Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Big Dog
 
14232949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
-similarly, associating 90's hip hop with "good", simultaneously assuming newer hip hop is shallower
I feel this is the case with A Nation of Millions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post

I understand. Can you really enjoy slick rick then? He raps about being a ganbanger.

I can empathize with Public Enemy because I believe oppression at the hands of the government exists, whether or not i am part of the lowest socioeconomic minority or not.
Yeah sure, I know it exists. But the plight of the black man in the 80's doesn't really interest me in 2012.
Slick Rick was in character, it's not supposed to be taking literal, check Children's Story. It's just enjoyable for being off-the-wall and imaginative, as the title suggests he's a great story teller.
The fact he has the unique mix of African American and Londoner accent definitely helps.

As for production, you can't say that hasn't aged with time, you think A Nation of Millions sounds like something Clams Casino would turn out today. I don't.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrycaaant View Post
I feel this is the case with A Nation of Millions.
Quote:
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is the second studio album by American hip hop group Public Enemy, released in April 1988
Fluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrycaaant View Post
I enjoy Rakim as a rapper, the guy was the innovator of multi syllable rapping and if it weren't for him we'd be stuck in the dark ages of novelty (eugh, I don't even want to call it hip-hop) like Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash. Okay, the production isn't the greatest, but neither is Public Enemy's, they did what they could do with that they had at the time.

Yes, I understand the record is about the oppression of the black man and Chuck and Flava encouraging their 'brothers' to rise up, but as a white teenager who was born in '93, I find it hard to connect with this album, so it loses its most redeeming feature on me. If you take out their political message, really what are you left with on this record.
Below par production and a lot of shouting 'Terminator X', naa not for me.
I'm not all that interested in the political message. It's the music I like, and I think It Takes a Nation has some of the best production of any hip hop album of that era. For me still holds up very well and has more bite to it than a lot of much more recent hip hop.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #34 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not all that interested in the political message. It's the music I like, and I think It Takes a Nation has some of the best production of any hip hop album of that era. For me still holds up very well and has more bite to it than a lot of much more recent hip hop.
Agree.


Public Enemy - Show Em What You Got - YouTube
Fluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
The Big Dog
 
14232949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not all that interested in the political message. It's the music I like, and I think It Takes a Nation has some of the best production of any hip hop album of that era. For me still holds up very well and has more bite to it than a lot of much more recent hip hop.
I don't buy that A Nation of Millions sounds as good in terms of production as Cancer for Cure, R.A.P Music, Good Kid Maad City or any other recent hip-hop album.
Sure, I could point at really bad new albums such as anything by Lil Wayne and say 'ah music these days, not like Public Enemy' which I'm sure a lot of people use as logic but I'm not going to.

As far as being considered one of THE hip hop albums that one must hear, there's nothing all that great about it in my opinion. Usually when the media harps on and on about an album you expect it to have some form of redeeming quality, but I just felt as if A Nation of Millions insists too much on itself, saying 'Look at me, I'm a political revolutionary album; praise me'

I shall not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
Knew there'd be someone being technical.

My point is that I think a lot of people highly praise the media acclaimed older albums such as A Nation of Millions or Ready To Die for no real reason.
They're not as good as Rolling Stone would have you believe.
And they don't stand up to the top albums of today.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrycaaant View Post
I don't buy that A Nation of Millions sounds as good in terms of production as Cancer for Cure, R.A.P Music, Good Kid Maad City or any other recent hip-hop album.
Sure, I could point at really bad new albums such as anything by Lil Wayne and say 'ah music these days, not like Public Enemy' which I'm sure a lot of people use as logic but I'm not going to.
It's cool how you responded to something I didn't say. Good work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #37 (permalink)
The Big Dog
 
14232949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,948
Default

it's **** like this that annoys me.



As if listening to Public Enemy makes you profound. I'm sure this '15 year old' could have listened to Kendrick Lemar or something and been equally impressed.
There seems to be an elitism attached with this group and from just clicking one random Pubic Enemy video I was able to find one of the fanboys I detest.
It gives me further reason to be off-put by this average at best group.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrycaaant View Post
it's **** like this that annoys me.



As if listening to Public Enemy makes you profound. I'm sure this '15 year old' could have listened to Kendrick Lemar or something and been equally impressed.
There seems to be an elitism attached with this group and from just clicking one random Pubic Enemy video I was able to find one of the fanboys I detest.
It gives me further reason to be off-put by this average at best group.
The kid did have a point with Drake, Lil and young money.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Big Dog
 
14232949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,948
Default

It's the ignorance of the 'music these days' mentality that just annoys me.
These people have no idea what they're talking about.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,424
Default

But PE > Kendrick Lamar.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.