along. He may have given them Johnny Rotten, but he didn't invent the band. And they didn't become a "boy band" until they kicked Glann Matlock, their main songwriter, out and replaced him with Sid Vicious.

And if you were gonna call the Sex Pistols manufactured then you may be able to say the same thing about the Clash to some extent. Their Manager Bernie Rhodes basically put together London SS, the band that eventually became the Clash, just like people claim that McLaren put together the Sex Pistols, and pushed them into the whole political direction they went possibly even more than the band wanted to go themselves.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,364
Default

Definitely the Sex Pistols.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I can see this is going to be another great discussion, as you have your mind already made up concerning the two bands.

The Sex Pistols may have been manufactured, but the impact they had on the UK music scene in 1976-1978 was quite amazing, as nobody really sounded like them before.
Nobody, except the numerous Punk bands that were around BEFORE The Sex Pistols.
PhantomMartyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomMartyr View Post
Nobody, except the numerous Punk bands that were around BEFORE The Sex Pistols.
Such as?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.