Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #271 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
How would you even make that argument? You'd have to presume to know what people think and feel to know how to make that judgment.
Well, how can you make your argument without knowing what people think and feel to know how to make a judgement?

I can make my argument by spotting people whose opinions are just copied and pasted from Rolling Stone.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #272 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 16,995
Default

OK I was using real people but in a hypothetical situation to clarify my position.

Sorry you're disappointed Trolls <3
__________________
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #273 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
By spotting people whose opinions are just copied and pasted from Rolling Stone.
Does anyone even know or care what Rollingstone thinks anymore?
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #274 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Does anyone even know or care what Rollingstone thinks anymore?
No one except for folks who can't form their own opinions.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #275 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
No one except for folks who can't form their own opinions.
Doesn't sound like any frequent poster in here, unless you're jabbing at Chula for thinking Led Zeppelin is the greatest thing ever.

EDIT: Not my opinion of Chula. Just trying to figure out who you're sneakily referring to.
EDIT2: Never mind. I realize I'm the only one who framed the discussion as more about people in here, not just people in general.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #276 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 16,995
Default

Shazam, people who go in for good world music almost universally appreciate western avant garde. If you're not there with western music you're not going to be there with Oriental and African music either.
__________________
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #277 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Doesn't sound like any frequent poster in here, unless you're jabbing at Chula for thinking Led Zeppelin is the greatest thing ever.
Mods don't talk to or about members, but I might be talking about Chula's parrot tactics among other things.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #278 (permalink)
Boneshaker Baby
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Looking for drugs
Posts: 12,328
Default

I respect people with very niche tastes over someone with broad tastes

even though the latter seems to be held up as the test more often

feel like tastes should become refined not just in music but across most things

what are we talking about now
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"Life sucks. It’s a miserable hell being a living organism"

https://spiderchildrecords.bandcamp.com/
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #279 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Shazam, people who go in for good world music almost universally appreciate western avant garde. If you're not there with western music you're not going to be there with Oriental and African music either.
Good thing you said almost, I guess. I like the latter, but don't really listen to avant garde.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #280 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I respect people with very niche tastes over someone with broad tastes

even though the latter seems to be held up as the test more often

feel like tastes should become refined not just in music but across most things
You can have both broad and niche tastes, though. A wide variety of genres, spanning both niche and more above ground artists and styles.

I guess, given the premise of this whole discussion over the last several pages, that I'd say I respect broad tastes more than anything specific like a taste for avant garde. If someone has broad tastes, they would seem able to give a variety of things a shot and grow to like them. That's really all I need to take someone seriously. If a hypothetical other person knew everything about avant garde and jazz, but didn't really listen to anything else, I'd rather listen to the musical opinions of the person with very broad tastes.

So basically I respect the musical opinions of everyone on MB. No one in here seems musically closed minded to me. I don't think so at least. I don't have a good grasp of the tastes of every single member.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.